Any tips for AoF2 single player?

ShyningFade

Crossed Swords Squire
Well, I recently acquired AoF2 and im having a bit of trouble with it. Then again, i'm having trouble with pretty much every AES game i'm playing, just not as much as I am with this one. (Do the difficulties have ANY difference whatsoever? :spock: )

Even if i'm a hair away from winning, the computer will pull off some sick shit and beat me senseless. It's getting really frustrating, and I won't be able to get in some multiplay for awhile.

Any tips/tricks that I can use to keep me from going insane?

Lee Gray

Better Than Krauser
20 Year Member
it sucks losing time after time against the same opponent, but try try and try again and eventually you will get lucky, thats what i did because its a very cheap game.

when i beat geese it took me about 20 goes before i got lucky as there was no way i was going to switch it off and have to get all the way to him again, once i beat him i never played it again as no fun whatsoever.

neo>all

Super nO0b
Unfortunately to beat a cheap opponent you have to play cheaply. Try and look for patterns for instance on the mongolian fighter i think his name is temjin, jump back but don't attack. temjin will do his ehonda like torpedo move but end up short. Come in and throw him, wash rinse repeat.

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
Like has been said, look for tactics. I'll play through it tomorrow and write down my tactics with Robert. Will work on Easy, Normal & MVS difficulty levels without fail.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
A cheap but very reliable way of beating everyone in AOF2 (besides Mr Big) is to back into the corner and repeatedly jump vertically. Then when you're aproached just stick out flying kicks. The opponents can't handle this and will get punished. This is a boring tactic so I only use it when I get behind and it looks like I'll lose otherwise.

neo>all

Super nO0b
moonwhistle said:
A cheap but very reliable way of beating everyone in AOF2 (besides Mr Big) is to back into the corner and repeatedly jump vertically. Then when you're aproached just stick out flying kicks. The opponents can't handle this and will get punished. This is a boring tactic so I only use it when I get behind and it looks like I'll lose otherwise.

vs. play is probably leagues better i wouldn't know because i could never trick...uh i mean convince anyone to play it with me.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
lots of tips floating around, search for pliskin or songohan and aof2

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Beating the game is simply a matter of finding a cheese repeat pattern to use against each fighter. This game, more than any other fighter I know of, is based around tricking the CPU into doing something.

Right after I joined I found a post that nicely explained how to beat each fighter using Robert. Search doesn't work for me, so odds are I'll never find it again.

neo>all

Super nO0b
Abasuto said:
Beating the game is simply a matter of finding a cheese repeat pattern to use against each fighter. This game, more than any other fighter I know of, is based around tricking the CPU into doing something.

Right after I joined I found a post that nicely explained how to beat each fighter using Robert. Search doesn't work for me, so odds are I'll never find it again.

I really don't find games like that fun, it's more repetitive than anything. Too many knock downs bog play down.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
neo>all said:
I really don't find games like that fun, it's more repetitive than anything. Too many knock downs bog play down.

If you're talking about AOF3, then I agree. However, I find that AOF2 single player mode is most rewarding. When everybody has a pattern, it's fun to find out. Most single player fighting games is random as fuck, so it can be purely luck or way to easy when you win with almost no effort or thinking involved. That's why a lot of people are turned off to AOF2 single player.

ShyningFade

Crossed Swords Squire
That kinda sucks that you've gotta trick the cpu (or other people, for that matter :D ) instead of just being able to play the damn thing. I guess if I approach it as if i'm finding patterns, it'll remind me of playing Super Punch Out and I should be able to have more fun with it.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll take Wes' advice and do a search on that too and see how that works out for me.

neo>all

Super nO0b
Wes said:
If you're talking about AOF3, then I agree. However, I find that AOF2 single player mode is most rewarding. When everybody has a pattern, it's fun to find out. Most single player fighting games is random as fuck, so it can be purely luck or way to easy when you win with almost no effort or thinking involved. That's why a lot of people are turned off to AOF2 single player.

there are smart ai's and there are cheap ai's. Aof2 is the poster child of cheap ai's.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
neo>all said:
there are smart ai's and there are cheap ai's. Aof2 is the poster child of cheap ai's.

This makes NO SENSE.

AOF2's AI goes off of a pattern. If anything, that's the anti-thesis of cheap. It's more akin to playing Super Punch-Out!! Can you imagine if Punch-Out was random? Jesus, I'd shoot myself. You just can't scrub your way through it like most fighters out there. You want a cheap AI, look no further than Super Turbo. No charge needed for the CPU and it goes by your input commands, so if you put in the qcf+p for a fireball, the instant second the input is recognized (before any animation comes out) they'll jump and combo your ass. Ever try to poke Dee Jay? Bad move, he'll always out poke you with any higher priority normal because he knows exactly what you input to beat it.

AOF2 has one of the few AIs that I like. It actually makes you think.

EDIT - haha, I didn't even read Fade's post, but at least he knows what I'm talking about regarding the punchout analogy.

neo>all

Super nO0b
Wes said:
This makes NO SENSE.

AOF2's AI goes off of a pattern. If anything, that's the anti-thesis of cheap. It's more akin to playing Super Punch-Out!! Can you imagine if Punch-Out was random? Jesus, I'd shoot myself. You just can't scrub your way through it like most fighters out there. You want a cheap AI, look no further than Super Turbo. No charge needed for the CPU and it goes by your input commands, so if you put in the qcf+p for a fireball, the instant second the input is recognized (before any animation comes out) they'll jump and combo your ass. Ever try to poke Dee Jay? Bad move, he'll always out poke you with any higher priority normal because he knows exactly what you input to beat it.

AOF2 has one of the few AIs that I like. It actually makes you think.

EDIT - haha, I didn't even read Fade's post, but at least he knows what I'm talking about regarding the punchout analogy.

:rolleyes: Yeah i see your point but fighting games shouldn't be about patterns and memorizing them. The problem is aof2's ai is extremely easy if you know how to beat but you're going to have a boring time doing it.

for instance would you find a human opponent fun if he relied on patterns? Ai's are supposed to simulate a human player and a good human player isn't set up on patterns.

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
neo>all said:
:rolleyes: Yeah i see your point but fighting games shouldn't be about patterns and memorizing them. The problem is aof2's ai is extremely easy if you know how to beat but you're going to have a boring time doing it.

Fighting games is all about 2p competition, everybody knows this. However, figuring out patterns is fun as well. I know everybody's pattern in Super Punchout, so I literally fly through the game. It's not like I play the game a lot or anything, but when I do I zoom through it and have fun doing it. It's the same with AOF2.

When I go back and play games like SFTurbo, the AI is ridiculously stupid. It's like a training session with a semi-moving character. I just practice combos, crossups, and whatever. Then you get AIs like Super Turbo that's just fucking insane that there's no point in playing. There's really no middle ground. I mean, what can fighting AIs give you other than a pattern? They aren't going to punish on reaction (read: not input commands, rather animation moving on a screen), they aren't going to fall for mind games like tick-throws, so give us a pattern to figure out that's challenging, yet rewarding.

Oh yeah :rolleyes:

Last edited:

neo>all

Super nO0b
Wes said:
Fighting games is all about 2p competition, everybody knows this. However, figuring out patterns is fun as well. I know everybody's pattern in Super Punchout, so I literally fly through the game. It's not like I play the game a lot or anything, but when I do I zoom through it and have fun doing it. It's the same with AOF2.

When I go back and play games like SFTurbo, the AI is ridiculously stupid. It's like a training session with a semi-moving character. I just practice combos, crossups, and whatever. Then you get AIs like Super Turbo that's just fucking insane that there's no point in playing. There's really no middle ground. I mean, what can fighting AIs give you other than a pattern? They aren't going to punish on reaction (read: not input commands, rather animation moving on a screen), they aren't going to fall for mind games like tick-throws, so give us a pattern to figure out that's challenging, yet rewarding.

Oh yeah :rolleyes:

I understand that fighting games are no fun if they're practically impossible but ssf2turbo is far from that. Maybe you just need to play it more. :rolleyes:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
neo>all said:
I understand that fighting games are no fun if they're practically impossible but ssf2turbo is far from that. Maybe you just need to play it more. :rolleyes:

LMFAO

Yes, I'm obviously inexperienced in this game.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I love the way you edit your posts minutes later with inane shit because you feel you had a comedic epiphany 2 minutes too late.

neo>all

Super nO0b
Wes said:
I love the way you edit your posts minutes later with inane shit because you feel you had a comedic epiphany 2 minutes too late.

Really, i hate that about you.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Wes: Knows what he's talking about.

neo>all: Here to fill the idiocy quota