Anyone else's 360 crap out on them?

ShyningFade

Crossed Swords Squire
Yeah, I finally got the three red lights of death. Kept the fucker cooled off and well-ventilated, and it still decided to die on me for no reason. Froze right in the middle of a game and that was the end of that.

Checking the forums on gamefaqs, it seems like i'm going to have to drop about $130 bucks on repairs... has anyone else had to go through this? I'm usually respectable on the phone when it comes to customer service, but if I had to explode on there to get some free service, then i'll do it.

Willeh

An,
Mine locks up on me occasionally, and gives me that "Cannot read game disc" bs.

If it keeps happening I'm taking a hammer to it, and making good on that warranty I bought with it. :buttrock:

ShyningFade

Crossed Swords Squire
You know, I had a feeling I should've bought that damn warranty. But something about that just seems wrong in a way, lol.

I mean, i've had nearly every main console since the NES, and the only ones to die on me were the ps1 and 2. And even THOSE lasted well over a year before they kicked the bucket on me. Ugh. Nine months and time for a replacement? I shouldn't have to pay extra money on something that costs 400.

I seriously hope that I can talk my way into some free service, since i've already spent well more than I should have on this thing. If not, I guess i'll just go Wii for all my next-gen needs.

Willeh

An,
I'm thinking about selling mine.

If I decide to I'll smash this one and get a brand new one first.

The fact I dropped $900 on a console + games is making me feel like a faggot.

I buy warranties on everything I buy, especially electronics.

With so many intricate parts the chances are something will go wrong, and if nothing goes wrong after 364 days I smash the system anyways and get a new one with a new warranty for another year.

:smirk:

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Mine was on the road to failure. It was crashing on me several times a day, despite me having it set up properly with adequate ventilation and cooling for both the system and power supply. It also scratched the shit out of one of my games (no, I wasn't changing from horizontal to vertical etc).

Before it got any worse I just took it to EB and cashed out the extended warranty. The new one I got has been running fine 98% of the time, though it has crashed a couple of times with Dead Rising and Dynasty Warriors.

ShyningFade

Crossed Swords Squire
Well, it looks like Microsoft is going the way of Sony... I wouldn't feel so bad if I messed it up on my own, or if millions of other people weren't having the same problems.

The fact that all of these problems are widespread makes it that much worse. By the way, if you smash that 360, get a video of that. It's something I wanna see, lol.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
I don't know how "widespread" the issues are. You've only got two people replying to this thread. My premium does the dirty disc routine while playing CoD2. And I've had it freeze up a handful of times while playing Dead Rising. Other than that, it works fine.

But I'm still out of the majority among my friends. None of them has a single problem with their 360.

MNK

King's Dry Cleaner
My 360 died. Microsoft picked it up and sent it to Germany (I live in Sweden) for repair and shipped me a new one in 6 days including a weekend. Great service but shame about the problem in the first place.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
I wonder how much of the system freezing I've seen with mine and other's 360's is related to heat? Even though my system is kept free from obstruction and with plenty of airflow, it still blows some serious hot air from the exhaust fans.

If anyone ever makes a decent aftermarket cooling solution, I may give it a try and see if it helps. I've seen water cooled 360's, but I don't feel like going to that extreme and ruining my warranty..

Mawdsley

Belnar Institute Student
Not had a problem with mine (thank god). It chewed up a game once but that was because it got knocked from vertical to horizontal while playing. Since ive been running it horizontal its been fine.

Ive thrown my box into a rucksack (made for laptops) and taken it round a few places and its been fine also.

I bought two when I got mine, one for me and one for my boss. Took round my profile the other day to play sf2 on a memory card and his kept freezing up. Guess I was lucky.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I'm on my third system; my current one has freezes and lockups often.

Signed,
Just waiting to send it in to get my 4th.

GeoStigma

Loyal Neo-Disciple
One kid I know is on his third. I still plan on picking one up this November, paranoid as hell now.

barf

Maxima's Barber
Mine works alright. Never a read failure or anything. Funny thing, it s a launch core unit, i thought i d be more in danger than others, but all my friends/collegues that have a later model have read issues (they have the quiet DVD drive, mine is loud).

Mawdsley

Belnar Institute Student
I think its the same problem as the first xbox. The drives are made by different manufacturers, and some are better than others. I did see a page that explained how to see which drive you had and if they were good or not when the firmware hack first came out.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Magician said:
I'm on my third system; my current one has freezes and lockups often.

Signed,
Just waiting to send it in to get my 4th.

ahahahahahahhahahah
ahahahhahahahhahaha

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I'm on my second system. My first one didn't do red lights of death, but it sure did decide to completely wipe out the picture and replace it with green and red lines on a black background, though.

I had the extended warranty, though, so I took that fucker back to Gamestop and walked out of there with a new system, old harddrive, no questions asked.

Does start to make you wonder exactly what the defective rate on the system is.

Do companies consider a product "defective" only if it doesn't work right out of the box, or does it still count toward that stat if it works for 9 months and then dies?

cafu1982

Krauser's Henchman
wow, I had no idea 360's would still be unreliable 1 year after launch.

I hope its not as bad for the PS3, but heat is likely to be the problem again looking at all the holes in the PS3's casing.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Extended warranties on Video Game Systems is Usery.

Warranties are for Hyundais, not Xboxes.

NeoGeo2k2

Noooooooo peeking ;-),
I'm on my third system as well.

I sold my first one to a friend, it was a first model and it work like a dream, never had a problem with it, and my friend is still using it.

I also sold my second one to my Cuz, that I got on March of 06 and it still works great...

My lady just got me a new one last week, so I'll see how this one works out:D

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Mine works pretty damn good....I do have a strong fan blowing in it's side and on the power supply though..
It cools it off a lot more then what the system felt like without it.

Call Of Duty 2 won't load between Campaigns.,but will load individual missions fine.

Quake 4 would lock up.freeze etc...I exchanged the game for another and it was the game causing the problem.

ShyningFade

Crossed Swords Squire
norton9478 said:
Extended warranties on Video Game Systems is Usery.

Warranties are for Hyundais, not Xboxes.

Couldn't agree more with that one, lol. I'm kinda hoping that this picks up more momentum and Microsoft does a recall or something, although I know they won't. At the very least, offer free repairs. Even Sony does that.

And without trying to sound racist or prejudiced, is it just me or is every single technical support person Indian??? The instant I called I knew that I wasn't going to get anywhere. It's almost as if they hire them on purpose since it's impossible to understand what they're trying to say.