Anyone ever use a game cataloging app?

DrScience

n00b
I tried out the free version of CLZ Games for Android and it's a nice app but the full version cost $15.00 which to me seems kind of high.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
if you need an app to keep track/penis envy you got too many games...

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
I use the tools at rfgeneration. Their app can use a barcode scanner to add items to your collection.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
DR SCIENCE VS DOCTOR SHROOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Honestly, if you have $2k+ worth of games and have renter's home owner's insurance, you might as well catalogue them in the event your shit gets stolen. Unless you're K2 and can pre-cog theft and chase down the bastards. I have Delicious Library. I borrowed the Bluetooth barcode scanner from the retail place I was working at and scanned all of my boxed games in. Took me 15 minutes.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I'd just use a Google doc (or Google Sheets, the spreadsheet equivalent) - it's free, offers a great mobile app and is backed up to the cloud automatically. I don't use those apps, but have friends that have lost all their data when their phone is lost/broken. Plus those apps usually limit what you can track based on common systems. What about your massive Game.com collection?

DrScience

n00b
Yeah I was thinking of just going the Google doc route and that's probably what I'll end up doing.
I don't have many games in my collection so it won't take long to populate.
Was just looking to use something with my phone so when I go to flee markets or garage sales I won't pick up duplicates that I already have. I'd rather just leave them behind for the next collector to grab.

SolidSnape

n00b
I use the My Game Collection app. It's decent. I've had a few issues cataloging certain games that couldn't be found in whatever databases it sources for information.

I probably have around 200 games total. I could definitely get by without an app, but it's cool to be able to show fellow enthusiasts games in my collection.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Honestly, if you have $2k+ worth of games and have renter's home owner's insurance, you might as well catalogue them in the event your shit gets stolen. Unless you're K2 and can pre-cog theft and chase down the bastards. I have Delicious Library. I borrowed the Bluetooth barcode scanner from the retail place I was working at and scanned all of my boxed games in. Took me 15 minutes.

As much as I want to say that cataloging your games is for gaylords, fakeXsound is totally right. For insurance purposes it's a good idea to catalog your shit. And take pics. For stroking your e-peen, it makes you a class 3 gaylord.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Agreed, sounds bad at first but that HTML in my sig comes in handy for insurance but also just in case I forget if I need a book for a game or at one point over the decades owned it but no longer do if I wish to play again as buying shit you already own is really stupid. I do the list stuff for my Transformers, arcade cabinet, and pinball machine too and those I do have pictures of as well as perodically I update my antiques/vintage toys n stuff too.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
You most likely already have excel on your computer, learn to use that. It's not that hard.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I tried out the free version of CLZ Games for Android and it's a nice app but the full version cost $15.00 which to me seems kind of high.

Just take a photo of your mom's basement you fucking nerd.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I've been using the desktop version of the CLZ apps for years for my games and comics. When the mobile apps came out a few years ago I jumped on those too and they are great. It's nice having your whole collection on your phone. It's kept me from accidentally rebuying things when out at flea markets and such. Plus scanning in stuff with the scanner app is so much better then the crappy barcode scanner I used to use.

I know they have changed the pricing on their PC apps, but when I bought them I got a lifetime deal with their cloud service. This saved me from reentering everything when I had a hard drive failure. There are many different alternatives now, but I've always liked the Collectorz apps.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
RFGeneration is amazing. Great app and site. It's exactly what I've been looking for for years now. It's free, easy to use, and has great features. Highly recommended.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
What happened to ign's collection lists, anyone know? I used to have this,tried going back to my old link and nothing's there, get redirected. sad shit man.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
When my place was broken into a while back, I had a ton of Dreamcast games stolen. I luckily had a picture of them, and the insurance company ended up giving me like $35 per game. They didn't even question the picture....

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
As much as I want to say that cataloging your games is for gaylords, fakeXsound is totally right. For insurance purposes it's a good idea to catalog your shit. And take pics. For stroking your e-peen, it makes you a class 3 gaylord.

That's exactly what I do, and save pictures on a photo archive service.

I personally use Excel spreadsheet. It works well for own/want list to keep track of prices.

Game TZ also has a really good catalog. Those android apps are kinda shitty, at least ones I've used because a lot of neo games are not cataloged correctly, or just missing. Sometimes you have to mark and AES game as MVS.

Game TZ is great though, you just have to put your stuff in "collection" not "available" or you get a lot of stupid trade offers. Although I have pulled some great trades in the past.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
I use Google Docs/Sheets as well. Plus for a lot of things I will put in where/when I got it if I remember.

It's kind of neat when scrolling through you look at Crazy Taxi and remember playing it with your cousins who got it for you as a gift.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year

So enable 'apps from unknown sources' on your phone/tablet and then download the full apk.

I use an app on Android called "MyMovies" to keep track of my DVD/HD/Blu collection. It syncs with it's cloud and works with other versions, like the one on the iPad. Its got a scanner for barcodes, and you can even check movies out to people, with a record of when they borrowed it. I have some friends that are - or I should say *were* - notorious for borrowing my shit and then keeping it for ages, or never returning it and borrowing something else. That no longer happens.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I would use something like that MyMovies if it did VHS and LaserDisc too. For my movie collection I just use a Google Doc.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I would use something like that MyMovies if it did VHS and LaserDisc too. For my movie collection I just use a Google Doc.
I don't have any vhs or laser discs, but I think it actually does support them.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
It's not perfect but I like RF Generation. There's an Android app too (no app for iOS).