Anyone playing Jedi Survivor?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Got it the other day and I have to say there are several improvements like frickin' QUICK TRAVEL.

That's something that should have been in the 1st game and it's absence was what prevented me from playing through it again. I have zero idea how something as useful as that wasn't one of the first things they came up with during the ideas phase. Ugh, that sucked. But now we have it.. The planets are also quite a bit larger and the main one (Khobo, I think?) sorta kinda almost feels open world. It technically is because you can go just about anywhere and are only stopped by missing or not-yet-found gear/items.

But I've found myself just running around and killing stuff. The stances are a bit more robust, instead of single or double bladed sabers you also have a dual wield which I like quite a bit, and a single saber + gun combo which feels really... weird. Its ok and the gun can come in handy and one-shot smaller annoying enemies, but it doesn't do much against bosses or higher level enemies because they just dodge every single shot. Also you are limited to 2 stances only. So far I have 4, single blade, dual wield, double bladed and the gun/single. But you cant have all 4. You have to pick and choose which two you want to use.

It still feels like a soulslike, but this one seems to be quite a bit more like a Metroidvania than Souls, but it still has the enemy respawn, lose your XP if you die, stuff etc. There's a beacon system, but you have to use binoculars (BD-1's butthole, basically) to drop a beacon, but it doesn't show up in the main world/hud so you can still get turned around and go the opposite way from what you intended. That's a small gripe, but still, something that could have been implemented.

There's also a 'town' aspect to it. On your main world (again, Khobo) there's a small settlement where you meet some new characters. In your travels, you come across others that are exploring, bounty hunting, prospecting and you can send them to your main hideout. This opens up more shops, a garden on the roof (you still find seeds all over the place), and there's even an aquarium from what I can tell but I havent gotten any fish. As you gather them in your hideout, you can talk to them, some of them open shops, or become a band. They open up 'rumors' that you can go investigate which end up getting you items that you can trade into the different shops for extra perks, clothes, hair/beard combos (wtf) and paintjobs for BD-1 and your saber.

For the clothes thing, I find it utterly useless - BUT - there is one combo of clothes you can get (shirt, jacket, pants) that are called "Outrider" and they basically make you look like Dash Rendar from Shadows of the Empire. Gotta admit that's pretty cool and a nice reference.

Lastly, there's a mini-game in it called Holotactics. I guess its kinda like a card game. While you have BD-1 scan stuff you fight and kill, ranging from Storm Troopers to droids, to animals, and larger beasts, they get turned into 'cards' that you can use at the holo table and you build a team, and fight another character's team from the game. Its not super deep, but honestly a little bit of fun.

Decent game for sure. If you liked the first, this one has plenty of quality improvements. So far its pretty decent and fun.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
We played through the first one less than a year ago and thoroughly enjoyed it, minus the boss battles where it's just waves of enemies hunting you down in a confined space.

I'm glad they expanded on the stances and fucking quick travel was sorely needed with how annoying backtracking was (especially in Kashyyyk)

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
I've been playing it. Took forever on the double frog fight.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’ll probably check it out if it comes to gamepass.

The first game was decent, though my desire to play a jedi/force user in a Star Wats game isn’t too great.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I've been playing it. Took forever on the double frog fight.

Dont think Ive gotten there yet. Is that one of those Jedi 'training' things where you hit the purple thing and it takes you into like a dream or whatever? If so, definitely haven't found it yet.

Im also assuming its the Ogdo Frog thing from the first game? TBH I'm playing it on whatever setting is one notch above story so it's not difficult.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I’ll probably check it out if it comes to gamepass.

The first game was decent, though my desire to play a jedi/force user in a Star Wats game isn’t too great.

What I like about this and the first one is that its not all just force stuff like Jedi Outcast, or whatever. Its more of a platform/combat game, but with very minor/simple force powers. This new one gives you a couple more but nothing that you have to use literally every time to come out on top.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
Dont think Ive gotten there yet. Is that one of those Jedi 'training' things where you hit the purple thing and it takes you into like a dream or whatever? If so, definitely haven't found it yet.

Im also assuming its the Ogdo Frog thing from the first game? TBH I'm playing it on whatever setting is one notch above story so it's not difficult.

Yes, and yes. I'm playing on the second-highest difficulty. Enough of a challenge, but not BS broken.
The games don't do anything original, but I like that it takes elements from the Souls games, with Metroid-style traversal. I enjoyed the Holotactics mini-game - there just weren't enough opponents.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I did not at all care for the main mechanic where you either find Respawn's intended parkour line or you get nowhere. Felt far more constrained than the first one, which is saying a lot.

Good combat, but the rest of it was bad enough that I couldn't get through two main worlds before tapping out.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
I finished the game last night - thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the technical issues.

Screenshot 2023-08-03 162345.png

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I finished the game last night - thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the technical issues.

View attachment 67283

Im not sure how far I am in the game, but Im about to face down Dagan. Ive only been to 3 other places than Khobo. Coruscant, Jedah, Khobo and the shattered moon.

I just got the ability to swing up to those floating balloon things. How close to the end would you say I am?

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
The balloon grapple thing is one of the later abilities. Hard to say how far you have to go, as I spent a lot of time on side stuff.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Yeah thats what Ive been doing trying to explore and find stuff. I cant seem to locate those two people who were scared of that big bird thing. Ive run around Khobo and I still cant find them from early on in the game lol.