anyone tried these PicoATX PSU for MVS consolization?

Rampage

n00b
Hello, i'm really looking forward to consolize an MVS board myself.. i was looking at MV-1FZ boards which look fairly cheap compared to the others, even if consolizing them in a "pretty" way is probably a bit more complicated due to its slot orientation.

to make things easier i'd like to avoid soldering and modifying the board directly on the PCB, and do everything on the JAMMA connector instead, maybe with a JAMMA female plug so i could keep the board clean.

One of the biggest problem would be to deal with the power supply.. ATX power supplies are easy to use and i think work well, but they are huge and not suitable for consolization.

on the other hand other standard AC/DC PSU won't provide +5 and +12 at the same time.

then lurking around i found these:
http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-160-XT

which provide +5 and +12, are fairly cheap and small.. and they are powered using an external unit like laptops.

problem is.. would they be powerful enaugh to meet the needs of an MVS 1 slot board?

has anyone tried these before and can provide feedbaks?

thanks

Rampage

n00b
ooohh.. cool i didn't know there were such things around... see you never stop learning on this forum :)

do you know if there are shops who sell them in Europe? or even better, free shipping to Europe?

oh.. is 2A on the +12 line enaugh?

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
ooohh.. cool i didn't know there were such things around... see you never stop learning on this forum :)

do you know if there are shops who sell them in Europe? or even better, free shipping to Europe?

oh.. is 2A on the +12 line enaugh?

2amps on the 12v is way more than enough. 1 amp would be more than sufficient.

As far as a Euro shop goes, you would probably need to google for that.

Or have someone in the US buy them and ship them to you.

Hodor

Cheng's Errand Boy
I presume the 5 DIN pin outputs the +5V, +12V and ground, ¿am I wrong? That power supply looks like really promising for my MV2F.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Could you also use something like this for a CMVS or an SG?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123309
I think 2Amp is a little low. Sure, 1 slots only need about 1.3A-1.6A, but the power supply would be under quite some load all the time which can't be good. For a Supergun Setup I think you ought to have some more power, as some boards certainly pull more than 2A.

I dig that it has a molex connector though. Always liked those better then the round din type ones.