Are you a 'Cabinet shaker?'

The Auction Sniper

Host for Orochi
You know, the type of person who makes the whole cabinet shake while trying to pull off moves in fighting games?

I admit that I occasionally do - it usually happens when I try to pluu off a Shoryuken in SFA3 in desperation if I'm about to be beaten (I'm acutally a very good player though).

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Well...I really do push hard on the joysticks during a fighting game.
I've never noticed the cab shake but I've never payed attention to that..
Hmmm..I wonder..
I'm not a big guy and I think the cab weighs about 300pds.
I'm only 175 pds,....but it's possible.
I was playing MOTW,,,Breakers yesterday and I was really pushing on the joysticks a lot.

I gotta see now..I might be shaking the cab..

<small>[ March 26, 2003, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: chris1 ]</small>

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I wouldn't say I'm a cabnet shaker. I'm one of those bitches that checks the coin slots to see if there's a spare quarter in there though.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
d00d!! This topic is like purposely aimed towards me or something!! lol When I was at the arcade at Las Vegas last night, I was shaking the cabinets all the time!! The worst of it all is, I'm not even trying to move that hard or anything. It might be having that I don't know what my own strength is because I've been lifting weights for a little while now.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
I myself am not a 'cabinet shaker' and frankly, I can't stand you people. :p

Seriously though, it drives me crazy when my friends use my cab and they act like they're trying to pull the stick out from under the control panel. There's no need for that. Probably has something to do with the fact that they can't play any ways and refuse to actually learn how to play.

Man, I need some better opponents.

<small>[ March 19, 2003, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: subcons ]</small>

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
subcons:
Seriously though, it drives me crazy when my friends use my cab and they act like they're trying to pull the stick out from under the control panel. There's no need for that. Probably has something to do with the fact that they can't play any ways and refuse to actually learn how to play.
So true.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
great topic!

No, I'm no a cabinet shaker, but I hate playing against people that are physically too strong for the arcade cab.

You know, the people that have HUGE arms and when doubled over, these guys elbow you trying to pull off a dragon punch motion.

I mean, whenever these guys get the itchin' to pull off a combo, I have to step away from the machine because it's that bad.

In California's Sunnyvale Golfland, there is a certain demographic of fatties that are always cabinet shakers. I think that those of you that ahve been there know what I mean...

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
This is kind of related to cabinet shaking as far as body movement goes when playing a game.

When you are playing a console game at home do you move your body the way you are intending to move your character on screen? I find myself doing this in racing/flying games a lot or in platformers when i am making a tough jump. I will lean my whole body to the left or right as if it will somehow help me turn. Same with jumping - sometimes when i hit the jump button i will move my controller up as if hitting the jump button and raising the controller helps. Anywho thats just kinda of one of the weird things i do when i play games.

As for cabinet shaking i myself dont do that. I don't really hold onto the cabinet or the controls very tight. Sometimes (when i get mad) i will hit the buttons extra hard but thats about it.

Cnidarian

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Nah, I never shake the cabinets whenever I play.

I don't have that much of a frame to actually move the machine... Most of the movement is from my arms, and shifting my feet around for better balance.

I do have some quirky arcade habits though.

If the cab is one of those smaller ones, I usually have to lean in close and bendover(heh) a lot just to see the screen better. I'm 6 foot 1, go figure...

And I tend to sidle in and challenge other people without saying anything or giving any notice. Whenever I see someone playing really well, I usually don't hesitate to join in, very silently. I use my best judgement when I choose to face a human opponent. I'm just like that...

Also, I sometimes put a quarter or token on the side/edge of the screen near the controls to call my spot in line. I do this while the two people are playing, so I can be next. I need to do this when there is a bunch of people lining up to play the same game, it makes things a little easier.

And lastly, I always wash my hands before and after playing any arcade machines. You never know who's touched the controls before you. I just wish more people cared about keeping the machines clean and sanitary for others, it is a public place after all...

<small>[ March 20, 2003, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: Cnidarian ]</small>

scote

Scone Enthusiast, ,
I'm too mellow to be a cabinet shaker, either that or too small. This is a good idea for a topic.

mog

Bead Banger
chris1:
Hmmm..I wonder..
I was playing MOTW,,,Breakers yesterday and I was really pushing on the joysticks a lot.

I gotta see now..I might be skaking the cab..
MOTW is great for that.

You think it's bad now, wait till you're about to hit an unsuspecting friend with the cheesiest combo you could come up with. Now that's wear and tear!

Shred

Bead Banger
Lagduf:
This is kind of related to cabinet shaking as far as body movement goes when playing a game.

When you are playing a console game at home do you move your body the way you are intending to move your character on screen? I find myself doing this in racing/flying games a lot or in platformers when i am making a tough jump. I will lean my whole body to the left or right as if it will somehow help me turn. Same with jumping - sometimes when i hit the jump button i will move my controller up as if hitting the jump button and raising the controller helps. Anywho thats just kinda of one of the weird things i do when i play games.

As for cabinet shaking i myself dont do that. I don't really hold onto the cabinet or the controls very tight. Sometimes (when i get mad) i will hit the buttons extra hard but thats about it.
Your suppose to get all the body motions into the game that is what helps get you through the hard parts.

Pro_Gear

Another,
20 Year Member
I had this habit of playing cross-handed (moving stick with right, buttons with left) when SF2 and Samsho were big. It was funny because it was like my local trademark.

<small>[ March 21, 2003, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: Pro_Gear ]</small>

Mr. Wizard

Angel's Love Slave
Cnidarian:
Nah, I never shake the cabinets whenever I play.

I don't have that much of a frame to actually move the machine... Most of the movement is from my arms, and shifting my feet around for better balance.

I do have some quirky arcade habits though.

If the cab is one of those smaller ones, I usually have to lean in close and bendover(heh) a lot just to see the screen better. I'm 6 foot 1, go figure...

And I tend to sidle in and challenge other people without saying anything or giving any notice. Whenever I see someone playing really well, I usually don't hesitate to join in, very silently. I use my best judgement when I choose to face a human opponent. I'm just like that...

Also, I sometimes put a quarter or token on the side/edge of the screen near the controls to call my spot in line. I do this while the two people are playing, so I can be next. I need to do this when there is a bunch of people lining up to play the same game, it makes things a little easier.

And lastly, I always wash my hands before and after playing any arcade machines. You never know who's touched the controls before you. I just wish more people cared about keeping the machines clean and sanitary for others, it is a public place after all...
Ever had anyone use that quarter you put up to mark your place?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Mr. Wizard:
Aargh! :mad:

Uh, hmm, I'm always tempted to do so. With all due respect, but I hate, hate, H A T E these guys who think all they have to do is to lean their damn coins against the screen. Screw that, when I'm on a cab, I stay there 'til I don't want to play anymore, and if anyone has a prob with that, they have to remove me by force.

The only exception to this rule is when a game is brand-new, then I will play a credit and leave the machine for the next player, but if it's an older cab, I simply ignore the coin or throw it away.

I had a good # of fights because of this, back then when I was a baaaad 16 yrs old... :)

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Originally posted by Lagduf:
[QB] This is kind of related to cabinet shaking as far as body movement goes when playing a game.

((When you are playing a console game at home do you move your body the way you are intending to move your character on screen?))

I do that all the time..especially when I play FPS..like Halo..or Red Facton II
Shoot even when I play fighting games on the Cab.

I was playing Red Faction last night and an enemy was shooting rockets at me.
I kept moving L-R,bobbing my head L or R while the Rocket just misses my head.
I said to myself WTF am I doing..I must look like a real idiot from behind..lol.. loco

I do this a lot on Halo..

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
mog:
chris1:
Hmmm..I wonder..

I gotta see now..I might be skaking the cab..
MOTW is great for that.

You think it's bad now, wait till you're about to hit an unsuspecting friend with the cheesiest combo you could come up with. Now that's wear and tear!
tickled :D

Cnidarian

Over Top Auto Mechanic
<strong>
Nope.

The people I usually play in my area have the common decency to wait for their turn, so I never had that. Nor would I ever take someone elses coin, I don't want to get into a fight over it...

But I have seen people get pissed when they lose and punch the screen or cabinet sometimes. That makes me smile.

And my old friends would often smoke and drink liquor in the arcades, so thats another thing...

Like I said, its only the case when there's large groups of people standing there watching, like when Street Fighter 2 just came out. Crowds of people that time, and everyone wanted to play.

Although I do have problems when my friends run out and want to bum a free quarter off me... envy

Cnidarian

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Takumaji:

Uh, hmm, I'm always tempted to do so. With all due respect, but I hate, hate, H A T E these guys who think all they have to do is to lean their damn coins against the screen. Screw that, when I'm on a cab, I stay there 'til I don't want to play anymore, and if anyone has a prob with that, they have to remove me by force.

The only exception to this rule is when a game is brand-new, then I will play a credit and leave the machine for the next player, but if it's an older cab, I simply ignore the coin or throw it away.

I had a good # of fights because of this, back then when I was a baaaad 16 yrs old... :)
No offence man, but you would be the type of player I'd avoid facing in the arcades.

There are some people who get a little too into a game, and its just not fun anymore...

Nothing personal, I just prefer a little friendly competition over really serious types.

Its different with those japanese-style sit down cabs, though. You don't even have to see who you're facing when you play. :D

zorro

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I usually kick the machine when my coin dosen't go in properly. it works every time. But that's it. It don't viciously attack it or anything just help it digest the little money that I do have

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
I tend to push hard when doing moves on a cab. When I started playing fighters in arcades I was really abusive on the sticks/buttons and my movements were very harsh, no flow whatsoever. I've managed to smooth out things over the years but I'm still a little rough on my F,D,DF motions.
I hate to abuse arcade machines because I know it could really screw up somebodys game down the line and theres nothing worse than putting in your quarters, selecting your character and finding out in Round 1 that all you can do is move backwards, duck and your C and D buttons don't work for shit.

Mike

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
I shake the cabinet only if it's because I'm frustrated w/my gaming performance or out of an act of desperation to make the game glitch and give me free continues.

mog

Bead Banger
I've noticed that a lot of shakers are people that are too incompetent to operate a joystick. That may just be my friends though.