Are there any ports you prefer over the Neo-Geo originals?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
KOF 95 was way better than the later games on the PS. The animation is so cut in 98 on PS1 I can’t combo properly but 95 was a much lower mega game to begin with so it survived. The AST is also great for that game.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Good topic.
Thanks.

My answer is Metal Slug 2 on the PS2 Slug Anthology. It has been ... ugh, 15 years this December ... but I remember the slowdown being removed from 2. That alone negated the existence of X.

Conclusion:

PS2 2 > X > Neo-Geo 2

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Metal Slug on the Neo CD. The added modes give it even more replayability and make you a better player to boot.

of course, have to play it without load times.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
If you consider Neo CD games ports then there are probably a number of those. The music in the Samurai games sometimes sort of justifies the load times.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
So what port of Ikari did you play that you liked more than the original? Was there ever a good one before the collection that came out a few years ago? You surely aren’t talking about the NES version which was utter crap.
While I never cared for the first 2 Ikari games on the NES, I really like the 3rd one. A lot of the game plays like a beat em up actually, with punching and kicking, although there are weapons throughout as well. But overall, it plays well and I like the atmosphere and level design. It definitely looks a lot better than the first 2 games.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
I could be wrong because I haven't played it in ages, but I think the 3do port of SamSho has an exclusive redbook audio soundtrack. I know it has an exclusive soundtrack for SFII.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Theres only 2 I prefer over the originals:

Aof on SNES and POW on NES.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
So what port of Ikari did you play that you liked more than the original? Was there ever a good one before the collection that came out a few years ago? You surely aren’t talking about the NES version which was utter crap.
I still don't know why "Ikari" is supposed to be a classic on the NES.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I basically played in arcades mostly as a kid. I went from Coleco to Genesis. I was a HUGE fan of Ikari 1 and 2. When I played the NES port of Ikari my opinion of the NES was formed. Ikari on NES is a worse port than Donkey Kong on 2600. It’s worse than Pac Man on 2600.

NES games back then were like…port the game, tons of flickering is OK, now add shops. Ikari sucks? Add shops. What would make a horrible port of Rygar better, shops?

It wasn’t until I got a complete NES/FC ROM set that I learned there were more good NES games than Mario and Excitebike. Not everything flickers so bad you can only see half your character, just the popular games.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Fatal Fury 2 for the sega genesis i just prefer how it plays more compare to the neg-geo original.

Gotta agree with this, it has legitimate reasons to play it beyond just the nostalgia factor.

Dipswitch mode let's you do absolutely batshit crazy things and makes the port worth playing for that reason alone.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Gotta agree with this, it has legitimate reasons to play it beyond just the nostalgia factor.

Dipswitch mode let's you do absolutely batshit crazy things and makes the port worth playing for that reason alone.
Pretty much i like how takara change up it's mechanics from the original.

arcwyvern

King's Dry Cleaner
I personally love Dreammatch 99 on Dreamcast and vastly prefer it because of all the additions. The NGPC stuff, the anime intro, the polygonal backgrounds that most people despise- all of that stuff is what keeps me playing it. I never noticed that it controls that differently over the NG original but now i want to take the pepsi challenge on that. It wouldn't matter for me anyway, I play DM99 on DC exclusively single player and basically to grind for the NGPC moves.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Good topic.

I don't prefer any ports over the originals, but I do have a special place in my heart for the PS1 port of KOF95 and the SNES port of Fatal Fury Special. It was these two games that solidified my love of SNK and the Neo back in the mid-90's before I bought my first AES in 1998.
I went down the same rabbit hole as you. KOF95 on PS1 I rented from my local Microplay (I was working there too) and absolutely loved it. I asked for it for Christmas that year. It was the fighting game that got me off of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, and jump started my love of SNK beyond what I had already experienced, but that was the catalyst to explore more of what SNK had to offer.

I also got my AES in 1998 as well with KOF94.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I really like the Samurai Shodown and Metal Slug Anthologies on the Ps2. Samurai Shodown is especially great because you can switch between the arranged and arcade soundtracks. Video quality is also alot clearer since i never upgraded from composite on my AES , component Ps2 or Ps2 compatible Ps3 looks amazing.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
King of the Monsters 2 on Sega Genesis, much more playable, but, no Famardy.
I’ve heard that’s a good version I’ll have to fire that up on an everdrive

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
KOTM2 is the least decent beat em up I've played on the Neo geo, it is a mindless slog of chipping away at massive lifebars and overly simple and poor gameplay mechanics from beginning to end and only gets worse. The very end of the game is an hours long boss rush with the final boss taking seemingly forever to beat even with two players. The Genesis version is better but that's not saying much.

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
I really enjoyed KOF 2000 on dreamcast because the arranged soundtrack was extremely good, plus you could choose Kula right on the character select screen without having to do any codes or hacks. I think I'd play it over the neo version just for the soundtrack - although the bonus old stages from previous KOFs were janky in dreamcast KOF 2000...

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Not a popular opinion at all but I really enjoy the port of Last Blade 1 on ps1. It has some mega animation cuts but the 4 minute opening anime video and the extra characters really does it for me. Its what a port should be.

I hate how almost no neogeo ports utilized any extra power or hardware of the systems they were put on.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Not true. I'll have you know that the Sega Genesis used its' proprietary Sonic the Hedgehog blast processing to make FF2 Mai's tits 7% bouncier. I counted the frames while squeezing a water balloon for scientific accuracy.

Alphabet

Zero's Secretary
FF 2 on Megadrive
KoF 2000 on DC
KoF 95 on PS1. I discovered the game first on this platform then on the Neo Geo.