anyone here have a drone

mikemann

Quiz Detective
I own a hobbystore. If you ever have questions, need advice, etc. Hit me up. Radio Control is easily 80% of my business.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I see drones all the time... they regularly pollinate the flowers in my backyard.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Bump.

A week or two ago my sister was telling me she was going to buy a drone to do some video and photography on her trips to Africa (@LoneSage, update the canon) and I told her I had also been looking at drones lately. Turns out we had both more or less been looking at the same model of drone. She was trying to buy an older model used so I just threw some cash her way to get one new (and so I could umm...fly it too.)

Anyway, what started me looking at drones of late was because I just absolutely could not believe how far the technology had progressed. This drone she got (DJI Mini SE) is pure consumer grade technology. My perception is it's absolutely mature technology that any moron can fly. I wouldn't say my sister isn't tech savvy, but this type of stuff is definitely not what she's normally interested in and she had zero issue flying it. You can charge the battery and then just fly.

Just flew it myself this evening and I'm just absolutely blown away. The technology is phenomenal. Has it been like this for years and I've just been asleep?

I've been looking at a lot of battery powered/electric stuff of late and I'm finally getting the sense that we are now in the future. The miniaturization of power technology and increasing efficiency of power delivery is just bonkers.

The future actually is now.

@LoneSage did you ever actually get a drone?

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
@LoneSage did you ever actually get a drone?
Yeah we flew it like twice or thrice. Never even bothered setting up the iPhone to sync with it and record video.

Always wanted to record footage from the Great Wall. Never did. Ugh..

Anyways drones are pretty cool. Basically a toy for adults.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
This DJI drone my sister got is really cool.

Great Wall by drone would be sweet.

Hopefully you’ll be able to do some traveling next year.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
There's a drone that hovers around near my place every now and then. I can hear it's itty bitty rotors buzzing around. That or I'm going mad. I wonder what the fucker is doing.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Hang on…all day and all night calling people autistic fags or whatever and you fuckers have drones? Drones?!?

Please tell us what kind of cool pins are in your hat and places you’ve ridden your Honda Goldwing to go drone flying. Also I want to see your sword collection. Thanks in advance.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Hang on…all day and all night calling people autistic fags or whatever and you fuckers have drones? Drones?!?

Please tell us what kind of cool pins are in your hat and places you’ve ridden your Honda Goldwing to go drone flying. Also I want to see your sword collection. Thanks in advance.
Yeah alright 'billyjoelzeta'

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

Cool your jets, faggot

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
When drones first started to become a thing that would eventually eat the rest of the hobby shop I was always perplexed by the people who bought them. Sure, they were the usual, either fat kids or middle aged fat men. They looked like normal RC people…but there is a difference. They are helpless. Dumb. Don't dumb people already have a place to be? Why isn't that dipshit at the sportsbar? They can’t build a kit or fix it or even fly it. The thing comes built, essentially flies itself via multi-axis feedback and CPU stability aid, and repairs are sometimes easy, sometimes impossible. It doesn’t matter though because the useless consumer idiots buying them never repair anything. They bring it back to the shop and those guys fix it.

For years I had always assumed this was the new generation of nerd. The kids who’s mom never let them paint their models because of the toxins. Nerds too protected in their youth to learn any actual nerd stuff like casting Bigfoot prints or soldering Heathkits. I was wrong though, I eventually learned the "real" excuse...

When a 45 year old is pressured by a 15 year old you learn the real reason. They aren't too stupid to fix the thing. They are too grown up and BUSY, you see? They'll claim the reason they never learned how to fix their toys is because they are big successful grownups now and they don't have time to waste on it. They have kids now and other important things to attend to so they don't have time to do it. This really blew my mind. It did explain pretty much everything from their dumb perspective. They aren't too dumb to come up with a really great excuse for being dumb; too busy to learn anything.

Gamma Male: "Why do you fix your own stuff, are you poor or something?"

15 Year old kid: "Why do you have so many toys if you're so fucking busy and grown up?"

To be fair, it wasn't really the drone people who started this, it was the Traxis garbage. Building your RC car was standard for 30 years and then this trash company came along. They prepared they way, took all the "hobby" out of it and made it an Amazon's Choice level distraction. It wasn't so obvious at the time though because you still have to drive an RC car.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
When drones first started to become a thing that would eventually eat the rest of the hobby shop I was always perplexed by the people who bought them. Sure, they were the usual, either fat kids or middle aged fat men. They looked like normal RC people…but there is a difference. They are helpless. Dumb. Don't dumb people already have a place to be? Why isn't that dipshit at the sportsbar? They can’t build a kit or fix it or even fly it. The thing comes built, essentially flies itself via multi-axis feedback and CPU stability aid, and repairs are sometimes easy, sometimes impossible. It doesn’t matter though because the useless consumer idiots buying them never repair anything. They bring it back to the shop and those guys fix it.

For years I had always assumed this was the new generation of nerd. The kids who’s mom never let them paint their models because of the toxins. Nerds too protected in their youth to learn any actual nerd stuff like casting Bigfoot prints or soldering Heathkits. I was wrong though, I eventually learned the "real" excuse...

When a 45 year old is pressured by a 15 year old you learn the real reason. They aren't too stupid to fix the thing. They are too grown up and BUSY, you see? They'll claim the reason they never learned how to fix their toys is because they are big successful grownups now and they don't have time to waste on it. They have kids now and other important things to attend to so they don't have time to do it. This really blew my mind. It did explain pretty much everything from their dumb perspective. They aren't too dumb to come up with a really great excuse for being dumb; too busy to learn anything.

Gamma Male: "Why do you fix your own stuff, are you poor or something?"

15 Year old kid: "Why do you have so many toys if you're so fucking busy and grown up?"

To be fair, it wasn't really the drone people who started this, it was the Traxis garbage. Building your RC car was standard for 30 years and then this trash company came along. They prepared they way, took all the "hobby" out of it and made it an Amazon's Choice level distraction. It wasn't so obvious at the time though because you still have to drive an RC car.
What the fuck

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
To be fair, it's not a half bad post. I don't think he diagnoses the faux-hobbyist correctly though, the reason most people buy one is because, like LoneSage, they'll fly it a handful of times and that's really it. And since Americans are hopeless consumers, by the time they get around to getting tired of it or breaking it, there will be a new thing to buy anyway. It isn't a hobby, it's just a cool thing to buy.

Also, damn you Duf for making me read the first page without realizing this thread was 6 years old.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
There's a parallel universe where today NeoSneth is a US Army drone operator dropping payloads on unsuspecting Taliban soldiers in Afghanistan.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
To be fair, it's not a half bad post. I don't think he diagnoses the faux-hobbyist correctly though, the reason most people buy one is because, like LoneSage, they'll fly it a handful of times and that's really it. And since Americans are hopeless consumers, by the time they get around to getting tired of it or breaking it, there will be a new thing to buy anyway. It isn't a hobby, it's just a cool thing to buy.

Also, damn you Duf for making me read the first page without realizing this thread was 6 years old.

So drones are like flying 3D printers, is what you're saying.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
So drones are like flying 3D printers, is what you're saying.

Not at all.

3D printers have advanced greatly, greatly in the last few years but they are still in the realm of hobbyists to get anything meaningful out of them. There is still setup, tinkering, and working with settings, etc to get a really nice print.

The new drones are consumer products out of the box with zero need to tinker or have any prior knowledge. The cameras they carry on them are by and large excellent, certainly good enough for YouTube, Social Media, etc.

Tons of “creators” are using drones for their content. I for one think the development of this technology is absolutely wild. It’s incredible how far they have developed. Particularly the models that have an active tracking feature.

3D printers aren’t there yet.

I’m still not sure what your point is though. It sounds like gatekeeping and/or perhaps you bemoaning the mainstreaming of your hobby? Perhaps you’re decrying rampant consumerism? I’m not sure.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
My interest in drones was piqued because they are now consumer-level products.