Anybody jumping on the 3DS??

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
My impressions of the 3DS

So what do you all think of the system now that it has been out for a week or so?

Here are my impressions after a week of use.

Design

I purchased the Cosmos Black and I really like the colour. Grey at the bottom, a glossy black on the control plate/top case and shiny black on the top screen area. The console looks very nice. The top widescreen is perfect but it would have been nicer to have the screens just that little bit bigger. Control wise I have a few niggles. The best new addition is the introduction of the circle pad. For me this is the best analogue pad that I have ever used and just feels perfect. All of the other face buttons are as to be expected similar to the DSi and do there job perfectly. My main gripe is the Start/Select and Home area. I'm not keen on this at all and would have much preferred regular buttons or a touch pad rather than awkward to press buttons. Trying to press start quickly say on Ridge Racer when your in the middle of racing is not that simple compared to regular buttons.

OS and Software

I think the overall menu system is pretty slick and I am very surprised on how much content the system comes with pre installed. The AR cards being the main highlight. This is some impressive software making good use of the hardware that I really would like to see developers using more in the future. If you want to show off to people what the 3DS can do that use the AR cards. I play mine on a pool table and seeing the depth and the way it alters the actual surface is really impressive.

I have also been using the 3D camera to take pictures more than ever as in 3D they are really good. Even through I'm not into photography I can see myself actually taking this with me just to take snaps to view 3D.

The friend code is much improved but we both parties having to input the codes is annoying, why cant one person add another and then you can choose to except? The friend menu is a bit lacking in content at the moment but hopefully they will add some more features such as messaging in a future update. It would have also been nice to have had some sort of achievement score card in some way. I don't feel that you completely need it but for me it would add more to the games as some are currently lacking in content, having the inclusion of achievements would help reply value and I'm surprised that there not included as many first party Wii games include there own in-game specific achievements.

Looking forward to the update coming to include a browser and Eshop, I want to start filling up some of the home screen with apps!

The games

I purchased just Ridge Racer 3D on day one and after some of the slightly iffy reviews I finally went out and purchased Pilotwings Resort and I'm glad that I did. Both games are great and the 3D is very impressive from both titles. Ridge Racer's depth is amazing and it really does add to the immersion of the game. PilotWings on the other hand looks better than Ridge Racer and the 3D I feel is a little bit better in terms of depth. The menus pop out of the screen and you really can see the distance and how close your character is to the screen.

Just a quick note regarding the 3D. Up to a few days ago when playing a game I would constantly be adjusting the 3D depth slider to get the right amount of 3D. Now I leave it all the way up and its perfect as long as I stay in the sweet spot the 3D is great. Every so often ill see a little ghosting but nothing major. I now like to have the 3D all the way up as it really does give you that sensation of looking into a box with these games with the amount of depth.

Overall this is probable the most anticipated handheld that I have ever purchased. I had a PSP and DSi before but I think the whole 3D thing sold it for me. I have to say that after a week of playing the system everyday I'm still completely impressed. The 3D to me is more than just a gimmick, it really does immerse you into the game. If I play for a a half hour with the 3D on and then switch to 2D suddenly I'm more aware of the size of the screen and all the immersion is gone. It really is impressive and that's from the first batch of launch games so really looking forward to see what developers do in the future.

I'm also alot more impressed with the power of the system. I think the graphics are really good, around the same as the Wii. Will be great to see what Nintendo can do in the future.

The only niggles I have are some of the design features and the camera. It does feel to me that Nintendo kinda held back so that they can bring out a revised version of the 3DS that I'm sure we will see 6 months down the road. So with that being said sightly bigger screens, more powerful speakers, relocation of the stylus, improved start/select and home buttons and a better camera and that will be perfect.

Anyway those are just my impressions of the console, what do you all think?

feel free to add me, my friend code is in my sig.

Jamie

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I've got SFIV3DEX+AlphaSuperChampionshipEd. now. I played someone online and had my ass handed to me (I was Blanka they were Akuma). It seemed super laggy to me (probably my shit internet connection), so I didn't feel like I could play my best. To be fair, my best still wouldn't have been great.

Cynn

Edo Express Delivery Guy
So what do you all think of the system now that it has been out for a week or so?

Here are my impressions after a week of use.

*all that good stuff*

Jamie

I agree pretty much on all points you made. I hope the system update comes soon as well. Curious how the web browser works and looking forward to one more thing to play Netflix on. I'm also curious to play a lot of the classic games they are supposedly remaking in 3D. (8-16 bit era ones) I'm not a huge fan of the N64 so those remakes aren't for me most likely.

I hope to hell the "system transfer" option is a way to export your friend list and etc to another system instead of dumping it for the next model to come out twenty minutes from now.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member

My initial impression of the hardware is very positive. I like the build, I'm one of the lucky folks whose 3DS doesn't have stuck pixels, have a bad hinge or has yet to experience the black-screen-of-fail. There're lots of pack-in goodies such as AR Games, Face Raiders, Street Pass, etc. And the online connectivity and functionality is better with the 3DS than is was with the DS.

With that said, there's a lot to be desired. Outside of AR Games the 3D effect is nothing more than a gimmick. Yeah, it's interesting for a few minutes, but after awhile gaming is more enjoyable with the 3D turned off. Then there's the launch lineup, it's weak. Slightly better than the PS2's launch lineup, which isn't saying much. Unless you're like me and this is your first time playing Street Fighter IV, the rest of the lineup consists of regurgitated franchises and tech demos.

Truthfully, that's the only complaint I have, there're zero games available in the genres I like. Those games will come eventually, but it's going to be a long wait as (to me) the only unique game coming out this year appears to be Dream Trigger 3D. The rest are just more of same, remixed with 3D slapped on top same, same recycled sports franchises, television/movie tie-in tripe and uninteresting iDevice crossovers. The sheen of new tech only lasts for so long, for in the end it always comes down to the games. New, interesting, unique and creative games.

I'm hopeful that 2012 will bring fresh ideas and interesting experiences, because the pickings on the 3DS here in 2011 are slim.

Last edited:

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
3ds: Still awesome a week later. No problems with mine. I got pilotwings, ridge racer, and street fighter.

I always play with the 3-d on. So much better. Ridge racer is just like the psp version with the 3-d turned off. With it on, it's more immersive. A thing of beauty. I've been playing street fighter for about 20 years, and I still love it. I use the dynamic mode to keep it fresh. Fun stuff. And pilotwings: fun game, but probably could use another island. I just don't notice because my time is shared between these three games. I have to say that I play ridge racer the most.

Everybody I've shown it to has been floored by the 3-d effect. I'm fine with these games for a while. Battery hasn't been a problem for me. I can't use up a full charge in a day. Maybe I need more free time. :) 3-d doesn't bother me or mess with my vision at all. I think nintendo hit it out of the park. I'm not a fanboy either.

Gimmick or not: 3-d is awesome.

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
I'm still loving the crap out of mine. I always play for at least an hour or so before going to bed. But yea, I can't wait until the update with VC and the web browser.

I have SSFIV: 3D, Pilotwings Resort, and Lego Star Wars III.

Feel free to hit me up! My code is in the sig!

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
So far the only game I've managed to get really bored of is Street Fighter. Played it for a little while and then remembered that playing through Arcade Mode and then fighting Seth still sucks balls.

So traded that in and only lost $7 on it, thankfully.

Yeah, it's been solid so far. Ghost Recon is my personal favorite game on it of the launch games, too bad that game in particular doesn't use the 3d for shit. At least it uses the 3d better than Bust a Move and The Sims. :mad:

I reserved Splinter Cell- gameplay videos on that so far look damned impressive.

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
I'm still loving the crap out of mine. I always play for at least an hour or so before going to bed. But yea, I can't wait until the update with VC and the web browser.

Added you mate, my code is also in my sig.

Magician

20 Year Member
I reserved Splinter Cell- gameplay videos on that so far look damned impressive.

You may want to pull the reserve. It's just a re-release of Chaos Theory.

With the 3DS not having a second analog stick the control is going to suck.

Last edited:

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
So far the only game I've managed to get really bored of is Street Fighter. Played it for a little while and then remembered that playing through Arcade Mode and then fighting Seth still sucks balls.

So traded that in and only lost $7 on it, thankfully.

Yeah, it's been solid so far. Ghost Recon is my personal favorite game on it of the launch games, too bad that game in particular doesn't use the 3d for shit. At least it uses the 3d better than Bust a Move and The Sims. :mad:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-01-tom-clancys-splinter-cell-3d-review
Not to belive everything you read, but here's a less than glowing review of it ;)

Magician

20 Year Member
Just look at the scheduled releases over the next several months.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3D - April 10
Thor: God of Thunder - May 3
Dream Trigger 3D - May 10
Balloon Pop 2 - May 10
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean - May 10
SpongeBob Squigglepants 3D - May 17
Dead or Alive: Dimensions - May 31
Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion - June 1
James Noir's Hollywood Crimes - June 7
Pac-Man & Galaga Dimensions - June 7
Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters - June 7
Deca Sports Extreme - June 14
Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection - June 14
Transformers Movie 2011 - June 14
Captain America: Super Soldier - June 19
Dual Pen Sports - June 22
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked - June 28
Cave Story 3D - June 28
Resident Evil: Mercenaries - July 5
Pet Zombies 3D - September 1
The Hidden - October 3
Cooking Mama 4 - October 3
Rabbids Travel In Time - TBD
Star Fox 3D - TBD
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - TBD
Paper Mario 3D - TBD
Super Mario 3D - TBD
Mario Kart 3D - TBD
Animal Crossing 3D - TBD

Is there anything on that list worth $40 outside of the first party stuff?

Honest question, no sarcasm.

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
Probably not to be honest. I'm really looking forward to:
Mario Kart
Paper Mario
Both Resi Evil games
Star Fox
Mario 3D and
Legend of Zelda (never played it)
Never Played Animal Crossing also , what a sheltered life i've led :lolz:

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Dream Trigger looks like it could be fun.

SSFIV is my one regret in purchasing. I have a ridiculous amount of lag playing on-line... :(

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
Dream Trigger looks like it could be fun.

SSFIV is my one regret in purchasing. I have a ridiculous amount of lag playing on-line... :(

I only played it once online, got my ass handed to me but it did seem fairly smooth.
Maybe it's just bandwidth related?

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
I only played it once online, got my ass handed to me but it did seem fairly smooth.
Maybe it's just bandwidth related?

Don't know. I've played at my now old apartment, and I've played at my brother's house and my mother's house, same issues almost every match... :(

Maybe 1 in 7 matches runs smoothly.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
i like Ghost Recon a lot but the more i play the more i see the wasted potential

the gameplay is seriously fun but if the graphics had been better and had the opportunity to make full use of the 3D this could have been an exceptional release

also got Super Monkey Ball

mostly because i've never played a Monkey Ball game before

fun game but kind of disappointing that you can't use motion controls and the 3D at the same time

i'm not too bothered by that release list to be honest

i see the potential in this thing and am willing to be patient

SSS

neo retired
Just look at the scheduled releases over the next several months....

Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection - June 14

Medieval Madness in 3D on the go. What more could you ask for?

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member

I've added you to my 3DS my code is in the 3DS friend code thread. (link in my sig.)

Don't know. I've played at my now old apartment, and I've played at my brother's house and my mother's house, same issues almost every match... :(

Maybe 1 in 7 matches runs smoothly.

Had the same problem with lag and I know that my crappy Internet connection is likely to blame.

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
I've added you to my 3DS my code is in the 3DS friend code thread. (link in my sig.)

Had the same problem with lag and I know that my crappy Internet connection is likely to blame.

I tried SF4 online for the first time tonight for a few matches and it was super laggy also. The controls felt like Mortal Kombat 1 on the SNES. I did win a round or two, but generally I did really bad. I hope future titles can work out the lag issue.

On a side note, does anyone know if it is possible for 3DS games to receive patches and updates?

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
You may want to pull the reserve. It's just a re-release of Chaos Theory.

With the 3DS not having a second analog stick the control is going to suck.

Dammit, I was really hoping that was going to be something along the lines, at least gameplay-wise, of the last one. Whatever it was called. The one with all the action-type gameplay that was fun as hell.

Yeah, Chaos Theory was pretty boring, probably going to have to cancel that, indeed.

Hmm, Dream Trigger comes out in May, at least, right? I already have that reserved, but at least that's only a month or so.

SSS

neo retired
Dammit, I was really hoping that was going to be something along the lines, at least gameplay-wise, of the last one. Whatever it was called. The one with all the action-type gameplay that was fun as hell.

Really? I think it was the worst out of all of them. It was like buying a new car that came with manual windows/locks, no AC, and a tape deck.

All the features that made the others interesting were stripped out reduced or removed. Sam's interaction with the game world was less. Even his movement and the game engine itself seemed less polished.

Completely dissapointing.

Magician

20 Year Member
I'm starting to sink my teeth into SSFIV a bit more this week. As someone who's no longer a hardcore fighter enthusiast I really dig the n00b-friendly "lite" controls. It allows me to enjoy the razzle-dazzle of the 3D effects more because I'm don't need to have all of my attention on the combat at hand. The the character-to-character, personal button and lite control customization is also quite nice, certianly better than a universal control scheme.

Yup, SSFIV:3D is definitely the cream of the launch title crop, very cool.