Arcade monitor moving lines across screen

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I got a super neo 29 type 2 i'm working on. It has the hitachi monitor replaced with a nanao. Chassis look great on it, monitor looks really nice, but the rewire mod was done with electrical tape. I'm gonna redo the entire thing in heat shrink tubing, but I noticed something. There are these moving lines going across the screen, they move constantly. Like wood grain. You can't really tell unless you pay close attention that they are there. Could it be a fucked up grounding issue?

The cab is earthed, so I'll get that out of the way now. Could it be that the monitor itself needs to be earthed? I could try earthing it right. I'm gonna see if that effects anything.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Could be an earth prob or maybe a dirty video signal.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
how do I clean a dirty video signal, can someone give me some realistic help? This interference changes movement, so it can't be a cap. It can move from any side of the screen on start up, it goes like forward, then travels in the reverse direction. Its frustrating not knowing what the cause could be. I tried earthing the monitor, no change.

Last edited:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
did tubing work, heat shrink tubed the lazily wired stuff I could tackle. I have some +5v's being tapped as two groups of two. Meaning they are being jumped from a +5V unused molex connecter.

I also have some grounds for the controls grouped together. I cleaned the rgb cable and retubed the entire thing properly. I'm still getting that feedback. The cab is earthed, I'll try unearthing it and see if its changed.

The worst thing is because the monitor has been changed out, there is a ton of things that could be causing this..

The best way I can describe this problem is these groups of lines that move from one side of the screen, stop briefly then move to another, they start from anywhere, could be top to bottom, left to right, back to left, etc. its a endless changing issue.

Last edited:

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
Is it more like a moving pattern within the picture and do they take the color of the background they are passing through?

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
its colorless, its interference of some sort they can be a pattern, but only a line pattern in groups that move in one direction, then reverse

mrbippers

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Sounds similar to something I had going on with my monitor when I got it. It was called snaking or something like that. I think I fixed my problem by jumpering the field ground and the output ground on the power supply.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Field ground and output ground? Can you explain this more? You mean just jump a cable of a random ground off the PSU to the Earthing part of the cab? I tried this, no change. I can do a solder jumper in the PSU if you give me instruction on where to. The cab is a super neo 29 type II.

mrbippers

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Field ground and output ground? Can you explain this more? You mean just jump a cable of a random ground off the PSU to the Earthing part of the cab? I tried this, no change. I can do a solder jumper in the PSU if you give me instruction on where to. The cab is a super neo 29 type II.

On my switching PSU there are two field ground terminals marked FG and two output (I think that's what it's called) ground terminals marked GND. I had to add a small wire from the FG to the GND terminal and it resolved my issue. My symptom was what looked like little static worms wriggling around on the screen. It may not be the same thing but it's something to try.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I jumped a wire from gnd to earth on the PSU, and it looks awesome. You sir are the fucking man. *APPLAUSE*

mrbippers

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Awesome! Glad I was able to help. I think it's tough to find info on it when searching because everyone describes the same thing differently.