Anyway to know if a Neo Game will be compatible with a specific LCD TV?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I have issues with my Pulstar MVS cart. It use to work perfect on my old Vizio LCD, but on my new BenQ PC monitor it goes black during cuts-cenes, and screen transitions. For example during the intro scene where the chic is running, and as soon as I die as the stage loads it goes completely black for a few seconds before I can see anything. It also does this on my 55 inch LG.

What exactly causes this?

And is there a way to pick a new LCD and know it will work?

A CRT isn't really an option since I use and XRGB and connect via RGB. I've also tried composite and component on both televisions with no dice.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I had similar experiences with my DVDO doing that whenever a game would switch from 240p to 480i (Pokemon Stadium did this). I think all scalers do this since for some reason they can't rapidly switch from 240p to 480i(which needs deinterlacing) smoothly like CRTS can.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I ran into this issue a few times with my plasma when I was using the xrgb mini. I think one of the games was Sonic 2.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I ran into this issue a few times with my plasma when I was using the xrgb mini. I think one of the games was Sonic 2.

Which I believe switches from 240p to 480i when playing 2 player with sonic and tails racing. I think it shows it in the attract mode too.

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
This happens in composite and component too though. Not using an xrgb

nornor1

NEST Puppet
I've tried both mvs supergun setup and daedalus setup.

Does your new LCD have an "INFO" button. to see what resolution is currently set at? or your old vizio have the button? you can press it on the vizio to see what resolution its doing on the cutscenes/transitions also. to see if it is switching between resolutions. if not then something else is causing it.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Pulstar does the same on my Sony HDTV through the framemeister. Didn't do it with the Vizio.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Pulstar does the same on my Sony HDTV through the framemeister. Didn't do it with the Vizio.

Interesting, I wonder if the sync changes or something like AC coupling is a problem when it does that. Maybe Raz/Jeff can chime in.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Does it go blank during all white screens or screens with a lot of white? How is the super gun sync setup? Is it going through a LM1881?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Do any other legacy systems like NES, SNES, Genesis work via 240p component/composite on the TV with no problems?

I have not noticed any other issues, but I haven't played a ton or retro games on this new monitor. On my old vizio I had no issues.

Does it go blank during all white screens or screens with a lot of white? How is the super gun sync setup? Is it going through a LM1881?

No idea on the setup, it was made by Xian. But it also does the same thing with the Daedalus AES setup.

I noticed that it may have been doing it with World Heroes Perfect today as well, although I am not sure. It definitely does not do it only on white screens. When you die in Pulstar I don't think there is a white screen and it cuts out every single time you die. Goes straight black till a few seconds till after the stage starts.

I checked my monitor and it is running at 1080p @60. I have the resolution notice checked but It never displays, and as soon as it cuts out the notice disappears. I see no way to change the resolution, although I have tried many display modes such as 4:3. Not sure if that matters at all. There are a bunch of options to my monitor and I will just post a link to the manual here. Maybe you all can see something that may help.

http://www.manualmonitor.com/manuals/benq/BenQ_RL2755HM.pdf

Last edited:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I have had a look through the game code and I can see what is happening (well 95% sure), its not resolution changing cause the Neo Geo can't do that. Under normal situations with CRT this would not be an issue but it seems this situation rears its head on some LCDs (or maybe converter used).

The fix I see requires a patch to the P1 ROM (to fix the situation in attract mode and dying at least). Its possible I can add a unibios cheat to fix this situation too but I can't be sure it will work because the timing would be very important and I am limited in where the unibios can patch.

I guess the first step is to be sure the fix I have in my mind actually works, is there anyone with a NeoSD who can replicate this situation when pulstar is flashed to it?

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I have had a look through the game code and I can see what is happening (well 95% sure), its not resolution changing cause the Neo Geo can't do that. Under normal situations with CRT this would not be an issue but it seems this situation rears its head on some LCDs (or maybe converter used).

The fix I see requires a patch to the P1 ROM (to fix the situation in attract mode and dying at least). Its possible I can add a unibios cheat to fix this situation too but I can't be sure it will work because the timing would be very important and I am limited in where the unibios can patch.

I guess the first step is to be sure the fix I have in my mind actually works, is there anyone with a NeoSD who can replicate this situation when pulstar is flashed to it?

Thanks for your replies.l Raz. What do you mean replicate? You need a video of some sort?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Can you PM me your email address, also, do you have a EPROM programmer and able to program a test bios?

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Can you PM me your email address, also, do you have a EPROM programmer and able to program a test bios?

Gonna pm you now. I do not but if its not going to break he bank i would gladly pick one up. If you can point me to a good one. Been wanting one for awhile anyway.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I just sent you an email. I guess we first need to confirm my theory is correct, so try the standard Pulstar with the NeoSD and confirm the issue happens. Then try my test version (sent by email) and see if it helps in any way. If it does help maybe then we can find a way to try a test unibios to get the same result without needing P1 patch at all.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
In case anyone is wondering, there was some progress today regarding the black out issue with Pulstar, that seems to be related to either LCD's and/or XRGB Mini. I guess we will see over time if this can be resolved. So far so good.

If anyone has any info on other areas of the game they may have had black out issues please let Razoola Know, although it seems the game is unplayable starting at the end of stage 5.

Here is just a paste from my PM to Razoola.

greedostick said:
Well, we have good news and bad news.

Good news is the intro is working perfect. Also, the death transition is working as well.

So I decided to do a full run of the game. Here's where the bad starts.

1. It "might" be doing this just before the continue screen. I noticed 1 time that it seemed to go black, but not any other times. Either way, it's playable.

2. Stage 2: Made it to the boss (turtle), and the game constantly went black, for sometimes upwards of 10 seconds. It was a constant long black screen followed by maybe 1-2 seconds of play-time. I had to put the game in Invincibility mode in the universe bios menu to pass.

3. Stage 3: works perfect.

4. Stage 4: works perfect.

5. Stage 5: This is where I had to stop. I just played invincibility mode from stage 2 boss to this point in order to test more. Once you get to the boss of stage 5, in the area where all the mobs stop coming and you are in a hallway, before the boss even appears, as soon as the boss music starts, the screen goes completely black. This is basically an indefinite black screen until you eventually re-spawn back at the last checkpoint. I have invincibility mode on still, so I am not sure how/if I am dying at this point since I never see the boss.

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Had similar issues with Super Ghouls n' Ghost Level 2 (sfc) and Astra Superstars (stv)
Framemeister couldn't handle the resolution changing as and when between 240p and 480i.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I cant seem to find what would cause the video drops in other areas that were not fixed on my first attempt but I still think a unibios cheat may fix the issue. Anyone with this issue and an original pulstar cart plus ability to program a test unibios?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Well Raz, I do not have a programmer, but I would be willing to pick one up if someone can point me to an affordable one, and the type of eeprom I will need.

I do need to install a socket on my AES though if there is a chance I will have to flash and install the bios many times.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Well Raz, I do not have a programmer, but I would be willing to pick one up if someone can point me to an affordable one, and the type of eeprom I will need.

I do need to install a socket on my AES though if there is a chance I will have to flash and install the bios many times.

I have a TOP3000, which (IMO) is awesome, even if the software to use it is not that nice. I have read there is a newer model (TOP3100) which has even more awesomeness :) however I had to pick mine used on eBay, because of its price. A link to give an idea: http://www.pic16.com/en/wzcapi/top3100.htm. The EPROM is no problem, I do not recall the exact one required right now, but they are pretty common and easy to find.

Regards.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member

Yes, you would need a socket on the AED for sure.