Anyone else had to send in their Wii for repairs?

talks2wall

Host for Orochi
I've had my Wii since January but a few weeks ago the drive start making a loud whirring sound any time there's a disc in it. Luckily it doesn't trash the discs, but it's really loud and annoying. Called up Nintendo today and I need to send it in to either be repaired or have the disc drive replaced. I haven't heard many, if any, stories about bustigated Wiis. Anyone else had an issue where they sent their Wii to Nintendo for repairs?

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
yup.

Mine was defective out of the box.

Good ol' Ninty over-nighted me one.

Stood in line for a few hours (2 days) at launch,
get home and its broke.

Wank.

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
Mine went in for repairs 2-3 weeks after I bought it. The system stays too warm in sleep and gets very hot. Eventually I got the artifact problem with black dots all over the screen. Other folks with the same problem theorized that it's either the heatsink was not seated correctly or there's too much thermal paste.

Nintendo's service was awesome. The customer rep was actually friendly, unlike all the other companies out there, and he's not in India so I can understand him. They paid for shipping to the repair center, and I got a brand new one back. Took a week total. The system now does not get warm when it's in sleep mode and doesn't get hot when on, like it did with my first one.

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
Wow, that sucks.

At least it doesn't burn a ring into the discs like 360s do.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I thought about it, my Wii would give me an "internal system memory corrupted" message on the first boot each day. Turn off, then turn on again and it was fine for the rest of play time.

It did this for nearly a month and I was just liking Wii Sports too much to want to send it in.

Then one day it just stopped, and hasn't happened again since.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
I haven't had any problems with mine which is nice because I always seem to end up with defective launch systems.

I thought that I read it was normal for the system to be warm when in standby mode?

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
Gameoz said:
I haven't had any problems with mine which is nice because I always seem to end up with defective launch systems.

I thought that I read it was normal for the system to be warm when in standby mode?

On my first one it was pretty warm, almost hot in standby. Searched around the net and they said it's the heat from the wireless card. If you have Wii Connect 24 option on the wireless card stays on in standby and gets hot. iirc I tried turning that option off but the system still stayed warm, but not as warm as when Wii Connect 24 was on.

talks2wall

Host for Orochi
eek said:
Nintendo's service was awesome. The customer rep was actually friendly, unlike all the other companies out there, and he's not in India so I can understand him. They paid for shipping to the repair center, and I got a brand new one back. Took a week total. The system now does not get warm when it's in sleep mode and doesn't get hot when on, like it did with my first one.
Very true. I was surprised by how friendly the guy was on the phone. I was expecting an attitude and him to walk me through switching the Wii to horizontal and back to vertical to "fix" the problem. None of that though. I just explained the problem, told him it wasn't damaging the discs and he gave me the option to send mine in for repairs or to have a replacement shipped to me.