Anybody own a boat?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Thinking of buying a boat - no super yacht, just something I can take out to sea for a long weekend, eat, drink, fish and sleep.

Anybody have any experience? Is it a damn fool idea?

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Life at home that shit eh?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I had a boat once and I spent every waking minute on it banging beach girls, drinking expensive whiskey and champagne, wearing a captains hat the entire time. Twas grand.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Having a friend that owns a boat is much better than owning a boat.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
Thinking of buying a boat - no super yacht, just something I can take out to sea for a long weekend, eat, drink, fish and sleep.

Anybody have any experience? Is it a damn fool idea?

bathroom wanking no longer doin it for ya?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

I agree. Maintenance, fuel, boat docking, etc. Fuck that. Unless you have cash to burn or plan on spending a good amount of time during the year on it, it's not really worth it.

Good times though.

Last edited:

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member

This is the best answer. Where I live the only thing more common than someone owning a boat is someone selling a boat.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
This is the truth. My entire life my father has had boats. They are nothing but a giant money sink and headache. Where to rent a slip to store them, or having a vehicle that is capable of towing one, winterizing each year, then spring comes and something in the engines has gone wrong and needs a service call, etc etc etc. I've watched this my entire life with probably 10 different boats at this point.
They are a huge hassle, and the hassle pretty much taints the fun you'd have with it once it's up and running for the year. I would avoid.

StevenK

10 Year Member
Seems like we're looking at rental then. I can live with that.

Thanks for the input - probably saved me a summer of stress.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Seems like we're looking at rental then. I can live with that.

Thanks for the input - probably saved me a summer of stress.

I rent a pontoon for a week every summer. $700 or so. One time cost and none of the year round garbage involved in ownership. My folks have a smaller fishing boat if I need something during the year. For that week - we use all of our toys, do boat swimming, boat fishing, etc. We probably use it 12 hours a day for those 7 days. If we owned it for a year we'd probably get it out for a day trip on the lake every weekend during warmer months for 4-5 hours. Figure 20 weekends at 5 hours (not including time loading / unloading). Time comes out about the same and cost is about 10% and 0% of the hassles.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
http://magazine.outdoornebraska.gov/2017/05/try-float-trip-phenomenon-called-tanking/

tanking4-1024x768.jpg

StevenK

10 Year Member
This is probably going to end up on the same pile as paramotoring.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Speaking from a lending point of view - YOU DONT NEED TO BUY A BOAT. JUST RENT ONE.

Depending on the kind of craft you're looking for, you're going to spend something like 15k to 35k for something that is going to sit in your back yard 9 months out of the year. No you can't just buy the boat and no trailer. No one will finance a boat without a trailer. Why? We have to be able to tow it away when we repossess it.

Just spend whatever it might cost to rent your boat that one or two times you use it to go fishing or take the kids to the lake. Spare your lender the headache of dealing with a boat. If you absolutely, positively *must* buy a boat, buy it from a dealership, and buy it in your own damn state. The paperwork on everyone's side is a bitch. Titles for the hull, trailer, and motor if it's an outboard. Registration on all 3 have to be up to date. Title fees for each piece. Oh, there are two owners for each piece, one of those is an entity, like a small business, and one of them is a dead grampa? There's the door. Don't buy a boat. Rent one.

edit: reason for rant - I'm in lending. They hate boats. Some places will flat out refuse boats all together. They are a pain in the dick for everyone involved.

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
A boat is a hole to throw money into. All the issues of home ownership and most of the issues of vehicle ownership combined. It's a nightmare.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Friend got a new sailboat last month, been out on it every other weekend. Thinking about getting one, my old optimist dinghy went as collateral damage when my dad sold our island summer place, I couldn't be arsed to drive all the way to get it :D

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I had a boat once and I spent every waking minute on it banging beach girls, drinking expensive whiskey and champagne, wearing a captains hat the entire time. Twas grand.

I mean, even if it's a little boat you can't not wear a captain's hat and pretend you're either a pirate or Jean Luc Picard the whole time.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Lots of good advice here...

A friend with a boat is a friend indeed.

The two best days in a boat owner's life are the day they buy it, and the day they sell it.

Renting is the best way to go.

About the only people I know that have boats that use them on the reg are either people that live right on a large lake, or people who are sport fishermen. Besides that, everyone else spends too much $$ on one, use it 2-3 times a season and then takes a bath selling the thing a few years later.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
What about Jet Skis?

Funny enough, of all the people that I know that currently own or have owned a boat in the past (many), none of them own jet skis.

It seems to me that they'd be easier on the budget as storage and transportation of a boat is often past of the massive expense.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
B ust
O ut
A nother
T housand

They are great if you want a money sink.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
The idea of a boat is always an interesting one. I think there may be a boat show coming around the corner here. Those are always fun to go to and picture yourself on the water.