Anyone own a BowFlex or a CrossBow?

AztekNinja

Fire Starter, Instigator, the guy from RE5
I am thinking of purchasing one of these machines. The infomercials are constantly on at night, I have been meaning to buy one for a while. Anyone one of these? How is it? Results?

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I have a bowflex. Honestly, I don't think they're worth the money. At least to me. I use it maybe 30 - 45 min a day, and the rest of the time is spent outside jogging/running. I financed it, so I'm going to be paying on this for a while. So if you're either a body builder, or you plan on doing something really time-consuming with this machine, I say just pay a membership fee for a local gym. Sure, it's nice having this on demand in the comfort of my own home, but the price just isn't worth it for what I could be doing the same and paying less a month somewhere else.

It's a quality machine though. It just comes down if you have the time to invest in it.

AztekNinja

Solidus Snake said:
I was thinking of getting one as well. Answers plz.

EDIT: You can try www.bowflex.com

Whats the url for the crossbow, I dont remember it? I am more interested in the crossbow, I think its a lot less and supposedly better.

AztekNinja

SonGohan said:
I have a bowflex. Honestly, I don't think they're worth the money. At least to me. I use it maybe 30 - 45 min a day, and the rest of the time is spent outside jogging/running. I financed it, so I'm going to be paying on this for a while. So if you're either a body builder, or you plan on doing something really time-consuming with this machine, I say just pay a membership fee for a local gym. Sure, it's nice having this on demand in the comfort of my own home, but the price just isn't worth it for what I could be doing the same and paying less a month somewhere else.

It's a quality machine though. It just comes down if you have the time to invest in it.

Umm. I could make time for it. I'm not getting one to lose weight, I am pretty built now. Not huge built, but in still. I want to get bigger, not too big either just bigger. Ever since I left my free weight training for being a member of the HS football team, I rarely train now. I better get serious about it before I lose all my muscle and turn skinny or worse....fat. Nooooooooo!! So you notice almost no muscle gain from the workout?

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I've toned a lot of my body. I'm not trying to get built really big or anything. I did notice results quickly, especially around my waist, legs, and arms. The commercial doesn't bs, it'll do a lot of things for you. My problem isn't with the machine itself, it's the fact that I don't have time to use it as much as I'd like, and the free time I do have to do it I could just be at the local gym getting the same results for a lot less. But that's me just being stupid by financing the thing in the first place. So yeah, if you buy it make sure you have the time to invest and just pay straight up.

AztekNinja

Solidus Snake said:
http://www.epinions.com/content_96321048196

Here it says its better than BowFlex and cheaper.

Sounds good to me. This is what I'm looking for and crossbow has it.

- Less Expensive
- More Weight Resistance

ITs cheaper and has a lot of weight resistance. Umm, maybe the sports authority has it cause I dont want to buy online.

AztekNinja

SonGohan said:
I've toned a lot of my body. I'm not trying to get built really big or anything. I did notice results quickly, especially around my waist, legs, and arms. The commercial doesn't bs, it'll do a lot of things for you. My problem isn't with the machine itself, it's the fact that I don't have time to use it as much as I'd like, and the free time I do have to do it I could just be at the local gym getting the same results for a lot less. But that's me just being stupid by financing the thing in the first place. So yeah, if you buy it make sure you have the time to invest and just pay straight up.

Thanks bro, I apprecitae the time you took to give me your experience.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
meh

gym pass + jogging + at home crunches = all you'll ever need.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I've been thinking about snagging a CrossBar (they changed the name of the CrossBow for some reason, may be a copyright thing) for a little while now. It looks like a quality machine, on the same order as the the Bowflex, and it looks a little easier/quicker to change the weight.

The only thing that bothers me is the "magic box" that houses all the gears and pulleys that do the weight changing on the CrossBar. It probably isn't nearly as durable as the Bowflex's system.

Anyway, the Bowflex isn't really an option for me right now. I'd end up spending 2 grand on that thing.

T_Smallz

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
Both are shit. Free weights and a treadmill are the way to go.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I've used my old roommate's bowflex, and I'll be honest: I don't think it's worth it. Free weights are the way to go, as you can do a ton with them. I just do bench, free weights (which, as I said, open a ton of exercises to you), and maybe a squat rack. That with push ups and crunches will give you a great body without spending a ton.

Good luck with what you decide. Remember, the diet is just as important as the workout.

Spike

datalogik

Zero's Tailor,
I have a bowflex, but I also at the same time use free weights.

Bowflex is mainly for toning.

You want muscles?

Get free weights and intake plenty of Whey protein.

Last edited:

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
Get a gym membership. At least if you get tired of it you don't have to sell it on ebay or a garage sale. I've been going to the gym many a year now and it beats working out at home (which I also tried). I was 310 when I started to go and now I'm 259 (9 pounds from my goal weight!). I don't think I could have ever gotten the results I want by working out at home. Plus unless they pack some hot chicks in the bow flex box gym>homework out machines. I really concentrate on lifting and the machines are a nice change of pace but free weights are my bread and butter. Since you live in chicago there should not be a shortage of gyms. My cousin has a bow flex and anything over 300 lbs feels like machine is going to break.

KzerXtreme

n00b
I remember hearing on the news a while ago 1 of them(can't remember which) got recalled because they would collapse on people, anyone else see that?