Anybody jumping on the 3DS??

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I read the other day on one of the regular gaming sites that it was going to be $40 for most games, with some upwards of $50. I doubt anything is set in stone yet. I still wouldn't pay more than $30 for a portable game.

I guess Nintendo feels that as long as they are charging a full console price for a handheld (and getting away with it), they may as well charge full console game prices, too.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Nintendo hasn't even produced a list of launch titles, let alone prices.

But even if they had already did, there's no indication that third party publishers wouldn't charge more. Square Enix already charges up to $40 for DS games, it would be expected that their 3DS titles would cost even more.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Well at the very least, it will be interesting to see if the 3D thing takes off for Nintendo, or if this will be another expensive blunder for them like Virtual Boy. It will also be interesting to see the long term effects of this 3D stuff on people's eyes. They're already warning young children away from the thing, but you know the world famous parents of America are going to disregard any warnings and stick their kids in front of it anyway. But I'm also wondering if it may have some effect on non-kids' eyes after a while, since we all tend to disregard the warning about taking a break from video gaming every hour or whatever.

Either way, it's clear Nintendo needs to have some new gimmick, since DS sales are dropping and a lot of the smartphones everybody are getting can do pretty much everything a DS can, and often better (better/more sound, better graphics, with games a fraction the price of DS carts). Some developers like Capcom are throwing more and more of their resources into phone games as being the next big platform.

So will 3DS revitalize Nintendo's hold on the handheld market? I predict it will sell very well at launch (like every Nintendo handheld) but it will be really interesting to see how things stand a year or two from now.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Well at the very least, it will be interesting to see if the 3D thing takes off for Nintendo, or if this will be another expensive blunder for them like Virtual Boy. It will also be interesting to see the long term effects of this 3D stuff on people's eyes. They're already warning young children away from the thing, but you know the world famous parents of America are going to disregard any warnings and stick their kids in front of it anyway. But I'm also wondering if it may have some effect on non-kids' eyes after a while, since we all tend to disregard the warning about taking a break from video gaming every hour or whatever.

Either way, it's clear Nintendo needs to have some new gimmick, since DS sales are dropping and a lot of the smartphones everybody are getting can do pretty much everything a DS can, and often better (better/more sound, better graphics, with games a fraction the price of DS carts). Some developers like Capcom are throwing more and more of their resources into phone games as being the next big platform.

So will 3DS revitalize Nintendo's hold on the handheld market? I predict it will sell very well at launch (like every Nintendo handheld) but it will be really interesting to see how things stand a year or two from now.

I'm about to get all Merc on everyone, so bear with me.

With the 3DS at $250, it is not only the most expensive handheld in Nintendo’s history, but tied with the Wii as the most expensive gaming platform in Nintendo’s history. With the Wii currently at $150, this will put the 3DS at $100 more than Nintendo’s own home console. It's more expensive than an Xbox 360!

If you look at Nintendo’s key demographic, you’ll find the vast majority is 18 and younger. Most of this demographic doesn’t work and depends on mom and pop to for their video game scratch. Truth is we are still in the throws of an economic downturn. The average American family does not have a huge flow of disposable income. Also take into consideration the cash parents have already spent on Nintendo’s other DS systems, and I doubt many will be standing in line to drop another $250 for another DS like system. We all know how stupid the average parent is.

Along the same line as the previous point, I can remember clamoring for that next newest system, and my parents would always ask, “What’s this game thingy got that yours doesn’t?” Parents could care less about GPU, bits, or buttons. If it doesn’t look different, they won’t go for it. Nintendo’s 3DS looks very similar to the original DS in both name and form. We as gamers know it’s not just some minor upgrade. To the parents who take a quick glance at an ad or picture, they’ll likely dismiss it as yet another upgrade Nintendo is trying to sell them. And with Nintendo releasing a new DS iteration it seems every month, who can blame them?

I see Nintendo at the same position Sony was five years ago. At the time, Sony was riding high on the success of the PS2 after it reached 100 million units shipped. So when the PS3 came out, they figured why not price it at $600. They were Sony after all. The top dog in video games. They can price their systems at whatever price they want, and gamers would buy it up. Five years later we see the problems that created for Sony. The price point scared consumers away. Sure, it was the most powerful system around with huge innovations, but it cost way too much. That coupled with the runaway success of the Wii mixed with the strong sales of the 360, the PS3 now sits in third place.

Beyond the initial investment of $250, you'll have to spend at least $40 to get something to play on it. Now you're almost spending $300 for a portable system and a game day of? Ouch.

As much as I lament to say it, the iPhone and Android phones have made serious strides in portable gaming. More than any competitor I’d argue. They might not be Nintendo, but neither do they want to be. They’ve taken the idea of casual gaming to a whole new level. Simple, easy to play games that cost little to make and little to purchase (or nothing for many Android games). The iPhone has pioneered and perfected the digital download concept while Sony and Nintendo lag behind.

With portable devices combining what used to be several different devices, gaming has been merged into this ever changing portable market. For consumers who own an iPhone, or other gaming ready portable device, dropping another $250 for a gadget that only plays games and $40 for every game is a tough pill to swallow. In contrast, these same consumers can download games on a device they already own for as cheap as free. Granted some games can cost upwards of $19.99, but this pales in comparison to the double Nintendo is asking. Most iPhone games are $4.99 and under. This segment of gamers will only increase as the portable device market continues to grow and evolve.

Even those who don’t own an iPhone would still be amply enticed to choose it over a 3DS. I mean I just bought a fairly nice Android phone for $60, with a new 2 year contract, and I've been playing games on it more than I expected. It's nice for when I have a spare few minutes. The iPhone/Android certainly won’t have the caliber of games found on a 3DS, but for the target casual market, I doubt those consumers care.

On the subject of the iPhone/Android, consumers not only want a device for gaming, but one that offers multi-functionality. The iPhone/Android offer not only games, but apps and programs the 3DS could only dream of. If Nintendo is charging a premium price for a product, then put in premium hardware. The 3DS has 0.3 megapixel camera? My old Blackberry 8330 had a 2 megapixel camera. That’s nothing compared to the 5 megapixel camera found in the iPhone 4. Not to mention the 3DS has a lower resolution screen than the iPhone. I’m not necessarily bothered by the 3DS’s weak technical specs, as it’s all about the games for me, but it should still offer comparable hardware to merit such a price. Granted the 3DS has the whole 3-D gimmick the iPhone doesn’t (though they've been tinkering around with this 3D tech since the GBA). Nevertheless, the 3DS should offer something better for the price.

It seems now Nintendo is blaming us the gamers for making the 3DS so expensive. Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata stated one of the big factors leading to the $250 price point was fan reaction to the 3DS at E3. Alright, I’m calling bull on this one. Yes, people were very excited about the 3DS. That then means you can squeeze more money out of your loyal fan base? As I said before, Nintendo is slowly tip toeing over that line Sony did five years ago. The line that says “We’re insert game company name here, we can charge whatever the hell we want because we are so wildly successful.” That philosophy bothers me. That same philosophy may be the downfall of Nintendo if they continue to perpetrate it.

The 3DS will undoubtedly sell well. I’ll even admit I’m very excited for the system as it looks amazing with a killer line-up of titles. Does this give Nintendo the right to rake people over the coals for some extra dough? No.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
With the usual Nintendo practices, they probably won't ship as nearly as many 3DS units as the numbers of preorders they get. So unless you were one of the earliest adopters with the first few preorders made, expect the resellers to gouge the shit out of it on ebay for at least a couple of months. $300 isn't nearly enough to get you a day 1 purchase & play.

migo

n00b
Every generation it seems at least one of the console/handheld manufacturers uses unbelievably poor judgment. I imported my DS Lite (because I didn't want white) and bought a lot of Japanese carts like the Phoenix Wright games, the Japanese Dictionary, Japanese child-level language carts. There's no way in hell I'm buying two 3DS systems. I did that with Gameboy/GBA (too many to remember) and DS (2) and I just don't excessively buy hardware like that anymore.

I hadn't even thought of that! I've always hated using the thumb strap.

I know. I think it's common knowledge that single analog on the PSP was Sony's biggest cock-up. And Nintendo decided to copy them. :hammer:

The 3DS was initially really appealing to me, the thought of a cheap 3D camera as well as a gaming system was cool. Then I heard about the rumoured $300 price, and decided I would stick with the iPod touch. Lowering it to $250 is a good step, but I still wouldn't want to spend more than $180 on it.

PSP2 is also announced, and did the right thing with two analog sticks, it makes me even less interested in a 3DS.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
If the 3DS turns out to be a huge hit, I'd consider buying it once it goes below $200.
And it's true that the kids that make up the majority of handheld sales are going to have a hard time convincing their parents to fork up this kind of dough for a handheld. It's not like the Wii where the whole family gets involved. It will sell out in nanoseconds on release as usual, and for hundreds above retail on ebay, but I think after that it will quickly die down.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
If the 3DS turns out to be a huge hit, I'd consider buying it once it goes below $200.

Sounds about right. Once I finish all of my DS games, I might pick one up. Hopefully it's under $200 by then. Also, the single analog stick pisses me off.

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
I can’t imagine buying it early. There is literally no incentive to buying a Nintendo handheld at launch. Hell, any handheld at that price is a bit ridiculous; that’s a lot of coin, considering what you’re getting.

Pocketgamer

Ukyo's Doctor
15 Year Member
You can always buy it on Amazon, thats what I did. Amazon is taking preorders now and you can always cancel it if you decide you don't want it later. Granted, since the 3DS is released on a Sunday you probably won't get it the day its released, but that fine by me if I get to save $25.

I suppose there is no harm no foul if u just preorder and cancel. Is there a limit on these lol. I noticed only two colors, ugly cosmo black, and spray painted aqua blue. I guess aqua blue is okay.

Just found this link, man the Japanese are so finely in tune with technology that its literally becomes a part of them:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/29/nintendo-3ds-on-february-26-auto-generates-mii-with-front-facing/

Makes u almost want it doesn't it!

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
well i was all hyped for this, but then i read this thread.
Quite a few good points were made, which has me waiting until i see some titles in action. I was all getting ready to pre order as well.

Izsomean

Quiz Detective
If you look at Nintendo’s key demographic, you’ll find the vast majority is 18 and younger.

Is this assumption still true today?

I don't know about America, but most TV commercials for both NDS and Wii that i see now clearly aim at the parents and casual gamers...
- Donkey kong returns : a dad tells his young kid that he used to play this 15 years ago and asks him to play with him
- New super mario bros : a group of 25~35 men & women all having fun playing
- Mario Galaxy : not sure but defo adults in it playing.
- wii sports: adults playing
- wiifit : 30 to 50 years old women

Now for nds it's actually mostly for milfs (brain training :lolz:)

When i see these 3D remakes of N64 hits coming, they're obviously aiming at the 25~35 population again, which is supposed to be financially comfortable. (either singles who are not burdened with anyone else to support, or parents with at least 5 year old that are happy to find a new mean to play with their kid)

Imho their train of thought nowadays is more "Get the adults to want and buy the console, then their kids will make them buy the games."

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Is this assumption still true today?

I don't know about America, but most TV commercials for both NDS and Wii that i see now clearly aim at the parents and casual gamers...
That's dumb because I think the 3DS has zero appeal to either audience.

Parents? Get real. What parent is going to give a shit about 3D video games any more than they do regular video games? (which usually isn't much to begin with)

Nintendo tried marketing Wii at parents, and it did work at first. They created their own mini-sensation for a little while. But then it wore off and now Wii is in the dumps. Fat housewives realized they really weren't going to lose any weight by playing a fitness video game. I seriously doubt Nintendo will be able to repeat that kind of trick, especially with a handheld -- and one that costs more than a fucking Wii to top it off.

You are seriously fooling yourself if you think there is a large contingent of housewives still playing Wii Fit or training their brain on a DS or whatever. And "finding a new way to play with their kid?" Yeah, right. Like they are going to buy one for the kid and one for themselves at that price. Never happen.

And casual gamers? At that price point? Again, what greater appeal do 3D games have to someone who already only plays games casually? Will they care? I doubt it.

Throughout the entertainment industries, companies are trying to convince people to care about 3D, but I am not seeing a real response to it. Most people seem completely indifferent about 3D movies. They'll see one if the movie they want to see happens to be 3D, but most won't go out of their way to see a movie in 3D. And when you ask them how the 3D was, the usual response is, "Eh, it was okay. Not mind-blowing, and probably not worth the extra bucks to see it in 3D."

I see video games in 3D the same way. Nintendo wants to convince us it's the next big thing, but once the initial buzz wears off, I think people will realize they don't really care.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Fat housewives realized they really weren't going to lose any weight by playing a fitness video game. I seriously doubt Nintendo will be able to repeat that kind of trick, especially with a handheld -- and one that costs more than a fucking Wii to top it off.

You are seriously fooling yourself if you think there is a large contingent of housewives still playing Wii Fit or training their brain on a DS or whatever. And "finding a new way to play with their kid?" Yeah, right. Like they are going to buy one for the kid and one for themselves at that price. Never happen.

Now for nds it's actually mostly for milfs (brain training :lolz:)

Sounds like how appealing Nintendo is to a housewive depends on how fuckable she is. XD

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
I personally think they're going for the 'parents willing to spend any amount of money on their children in a desperate attempt to buy their love' demographic.

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
$250 isn't too bad if you're in the UK, but I bet they'll be double that or at least £220 UK Pounds here, so if I did get one I'd import but not from Japan due to the lack of English menu's (I'm guessing since the original DS had no English).

I guess I'll grab one to mess with within a couple months of release, then perhaps they'll have some better games to play.

I'd expect to get bored of it quick though, I just like to mess with new tech and get it out of my system.
And here is your reason as to why they region coded the system! The supply is so limited as it is no one needs people buying it from other countries for cheaper. Of course that's only part of the story.

Anyway yeah I've got mine paid off with 2 games right now DOA and SSF4. I'll be purchasing another game this week. I'm just not sure what yet. I'm ticked that Nintendo 1st party games wont be ready till June.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I am really dying to read people's impressions on this once it hits and maybe a few weeks go by for the initial adrenaline of after-purchase excitement to wear off.

j.m.ratkos

n00b
it will be interested to see if nintendo goes back to requiring a set of rules to allow 3rd party developers to pass in order to release games (aka their seal of quality) or just continue like the DS line where we end up with a few gems in a mountain full of poorly worked ports and "me too" game titles with 3D bolted onto them.

ferral

n00b
problem for me is the line-up. i will wait for impression. definitely i will buy it, but not on day one.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Just came back from the Nintendo conference, and had a go of the 3DS launch games , it's very good especially the 3D in pilot wings, SSFIV and Zelda blew my mind the most and I hated Ocarina on the N64.

Also got a few cool promo's like pen's and cups!
:D

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Just came back from the Nintendo conference, and had a go of the 3DS launch games , it's very good especially the 3D in pilot wings, SSFIV and Zelda blew my mind the most and I hated Ocarina on the N64.

Also got a few cool promo's like pen's and cups!
:D
Pics or it didn't happen :envy:

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Here you are fenikso

photo0019q.jpg

photo0021u.jpg

photo0022c.jpg

photo0020a.jpg

Last edited: