Anybody have experience painting a car/bike?

I'm not painting a car, but I'm repainting my old Schwinn Sting-Ray. The thing is, I've never painted metal before. I did make progress on the project, I completely stripped the frame and chain guard, masked everything that needed to be masked, and then managed to apply a good coating of wet-sandable gray primer.

The bicycle frame is actually ready for paint right now, but I'm currently stopped cold in my tracks because I can't find the proper paint in an aerosol can. And to be honest, I'm not sure I can get the right paint for the job in an aerosol can. So, I'm asking for some help and advice to find the right paint.

I don't want to paint the bike unless I find the right color and type of paint. One of the questions I have is what kind of paint do I want? Is it Enamel, or Lacquer? What kind of paint can be wet-sanded between coats? Anyone know of a place online where I could purchase aerosol canned paint?

I don't want to invest in a real paint gun because I'll never use it after this project, so that would be a complete waste of money for me. That's why I want the paint in an aerosol can. But, I do want to do 3 coats, and need something that I can wet-sand in-between coats. I don't think you can do that with Enamel paint, but I could be wrong. I'm looking for a lighter green color, much like the color of the banana seat in the first picture below. I plan on doing some other restorations to this bike, but I first need to paint the thing. I bought a $30 set of original decals to apply before clear coating.

edit* This is a 1968 Schwinn Sting-Ray Mini-Twinn.

Here's the bike before I tore it down:
lowridertandem.jpg

Here's where I stand right now:
schwinn003.jpg

Last edited:

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Google man. Tons of resources online. Here's a quick result from bikeforums.

I can tell you you're not going to get anything too high quality out of a rattle can job, though clear coating, even if it's from a can, makes it look a lot better. If you have the means and want a long lasting professional job done, get it done by a professional.

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
DIY and saving coin is cool, but this is a job for a pro, Moreso if you have never dealt with it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Like subcons said, I would recommend just joining a bicycle forum for the sole purpose of asking for help on this topic (if no one here can fill the job).

darcotrigger

Zero's Tailor
Look in your local phone book for an industrial coatings supplier. Odds are one of them will be able to custom package an aerosol for you in the exact color you'd like.

There are a variety of different products out there that would work for you. Most long oiled / urethane modified coatings will be durable enough as well as having good chemical resistance and U.V. inhibitors.

If all else fails you can probably rent a nice little h.v.l.p. sprayer at most rental outlets.

thanks for all the advice. I can't afford a pro job, I'm poor. Unless it only costs like $100

Making some progress on this project. I did end up having this professionally painted, wasn't too expensive really. It's been painted and I have applied original decals. All the parts are currently getting an acid bath and new chrome. Pretty much everything is getting chrome, cranks, handlebars, even the little nuts and bolts, seat posts/clamps etc... I'll post a pic when its all done, probably be a couple of weeks.

DCP_0003.jpg