Anybody build or sell cabinets for arcade monitors?

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
So I'm thinking of picking up a large arcade monitor (one of the 27" or 29" multiscan ones that accepts VGA directly) for use with a PC running various emulators. However, I don't want a full cab or anything like that. I'd prefer to put the monitor on a TV stand and park my ass in a comfortable chair.

Naturally, I can't have a bare arcade monitor sitting out in the open, so I need to buy or build some type of cabinet for it. Searching has turned up only bezels, not entire standalone monitor cabinets. Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
If you are just going to use VGA and a computer only, why bother with an arcade monitor? Just use an actual PC CRT monitor instead? Though its hard to get one over 22'' I suppose.

Frank_fjs

n00b
I know of a perfect person, unfortunately they are in my home country of Australia so may not be much use to you.

If you're willing to pay for freight, I can ask if he ships internationally. All his stuff is flat packed so it might not be as bad as you think.

He makes flat packed arcade cabs, jukes and does custom work too.

http://www.arcadeworx.com.au/

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
If you are just going to use VGA and a computer only, why bother with an arcade monitor? Just use an actual PC CRT monitor instead? Though its hard to get one over 22'' I suppose.

Resolution issues. Some arcade games have resolution requirements that a standard PC monitor isn't gonna like...such as 640 X 240 or 773 X 384.

Thirdkid - What are you going to play on this monitor? I assume this is not going to be for a test rig.

SSS

neo retired
So I'm thinking of picking up a large arcade monitor (one of the 27" or 29" multiscan ones that accepts VGA directly) for use with a PC running various emulators. However, I don't want a full cab or anything like that. I'd prefer to put the monitor on a TV stand and park my ass in a comfortable chair.

Naturally, I can't have a bare arcade monitor sitting out in the open, so I need to buy or build some type of cabinet for it. Searching has turned up only bezels, not entire standalone monitor cabinets. Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

I saw a bunch of gutted golden tee cabs at the last auction (the mid 2000 model cabs). I believe they come equipped with 27" wells gardners. Might be the cheapest route.

You could always saw one in half and cut a base for the monitor portion.

Last edited:

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
Though its hard to get one over 22'' I suppose.

That's pretty much the deal. I already have a great 21" Hitachi CRT I've been holding on to for years, but it's just too small to sit at any reasonable distance. This is going in my den on a TV stand, and I'd prefer not to have to press my nose to the screen to play.

And, like Neo Ash said, PC monitors don't always like arcade resolutions. Mine won't support a 15kHz scan rate, for example.

I know of a perfect person, unfortunately they are in my home country of Australia so may not be much use to you.

If you're willing to pay for freight, I can ask if he ships internationally. All his stuff is flat packed so it might not be as bad as you think.

He makes flat packed arcade cabs, jukes and does custom work too.

http://www.arcadeworx.com.au/

Thanks, that would be cool if you could ask him. Basically, all I'm looking for is a simple case to hold it so the electronics aren't exposed.

What are you going to play on this monitor? I assume this is not going to be for a test rig.

Pretty much everything. I'm hoping it'll work well for both arcade and console emulation.