Atari Anthology & Atari 7800 remake

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
I own a supped up COLECOVISION that plays my 2600 line up, but no 7800 games thus yeah, I'll buy that package... why not? The 7800 was a bad ass system it just came out waaaaay to late to take any market share from Hiroshi Yamuchi's syndicate .... err.... NINTENDO who's NES was the #1 system at the time.

MERCENARY X99

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
I threw up when I started playing my 2600 again. Compared to the arcade versions of everything, its complete shit.

So no thanks, Ill take mame, midway arcade treasures, namco museum, and the actuall PCB's over the raped ass atari versions of games.

aria

Former Moderator
Nesagwa said:
I threw up when I started playing my 2600 again. Compared to the arcade versions of everything, its complete shit.

So no thanks, Ill take mame, midway arcade treasures, namco museum, and the actuall PCB's over the raped ass atari versions of games.

Yeah, I feel the same way about the "ports" (as such) from those early days.

When you think about it, some of the best ports on the NES were complete, ground-up reworking of the arcade originals like SNK's own Ikari Warriors or Guerilla War.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I want a complete list of the 85 games. If somehow the old version of the original Mario Bros. is on there, I will get five of them. That port is the best version of the game ever released, and remains one of my favorite one-on-one games of all time. In its day, it brought me more complaints from landlord and neighbors than all other games, loud music, drunk guests put together. Although a lot of the time it was all those things combined anyway. Even one of my roommate's girlfriends couldn't hack it and finally moved out (wasn't paying rent anyway), always complaining "Have to get up in the morning", "It's 4 in the morning", "Don't you guys have jobs", etc.. Rookie.

edit: and if it contains Arkon, I'll buy another 3 copies.

Last edited:

Xero

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
This is from Gamestop.com

* 18 Classic Arcade Games – Atari® Anthology features 18 of the most memorable games to ever hit the arcades including Asteroids, Battlezone, Centipede, Liberator, Crystal Castles, Missile Command, TEMPEST and many more not have seen in years.

* 62 Atari 2600 Carts – Massive gameplay offering that will deliver some of the most addictive game designs ever. Including Gravitar, Millipede, Super Breakout, Video Pinball and Warlords.

* Five Bonus Games – Off the Wall, Blackjack, Steeplechase, Desert Falcon and Sprintmaster – Never released since the 80s.

* Challenge Modes – These exciting new challenges include timed hot-seat competitions, the psychedelic Trippy Mode, Double Speed games, Time Warp games and Time Challenges that will test player’s abilities in the extreme.

* Incredible 3D Interface

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
They need to put E.T. on it, and should also include a video of Howard Warsaw doing that gay ass dance he did for the G4 commercial.

et.jpg

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Solaris makes me buy.

Granted a lot of 2600 stuff is shocking, but there's some fun too be had.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Can't say i'm too excited. For the most part most of the Atari 2600 games. Were ports of Arcade games. Down size to run on the hardware. Still the system did have some, of it's own original games. That were fun i'm not sure, if the collection will have some of those. If it does have some, of those original Atari 2600, games on it i might get it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Bobak said:
Yeah, I feel the same way about the "ports" (as such) from those early days.

When you think about it, some of the best ports on the NES were complete, ground-up reworking of the arcade originals like SNK's own Ikari Warriors or Guerilla War.

You forgot about SNK's Iron Tank, their NES-ish variant of their older arcade title "Tank".

Damn it, why do you people never talk about Iron Tank... One of the best damn games ever made... I 'm starting to feel for Res-O-Glas and his Riding Hero fetish :loco:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I actually heard them(radio host) talking about this collection on the radio today. I think most people who buy this wont be playing it after a week or two. I mean after you relived some old memories you realize that the games you grew up loving no longer have that luster you remember. But still some games are great no matter how old they are.

I would still prefer that companies release the aracde originals instead of outdated ports that sucked compared to the real thing in the first place.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Well I would KILL for arcade perfect "Ports" of:

Contra
Super Contra
Devastators
MX-5000
L.S.A. Squad
Guerrilla War
P.O.W.
Ikari Warriors 1-3
G.I. JOE
Rastan Saga
Warrior Blade: Rastan Saga III

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I still own a Junior VCS2600 and 11 games (Pac Man, Defender, Asteroids, you know the score), and about once or twice a year, I undust the whole stuff, plug it in and play away for a while, but ever since the late 80s, I quickly lose interest in all those sub-sub-sub-par, bleepy and sometimes unplayable ports of otherwise excellent arcade games.

That's not to say all VCS games would be bad, far from it, it's just like others already said, 90% of the arcade originals these games are based on are available on other/better platforms as well, just think of all those arcade classic collections for PSX/PS2, PC, Xbox, etc.

However, that miniaturized 7800 makes me curious, and specially the announcement of including Saboteur:

saboteur.png
saboteur-screen1.png

saboteur-screen2.png

I didn't know that it was planned to release the game on the Atari platform. It's really good, some sort of early version of Shinobi, kept me playing for weeks. The shots are from the C=64 version, btw.

I just hope they don't come up with one of those lame DSP-based retro consoles like the "games in a stick" thing with 8 or 10 VCS2600 titles... Asteroids is even crappier on it than it was on the original console...

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Mercenary X99 said:

Contra
Super Contra
Devastators
MX-5000
L.S.A. Squad
Guerrilla War
P.O.W.
Ikari Warriors 1-3
G.I. JOE
Rastan Saga
You and me both. The thought has cross my mind many times. I love to see a collection of old, Arcade games from Konami and Snk. Then agian geting these two compenys to do it,is like pulling teeth. :shame:

jaydubnb

Windjammers Wonder
Mercenary X99 said:

Contra
Super Contra
Devastators
MX-5000
L.S.A. Squad
Guerrilla War
P.O.W.
Ikari Warriors 1-3
G.I. JOE
Rastan Saga

Hell yeah! POW was a great game that gets no love. Definitely one of the gems that slipped through the cracks.

Thereverend

Banned
Tron 2.0 said:
You and me both. The thought has cross my mind many times. I love to see a collection of old, Arcade games from Konami and Snk. Then agian geting these two compenys to do it,is like pulling teeth. :shame:

List some classic sega Arcade games you wanna see

Bet they'll do it

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Thereverend said:
List some classic sega Arcade games you wanna see

Bet they'll do it
I don't need to mention much. Since a lot of there, arcade classic have been put on Sega Ages, for the Saturn or GameWorks for the DC. Still i can name a few that could use it or, haven't been in a "collection" or crappy emulation. That need a perfect port.

CyberPolice Eswat Genesis version is missing 2p mode.

Chop Lifter I know it's on the SMS, but it be nice if it was on a collection.

Golden Axe Sorry the crappy emulation on the SegaSmashPack doesn't cut it.

Turbo One of Sega most early raceing games. It would be nice to have on a collection.

Zaxxon Another game for, some reason has never. Found it's way on a collection either.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Tron 2.0 said:
Zaxxon Another game for, some reason has never. Found it's way on a collection either.

I still play my copy of Zaxxon on a regular basis on my modded COLECOVISION and it was a damn near perfect arcade port, but then most people forget that the CV was basically a SMS before their was an SMS... not quite as powerfull but just barely under it. The system was never fully utilized to it's "Maximum Potential"

*Someone else mentioned FOOD FIGHT, to that I say...

:buttrock:

MERCENARY X99

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Mercenary X99 said:
I still play my copy of Zaxxon on a regular basis on my modded COLECOVISION and it was a damn near perfect arcade port, but then most people forget that the CV was basically a SMS before their was an SMS... not quite as powerfull but just barely under it. The system was never fully utilized to it's "Maximum Potential"

*Someone else mentioned FOOD FIGHT, to that I say...

:buttrock:

MERCENARY X99
I for got it was on the Colecovision. Never got to play that port, at one time i did have the system. I bought one a few years ago used. I thought it would be fun to play agian,but i didn't enjoy "it" like i did as a kid. So i sold the Colecovision agian through Ebay. I just think afther all this time, Zaxxon should be in a collection. It's been ages afther all.

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
Takumaji said:
I just hope they don't come up with one of those lame DSP-based retro consoles like the "games in a stick" thing with 8 or 10 VCS2600 titles... Asteroids is even crappier on it than it was on the original console...
The photo that accompanied the Atari Flashback article in yesterday's paper (can't find an online copy of the photo), showed an almost featureless console (large logo, but no visible switches/buttons) and 2 controllers.

--Chris