Arcades in Ohio

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Does anyone know of any good arcades around Springfield, OH? I've looked all over this crappy town. They have actually been closing a bunch down. Really sad. I'd be willing to drive to play Neo Geo. If anyone knows a place that has an MVS system around here..let me know. I haven't seen one in months.

Jon

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
I live about a half an hour from Dayton and about an hour or so from Cincinnati.

Yeah, I can drive anywhere IF I can find a decent arcade. Does anyone know any place that still has some decent games? In particular, Neo Geo games?!!

OmegaSaber

Beast Buster
Do you know where Northgate mall is? It's on Colrain Ave. off of 275. They've got a 4 slot with Samurai Shodown 4, Ninja Combat...and I forget the other two. I'd go there to get a Neo fix, until I got my candy cab that is.

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
Heh heh I work in Northgate :) .

The Neo Cab in there is a 6-slot I believe. They haven't updated the carts in it in FOREVER it seems like (they'd rather spend the money getting one of those Piece-o-shit Pump it Up machines). Lemme think of what's in it...

Ninja Combat
Samurai Shodown 4
Metal Slug 3
Baseball Stars Professional
World Heroes 2
uhhhhh I forget the last one, it might be an empty slot

Let's see other arcades in this area....

There's a place called Wonder Park a few exits down from Northgate Mall but I can't remember if they have a Neo Cab in there or not. It's owned by Namco and they have mostly deluxe machines and redemption machines.

Uhhhhhhhhh there's a Dave & Busters a few exits down from Wonder Park but I haven't been in there in quite a while. I can't seem to recall there being any Neo Cabs in there, mostly just quarter munching deluxe machines and a Piece-o-shit Pump it Up machine.

There's a decent sized arcade inside Paramount's Kings Island but again, it's been a few years since I've been there so I dunno if there's any Neo cabs in it or not.

There's a couple of Family fun centers littered throughout the inside of the I-275 belt that MIGHT have a Neo cab in them. The only other arcades I can think of is the Gameworks across the river in Newport, KY at their Newport on the Levee. I've never been in there though. There's also a nightclub in neighboring Covington called Jillean's or something like that who I heard had arcade machines.

Hope that helps you out chief. There's also a Gameworks in Easton, OH which is east of Columbus, OH. I've been in there but don't remember seeing any Neo Cab in there either (which after writing all this irks the piss outta me that there's only ONE F'ing Neo Cab this entire area?!).

OmegaSaber

Beast Buster
Where do you work Hikaru? I used to go up to Northgate all the time, but only make it up there every once in awhile now. I live about 20 minutes away from it. And Wonderpark sucks big ass. There's really not any good games in there, no MVS either. Plus they have a ticket system to play games which my old school quarter pumping mind just can't wrap itself around.

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
OmegaSaber:
Where do you work Hikaru? I used to go up to Northgate all the time, but only make it up there every once in awhile now. I live about 20 minutes away from it. And Wonderpark sucks big ass. There's really not any good games in there, no MVS either. Plus they have a ticket system to play games which my old school quarter pumping mind just can't wrap itself around.
At Babbages/Gamestop :p

I don't know if Wonder Park is even open right now 'cuz they're remodeling that mall AGAIN. Last time I went to Wonder Park, the only way you could get in was to go through Media Play. They had a mall entranceway right next to the Media Play entrance but they sealed that off loco .

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Yeah, I swear that people are actually trying to get rid of arcades and more specifically MVS machines in general. People in Ohio would much rather play some crappy fishing, hunting, or 18 wheeler game than a fighting game. It is really sad. I'll have to check out the places you mentioned. Thanks.

Jon

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Oh, one addition. The best arcade I've been to in Ohio is the one at Cedar Point. I'm not sure if they have an MVS machine, but the large amount of classic games is more than enough to make up for it. Haven't been there in about 3 years, though.

Jon

OmegaSaber

Beast Buster
Hikaru Ichijyo:
At Babbages/Gamestop :p

I don't know if Wonder Park is even open right now 'cuz they're remodeling that mall AGAIN. Last time I went to Wonder Park, the only way you could get in was to go through Media Play. They had a mall entranceway right next to the Media Play entrance but they sealed that off loco .
That's cool, I used to work at the Gamestop next to TriCounty mall, until I was framed for stealing money...but that's a whole other story altogether...

Shin-Strider

NEST Puppet
Freaky, I was up at Northgate mall a few weeks ago. I remember that Neo Geo cab in the back. I was playing Metal Slug 3 with a friend. The sound was turned up way too high. All you could hear was constant fire and explosions in the back of the place. It was AWESOME! buttrock

Kristoff

Another Striker
Wow! Some other Neo fans from Ohio come out of the walls, always nice to see :)

I wish I would have known you guys were around last year. I used to work at a video game shop in the Eastgate area (about 20 min. from Cincinnati) and had an original 6 slot with 2K1, RB2, SS4, LB2, (and whatever other games I felt like playing) along with a Hyper64 in the same cabinet. There was a small crew of us (Jon from the above post and a few others) that used to get together and game. It was a lot of fun!

Sense then I've had to get rid of the cab and instead work on building my own setup (my dream rig is nearly complete! One more week and get my projector :) ). But we still get together every once in awhile to game.

Yagamikun where are you?

<small>[ June 14, 2003, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Kristoff ]</small>

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Kristoff, so long since I've seen you...ok so only like a week, but whos couting. Good to know there are some other people in the neo scene around Cincy. I also used to work at the store in eastgate with Kristoff, good times until EB took over then we high tailed it outa there. I'm all into home carts, but wish there was some arcade competition around. I got a MVS 2 slot placed in Eastgate mall and sold the guy a ton of great carts, but the buttons are in the diamond formation which means that its a bitch to play. Least he has a DDR Extream machine and Beatmania. Good times to be had by all. Anything new in the machine at northgate? Last time I went it had SS4 which was bliss, but I had no comp.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Jon:
Oh, one addition. The best arcade I've been to in Ohio is the one at Cedar Point. I'm not sure if they have an MVS machine, but the large amount of classic games is more than enough to make up for it. Haven't been there in about 3 years, though.

Jon
I went up there this year...the best thing they had was a Puzzle Fighter 2 machine. There were no MVS cabs. They also had a SFA3 with f'ed up controls. That was about it as far as good games go. good thing the raptor is across the way from it so I could look at something worth bragging about.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
yagamikun:
Originally posted by Jon:
[qb] Oh, one addition. The best arcade I've been to in Ohio is the one at Cedar Point. I'm not sure if they have an MVS machine, but the large amount of classic games is more than enough to make up for it. Haven't been there in about 3 years, though.

Jon
I went up there this year...the best thing they had was a Puzzle Fighter 2 machine. There were no MVS cabs. They also had a SFA3 with f'ed up controls. That was about it as far as good games go. good thing the raptor is across the way from it so I could look at something worth bragging about. Also no neo support at the Family fun Center in Eastgate (unless they still have puzzlebobble), Jillians, Gameworks, and Dave and Busters are devoid of anything 2D sadly...

<small>[ June 14, 2003, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: yagamikun ]</small>

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Yagamikun? Have I met you before?

Yeah, I used to hang out with Kristoff a whole bunch. It was really fun. I'll never forget that day I came up to meet him that first time. We had a big Tekken Tag Tournament "Tournament" in which I came in third place. I stayed playing Garou: MOTW and KOF '98 until around midnight. I was pissed when EB took over the store. That basically ruined everything.

Too bad your so busy all the time, Kristoff, or we could get together and play some Neo Geo. I also just got in TMNT and Final Fight PCB's. If you ever are free, drop me a line.

Jon

Kristoff

Another Striker
Yagamikun = Mike from the game store... guy that had the AES and the goatee. I'm sure you've met him... I think.

Anyway, so now that we know that are at least 10 of us around here. Would you guys ever be up for small Neo gathering? Kind of a mini Neo-Shodown if any of you guys remember those that went on in Atlanta during E3.

I'm always looking to play games with good competition :)

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Those Atlanta tournys really got me going, and the prizes were great. But I doubt we could secure anything like that. A get together would be awesome though, I always want to try out new blood. I am sure I have met you before Jon, but I cant quite place a face. I was there for the Tekken Tag Tournament...tournament (redundant isnt it?). Anyway, who would be intersted and where would be a good place for one? I know I dont have enough room at my place.

fantat

NEST Puppet
20 Year Member
Hey guys, I also live about 20 minutes from Northgate Mall. If you're haveing a get together count me in. It would be sweet to play with some people who are actually into the neo.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Yeah, I remember him now.

If you're serious about a Neo Geo get-together, I'm certainly up for it any time. My question is, do you actually have the time for it? You keep telling me how busy you are all the time, Chris. Anyway, it would be awesome if you could find some free time.

Jon

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
fantat:
Hey guys, I also live about 20 minutes from Northgate Mall. If you're haveing a get together count me in. It would be sweet to play with some people who are actually into the neo.
GREAT! How about we get an idea of how many people want to show up and I'll start planing from there. If you want to, just pm me your email addresses and I'll get an address book up of all interested members and then keep you posted on where, when, etc etc. I say mid to end july to give some planing time. know Kristoff is in, so everybody else let me know.

Kristoff

Another Striker
Yeah, I'd definetly be game. As long as I know when it's going to be ahead of time I should be good.

Add in JudyChan of the Neo forums too. I'll drag her along :)

Judy Chan

n00b
Lot's of you boy gamers out there, but are there any girl gamers in cincy?, And if not gamers, maybe girlfriends that like to play? I'm dying here boys, no offense Yagamikun and Kristoff.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
no offence taken JudyChan, but when it comes to the neo, I think you're in a league of your own wink