Anybody jumping on the 3DS??

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Copped a 3DS last night, but didn't use my preorder. It doesn't seem as popular as I thought it might be.

Incredible system though. Really impressed with it. Pilotwings is just ok. Ridge Racer is awesome. Super Monkey Ball is ok, more of the same, really. Got SSFIV and Bust a Move as well. Haven't tried those yet though.

Ajax: 2191 7638 2404

Add me and let's play RR.

Every time I enter your FC I get an error message telling me that it's not valid.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I've had mine on sleep mode for around five hours.

Charge meter still reads as "full".

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The manual (I read it, lulz) says you can leave it in sleep mode for 3 days on a full charge.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Had the 3DS on preorder for half a year before release, but decided to cancel it at the last minute due to the shitty launch lineup. I'll wait for a price drop.

Nickn

Swords, Dragons & Big Breasted Women
Very happy I picked this thing up, I'm really digging SSF4 and Pilotwings. I dont always play with the 3d on, normally if I'm at home and in a chair is the only time.

Went to steak n shake with the wife last night, was using the 3d camera to take some shots of stuff on the table and the ar cards very cool. The straw in my shake looked like it was popping out of the screen into your face. I also made it look like link was gonna attack her ds she was playing lol...

SSF4 is so good, I dont really care about the minor flaws like no animated backgrounds and a little less detail, this game plays DAMN GOOD for a portable copy. By far the best portable fighter I have ever played. I normally turn the 3D off in the option of the game, it will switch it to having 60 FPS.

Spoonman1

Overtop Pathfinder
I got it with SSF4, and I am loving it so far. Controls took me some time to get used to but I think I finallly did, gameplay is great which for me was the deal maker / breaker, graphics look really good too, kina like a cleaner PSP (ie non pixelated textures).

Also, heas up if you are a SSF4 user and don't care much for the 3d effect. If you turn off the 3d from the in game options (not just the slider) you will get the game running at full 60 fps.

EDIT

Didn't notice user above gave the same recommendation earlier, oops.

Magician

20 Year Member
Continuing to get my pedometer-walkon here on day one here at work. Without looking at the statistic menu, just the main menu, 4035 steps...10 coins. Looks as though the Big N doesn't want folks to gank the street pass coin system and have capped earnable coins per day at 10. I'm going to continue to get my walkon regardless.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
i had no idea about that coin thing

i think it's pretty cool

not that i'd ever make use of it since i'd never keep it on my person but it's an interesting concept nonetheless

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, my wife said I could rack up if I put it in her pocket when she runs a 5k or marathon. Damn your limits, Nintendo! Of course, I haven't figured out what the coins are used for yet.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
if they make some kind of armband attachment i'd totally wear it for runs/jump rope sessions

that is if the coins are actually useful for something

Magician

20 Year Member
Yeah, my wife said I could rack up if I put it in her pocket when she runs a 5k or marathon. Damn your limits, Nintendo! Of course, I haven't figured out what the coins are used for yet.

Straight away, the coins are used to unlock pieces for a slide-puzzle meta game within the Street Pass system. Supposedly, the coins can also be used in other retail games outside of Street Pass system to "purchase" unlockable content. But since I don't have any games for the 3DS I can't confirm this. There may be other uses for the coins that I'm unaware of as well.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Coins are also used in the AR card game. Once you open the shop up, that is.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Every time I enter your FC I get an error message telling me that it's not valid.

Ha, mistyped the last digit. Sorry about that.

Ajax: 2191 7638 2402

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Did anyone at all get Madden? I passed on it, initially, since it sounds like it's stripped down to the very minimum barebones, but I admit that I am kind of curious to see how it looks, and I usually only play one-offs in Madden anyway.

I picked mine up yesterday with, lessee...
Pilotwings, Streetfighter, Samurai Warriors, Ridge Racer, Pro Evolution Soccer, Puzzle Bobble, Steel Diver, Rayman 3D, and Ghost Recon. I haven't played everything yet, but of the ones I've had a chance to play, I'd say that Ridge Racer uses 3D the best (and also will make you the sickest if you don't find the optimal viewing angle), Pilotwings is probably the easiest to just sit back and enjoy, and Rayman and Samurai Warriors both benefit nicely from the move to 3D, but without any fundamental change to the gameplay. Puzzle Bobble, in particular, doesn't really get any benefit at all from being on the system, but it's still fun and it's $10 cheaper than the other launch titles.

Fun little system so far, definitely enjoying it.

SSS

neo retired
Really liking this thing. I've got 3D cranked up to the max, and I've played a few hours worth of games. 3D doesn't seem to bother me at all in any game.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Same, 3D doesn't bother me at all. I think my body is ready for it. :cool:

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Only weird bit with the 3D for me is if afterward I go to look at my phone (just a plain flip phone with a black and white display for texts) it looks like the text is floating.

Last edited:

zxtec

Cheng's Errand Boy
Seems cool, but they need to release better games or drop the price on the system.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I think the display's too small. Yeah, I get it. Compact. Portable. Convenient.

I use it to play games, not because it's easy to carry around. I also think the 3D technology would have been better served with a larger display, which is kind of the point of the thing.

Hopefully they'll eventually make one with a real display. I will trade this thing in for the upgrade faster than you can blink.

I agree with the comments about the durability. It feels sturdy and rugged and that is a good thing.

just wait for the 3DSiXL it'll come after the 3DSlite and the 3DSi.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Mia and I went back with the Wii, traded it and the few games we had in.

My friend works there, so I got the promotion they were giving on whatever.

Ended with like $200 in credit, so it softened the blow - she likes it.

Never played the Wii so it was a good choice.

Nickn

The coins can also be used in SSF4 to get extra points to buy more figures. I have been saving mine up though since its easy to earn points just by arcade fights.

I kinda like the cap, it will give me something to do for months unlocking all the ar and puzzle content. Good move Nintendo.

Nickn

Seems cool, but they need to release better games or drop the price on the system.

Why the hell would they drop price just because your too cheap to buy it? Most preordered console ever... Shits out less then a week... Price drop? lol....

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Needs a price drop cuz it still uses friend codes...