April 2015 SOTMC: ESP Ra. De.

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Just finished my second run, and got a little bit better. I'm coming for you Pipes :D

ZTR4NHNl.jpg

_rm_ - 4,825,600 - Stage 5 - Yusuke - PCB

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Man, this game is just amazing. The sound, the old school toaplan like enemies, the patterns and it's colors, game mechanics...

Can't stop saying amazing things about it. Without a doubt, one of the greatest PCB's that i own :buttrock:

About time i start spending some time with it.

Last edited:

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I'm coming for you Pipes :D

Haha....no shit, you're almost there :) That's some good motivation for me.

Good run!

Man, this game is just amazing. The sound, the old school toaplan like enemies, the patterns and it's colors, game mechanics...

Can't stop saying amazing things about it. Without a doubt, one of the greatest PCB's that i own

About time i start spending some time with it.

Yeah, I'm really enjoying this one. I've had the pcb for quite a while now but never spent much time with it. It's quickly becoming one of my favorites for sure.

Here's some scoring info I found on the shmups forum that may be of use. Skate touched on most of that already.

The key to the scoring system is your B-shot. The bubbles 'stick' to enemies, this is important. The way to score is:

1) Hit a big enemy with a full b-shot. A fully powered up b-shot (the meter for your b-shot is down on the bottom of the screen, should say 15 when fully powered) will stick 15 bubbles of various sizes to the enemy.

2) While the bubbles are 'stuck' to the thing, kill it with your A-shot. This will trigger a multiplier equal to the number of "stuck" bubbles+1. This multiplier lasts a fixed amount of time, based on the enemy size. (See below, however)

3) The enemy will release some items upon death. Normally they are worth 100 points each. However, the multiplier from step 2 is applied to them. Even more importantly, the collection of these items INCREASES the multiplier time. Also of note: the multiplier applies to the base point value of any enemy you kill, even if it is just with the A-shot.

4) Keep doing this. You will discover after you 'chain' a few 16x enemy kills together and get the multiplier high enough, some enemies will release items tons of items even if you don't B-shot kill them. Not only that, the items will fall fast towards you. This is the real trick to scoring. Triggering this racks up points pretty quickly.

Another thing: Kill bosses the exact same way. (b-shot "stick" -> a-shot kill). This will cause all on-screen bullets to convert to items, and the same multiplier rule applies. The multiplier and the resulting timer will be in effect when you start the next stage. So convert a thick bullet pattern, collect to jack your 16x multiplier up, and then kill things for 16x points at the beginning of the next stage.

Getting lots of 16x chains/items requires fairly aggressive play.

Oh, one other 'advanced' technique. It seems that any bullets over/near an enemy with you kill it and trigger items will ALSO be converted to items. I think the explosion needs to touch them. If you watch any replays you'll note sometimes the player will exploit this.

There are also boss-milking techniques in this game, involving peppering a boss with the 'small' parts of the b-shot for extended periods of time.

Last edited:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Haha....no shit, you're almost there :) That's some good motivation for me.

Good run!

Yeah, I'm really enjoying this one. I've had the pcb for quite a while now but never spent much time with it. It's quickly becoming one of my favorites for sure.

Here's some scoring info I found on the shmups forum that may be of use. Skate touched on most of that already.

I seem to remember holding both shot buttons together helping me score. I'll know more once I get my board back.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Holding both isn't a bad way to go, it'll automatically fire the B weapon whenever it's full.

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
A little improvment:

_rm_ - 5,496,710 - Stage 4 - Irori - PCB

Q0X382Pl.jpg

pipes

Yikes....rm, you steam-rolled my score and actually erased it from the board. WTF? :)

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Yea, rm was on roll there.

No worries pipes: The T-Dot is back on the board.

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
And what about you Tyranix95? Are you hidding your game? :D
Keep posting those scores

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
:lolz:

Don't have this board in my collection yet; so, we'll see.

I think I'll stop by a local meet this weekend, meet up with a guy with a board.

Have a couple of rounds.

:)

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
:lolz:

Don't have this board in my collection yet; so, we'll see.

I think I'll stop by a local meet this weekend, meet up with a guy with a board.

Have a couple of rounds.

:)

You should have only mentioned boards that you own for the poll,lol, can't wait for "my" month.

See if you can play your friend's board, you won't regret the time spent with this game ;)

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Gonna try. So far looks like there might be two local meets this month. So two chances to spin and win. :D

Yea, this month is a write in month. So, I didn't nominate it: Beelzebub did. So, blame that guy. it's all his fault. :mr_t:

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Gonna try. So far looks like there might be two local meets this month. So two chances to spin and win. :D

Yea, this month is a write in month. So, I didn't nominate it: Beelzebub did. So, blame that guy. it's all his fault. :mr_t:

Hey hey hey, there was just as good of a chance of Fire Shark or Time Pilot being voted for over ESP Ra. De. :p

Anyway, I'm over here playing this on my modded Xbox... I really need to get my hands on a PCB of this game.

EDIT:

Okay, here's my first decent run, it's been a while since I've actually played this game.

Beelzebub - 4,409,420 - Stage 3(boss) - Yuusuke - Mame

ESP Ra. De - score - 4,409,420.png

Last edited:

pipes

Hey, just a little more and you can steam roll pipes!! :p

I'm just letting everyone catch up before I unleash the fury. I don't want to break everyone's spirits right off the bat:D

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Beelzebub - 5,170,430 - Stage 4 - Yuusuke - MAME

I'm finally getting used to the timing between using the A and B shots to get consistently decent multipliers. Now to just concentrate a bit more on survival. :p

ESP Ra. De. - score - 5,170,430.png

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Nice!

But man this game is brutal on some guys. :keke: / :p

running-over.gif

pipes

So, any tips for stage 4? The first 3 stages seem like a cakewalk in comparison. I can't seem to get the hang of it.....just literally hanging on for dear life.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
So, any tips for stage 4? The first 3 stages seem like a cakewalk in comparison. I can't seem to get the hang of it.....just literally hanging on for dear life.

Are you doing the bomb recharge and grabbing the 1up on stage 4?

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Negative. Where, when and how?

It's on the right train a couple minutes into the stage, it's fairly easy to get it. Best watch a youtube video to know exactly where it is.