Article: Online gamers show the same signs of addiction as gamblers and drug addicts

C.A.R25

Genjuro's Frog
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=419276&in_page_id=1770

Thousands of people who log on to online computer games are displaying the same signs of addiction as gamblers and drug users.

The world of online gaming is a growing phenomenon with millions of young men and women around the globe logging on to join in role-play games which allow them to interact with other players.

A study of 7,000 online computer gamers has revealed that one in nine were displaying at least three signs of addiction.

The subjects, mostly male and with an average age of 21, were asked to fill out two questionnaires.

The addictive signs they displayed were modelled on the symptoms of dependence syndrome outlined by the World Health Organisation.

They included craving, withdrawal symptoms, loss of control and neglect of other activities.

The results will prove alarming for parents, whose children spend hours on the computer.

One fantasy game in which players populate a virtual mystical world of dragons and wizards has even been dubbed EverCrack, in a reference to the drug, instead of EverQuest, because of its addictive quality.

It has been cited in marriage break-ups, child-neglect cases and even an obsessive player's suicide.

An EverQuest Widows support group has been set up for people who have lost partners through the game.

It follows fears about the consequences of online gambling, as well as studies showing the addictive quality of both the internet and stand alone computer games.

The study is the work of Professor Mark Griffths, director of the International Gaming Research Unit at Nottingham Trent University and is to form a talk as part of the British Science Museum's "Game On" lecture series.

"Addicted" gamers were compared to the remaining players and it was found that they played for much longer periods and were "significantly" more likely to report withdrawal symptoms and craving.

Last night Prof Griffiths said it was a largely adult phenomenon because most online gaming sites require a credit card subscription, the average age of an online gamer is 29 to 30.

However he did find that some teenagers were playing, after parents subscribed to the sites.

About 20 per cent of players are women, drawn by the social an cooperative element of the games.

"Although I think genuine addiction is fairly low, the thing about online gaming is that the game never stops," said Prof Griffiths. "With a stand alone game you can switch it off and come back the next day, but with an on-line game it's very difficult to log off when you know half the world has just logged on.

"Many gamers play excessively and display few negative consequences. There is nothing wrong in itself with doing something excessively, unlike gambling gaming has little or no financial consequence.

"However, the 24-hour a day never-ending online games may provide a potentially addictive medium for those with a predisposition for excessive game playing."

The research is to be published in an upcoming issue of the journal CyberPsychology and Behaviour.

EverQuest and World of Warcraft are two of the biggest online games.

Seven million people subscribe to World of Warcraft to join a virtual world of Lord of the Rings-type characters such as orcs, elves, gnomes, dwarves and humans. Fees are typically about £8 a month.

But such games have come in for much greater criticism.

A woman in the U.S blamed a game on the death of her 21-year-old son, who had a history of mental health problems, and shot himself while still sitting at his computer.

In countries such as the US, China and South Korea it is not unusual to find a whole host of special treatments and clinics claiming to hold a cure for the compulsive gamer.

In South Korea, the authorities have become so concerned by the numbers of young people spending too much time on computers that the government launched a nationwide addiction hotline to help combat the problem.

In January this year a Dutch addiction centre added Europe's first rehab clinic for cyber-addicts, after an increase in gamers yearning to cure themselves of their online vices.

What is your view on this article, considering that this is a gaming forum? I can relate to the addiction of online games to some extent... because I find myself playing PC online games much more often than any console type game... BUT it's hard to think someone could commit suicide over any game... I would guess that the kid would have shot himself if he were just to see himself in a mirror, thinking "my life aint worth living anymore... BANG!"

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I didn't read the article. but I have no doubt that gaming is as addictive as drugs can be - and probably helps to keep some people from consuming them simply because they are into videogames. which is better? I don't know.
I don't really care either.

edit: best thing that could happen to mankind is that the internet implodes and dissapears forever.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I've never seen a Gamming Addict go through my building and try to open every door.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
The world of online gaming is a growing phenomenon with millions of young men and approximately sixty women, fifty of which are actually men, the rest being extremely overweight (and therefore could technically be classified as whales, and not women), around the globe logging on to join in role-play games which allow them to interact with other players.
Fixed. The article got it wrong.

edit:
About 20 per cent of players are women (or, more accurately, either men pretending to be women, or beached whales) drawn by the social an cooperative element of the games.
they got that wrong too

edit2:
and btw this wouldn't be a problem if all those damn nerds would just get laid.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
A woman in the U.S blamed a game on the death of her 21-year-old son, who had a history of mental health problems, and shot himself while still sitting at his computer.

Says it all...

Judas Priest Caused those mentally disturbed kids in Eastbumfuck to kill themselves.
Doom and KMFDM caused those kids in Colorodo to shoot up thier school (Or was it Bowling?).

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Uhh didn't 60 mintutes cover this subject all ready :p

Formation Z

Amusaka's Lacky
Yeah 60 Minutes did cover it. I believe it also covered a gamer's suicide because a female character broke up with him in a MMORPG. Such a shame....the kid was a straight A student

Ugh I stay away from that stuff like the plague...I'll just stick to kaillera.

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
norton9478 said:
Says it all...

Judas Priest Caused those mentally disturbed kids in Eastbumfuck to kill themselves.
Doom and KMFDM caused those kids in Colorodo to shoot up thier school (Or was it Bowling?).

The crux of the argument isn't that World of Warcraft is directly killing people, like how Judas Priest, Doom, etc. are all accused of doing, what the accusation is is that MMOs are not for people fucked in the dome in specific ways.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
You know, being a large gaming advocate, I can agree with that article. I know a few people who are WoW addicts....bad. Both are married and both will completely interrupt their lives to go on some "quest" or some "adventure". One is my cousin's husband and he'll actually leave family events, and his wife to go on some WoW raid. He'll sit there and look at their watch over and over again talking about what time he has to leave.. Neither are nerds funny enough, as a matter of fact, up until WoW they were both sports fanatics. All they would talk about is fantasy football, their team(s) and playing league basketball and softball.

Concerning my cousin's husband, funny enough it has put serious stress on his wife. I guess he plays it constantly after getting home from work (he's a higher up at Caterpillar BTW).

Personally, I stay clear from open ended games like that, I could easily see myself getting sucked into it. Hell, I stay away from games like Final Fantasy for the same reason.

mohamed

Banned
Wow is the cheapest drug I can afford. it takes my time while my homegrown mushrooms grow up and other stuff. all this article does is attempt to scare the public into bieng more productive. also its an empty media story.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
mohamed said:
Wow is the cheapest drug I can afford. it takes my time while my homegrown mushrooms grow up and other stuff. all this article does is attempt to scare the public into bieng more productive. also its an empty media story.

Go away noob....

Robert

20 Year Member
Hopefully, I have never found the slightest interest in any online game so I'm safe.

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
It's the parents fault for not cracking the whip at a young age.

melchia

Franco's Trainer
zapatistab said:
It's the parents fault for not cracking the whip at a young age.
no kidding - this epidemic of 20-30 something year olds staying and living a fantasy life has got to stop! :loco:

Pocketgamer

Ukyo's Doctor
15 Year Member
We already know that video games is like crack! Yet we are still in denial because its safer than actually doing drugs.

aria

Former Moderator
I think this can be safely called fairly old news --even in the mainstream media:

Anyone remember those Koreans who died from playing too long?

I mean, if that didn't show a possible addition problem I don't know what did. All I know is that I mined all the available data on MMORPGs for 2 different papers in law school :p

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
MMORPG's are way worse than RTS...

A MMORPG is an never ending, never fullfilling quest.

RTS's are 30 minute(average) matches. Once the match is completed, you sit back for a few minutes and get ready for the next. Each time, you feel a sense of closure. After about 8 hours, you get sick of it. The longest I've ever played an RTS is 16 straight hours.... But I was taking breaks. Now days, I play about 3-10 matches of warcraft III per day.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I think the MMO addiction thing is misinterpreted BS. As the games themselves are largely repetitive and get old fast, the only thing that keeps people coming back are the friends/enemies they make and the desire to show off. Being "addicted" to social interaction is pretty much a part of the human condition. Would MMOs be addictive without the online experience? No. What's the only difference offline vs online? Interacting with people. That's addictive? Duh.

Edit: Disturbing point... I joined the forums in 2K1. I can't name a single video game either offline or online I've been playing steadily from then until now, but I'm still posting... therefore these forums are more addictive than any offline game or MMO. ;)

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Online games are great.

Warcraft III cost me a realationship that I didn't want to be in.