Any old cartoon fans in here? Where to buy them?

V3rtigo

Mr. Big's Thug
I know that the Looney Tunes Collections are out, but they're missing tons of episodes and will never release some of the questionable ones. I used to buy stuff that wasn't available publicly on ioffer, but it seems they've cleaned stuff up. So, other than torrents and burning discs myself (I'm lazy), where can you get them? Has anyone seen complete sets of Tom&Jerry, Merrie Melodies, Looney Tunes, etc. in person anywhere?

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Has anyone seen complete sets of Tom&Jerry, Merrie Melodies, Looney Tunes, etc. in person anywhere?

Nope, but if you do find a good Looney Tunes set, let me know.

I don't think there is though, Ted Turner bought the distribution rights and has Speedy Gonzales and Yosemite Sam locked in a vault. :crying:

He doesn't air any episode containing guns or racial overtones.

FrankZappa

Crossed Swords Squire
They are probably only available as boots. Ioffer.com is a good place if you are too lazy to torrent

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
I just grab the 99 cent DVD's at walmart. I saw the Orson Wells collection of Bugs Bunny's on streaming Netflix and that was great.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Nope, but if you do find a good Looney Tunes set, let me know.

I don't think there is though, Ted Turner bought the distribution rights and has Speedy Gonzales and Yosemite Sam locked in a vault. :crying:

He doesn't air any episode containing guns or racial overtones.

I can't wait till that idiot dies so all the dumb shit he's done can be put back the way it was supposed to be.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Most people would have been satisfied with having colorized Casablanca. They'd figure that was enough damage to foist on the world without feeling the need to fuck cartoons up as well.

V3rtigo

Mr. Big's Thug
They are probably only available as boots. Ioffer.com is a good place if you are too lazy to torrent

that's expected considering how scared everyone is of damaging children with old cartoons. ioffer seems to be rather boot free, as in nothing available (other than the censored stuff that has already been released).

I'm not into Looney Tunes (although I like them), but I've bought all the Superfriends dvd sets that have been released, and I watch them routinely:

-Challenge of the Superfriends
-Superfriends Vol 2 (episodes with The Wonder Twins)
-The All New Superfriends Hour volumes 1 & 2
-The Legendary Superpowers Show
-Superfriends: The Lost Episodes (awesome)
-Galactic Guardians: The Superpowers Team
-Superfriends (the original 1st season with Wendy & Marvin & Superdog)

I recommend all of them except Superfriends season 1.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Weird that a cartoon topic popped up. Yesterday I added some cartoons to my ipod. Car of tomorrow, Home of tomorrow, Farm of tomorrow and TV of tomorrow. All Tex Avery stuff.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
I got way into Golden Age cartoons this past spring...here's the basic stuff that I remember:

*The Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collections 1-3 are only missing two shorts (Mouse Cleaning and Casanova Cat), plust His Mouse Friday is edited to zoom away from the small cannibal at the end (minor edit compared to other HMF censorship). Every other episode is uncut BUTBUTBUT some were cut on the original pressings of 1 and 2...you just have to pop them in and check. If they are the censored versions Warner is still offering a disc replacement program for both volumes (that's how I got my V2 fixed). To get the other episodes uncut, check out the Chinese versions on www.hkflix.com ...I can't remember which volumes they're on but there are complete short listings for each volume.

*Looney Tunes Golden Collections are pretty much the best you can do. Some shorts have lapsed into public domain and you can find them on those ghetto $1 DVDs (that's how I found my favorite Bugs episode, Fresh Hare). I know there are laserdisc collections available too but I don't know what's on them (and they're hella expensive).

*For all of the Tex Avery stuff you're set if you have a laserdisc player...there's a Compleat Tex Avery set that has all of his MGM stuff uncut. There is a Compleat DVD set in France but the shorts are edited. Other than the Droopy set that got released a few years ago the only other MGM Avery short is Bltiz Wolf, which is on the Warner Bros Acadamy Award collection (includes other DVD exclusives too). On that Droopy set, it is complete and uncut but some of the episodes are DVNR'd all to hell and it's highly noticable.

*The Popeye sets are awesome. IIRC a couple of the title screens in the first volume had to be remade from scratch but it's not noticable at all. I hope they finish up the collection soon :(

*The Woody Woodpecker sets are great

*There are two new Looney Tunes DVDs coming from Warner in August (one for Bugs and one for Daffy); they're basically single discs of what would have been the 7th Golden Collection but minus any special features.

I hope this helps! :D You can also head over to the forums at http://www.goldenagecartoons.com/ ...they know their shit and have industry insiders post there all the time.

Last edited:

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
I would think the only way to get them all is to find torrents, but is there a complete Looney Tunes episode/animated short list? Like on IMDB or something? It seems like it would get a little difficult to keep track of all the shorts and know you have them all. Please let me know how you're going to go about this, as I too would LOVE to have the entire collection myself.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
A lot of the older stuff can be found in collections on laserdisc still. I picked up the complete tex avery a while back and it's great.

thesale005.jpg

5 Discs of awsome stuff you don't see on tv any more. My favorite is the little billy goat that eats everything.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Whoa, I didn't know he locked up Yosemite Sam too! Wow! D:

And most of Elmer Fudd too... basically any cartoon that features guns. Which means most of the good Bugs Bunny episodes involving Sam and Elmer are gone too.

Kinda takes the fun out of everything when you realize just how many episodes must not be played because Looney Tunes cartoons had a LOT of fucking guns in them.

And Speedy Gonzales & Slowpoke Rodriguez were my favorite characters. Sure there were some stereotypes portrayed in both characters, but Speedy was like a super hero. Slowpoke was just damn funny with his super retard strength.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
The Looney Tunes golden collection has Speedy in it :D

edit: Specifically Vol. 4, it has a disk of JUST speedy on it.

V3rtigo

Mr. Big's Thug
I got way into Golden Age cartoons this past spring...here's the basic stuff that I remember:

*The Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collections 1-3 are only missing two shorts (Mouse Cleaning and Casanova Cat), plust His Mouse Friday is edited to zoom away from the small cannibal at the end (minor edit compared to other HMF censorship). Every other episode is uncut BUTBUTBUT some were cut on the original pressings of 1 and 2...you just have to pop them in and check. If they are the censored versions Warner is still offering a disc replacement program for both volumes (that's how I got my V2 fixed). To get the other episodes uncut, check out the Chinese versions on www.hkflix.com ...I can't remember which volumes they're on but there are complete short listings for each volume.

*For all of the Tex Avery stuff you're set if you have a laserdisc player...there's a Compleat Tex Avery set that has all of his MGM stuff uncut. There is a Compleat DVD set in France but the shorts are edited. Other than the Droopy set that got released a few years ago the only other MGM Avery short is Bltiz Wolf, which is on the Warner Bros Acadamy Award collection (includes other DVD exclusives too). On that Droopy set, it is complete and uncut but some of the episodes are DVNR'd all to hell and it's highly noticable.

*The Popeye sets are awesome. IIRC a couple of the title screens in the first volume had to be remade from scratch but it's not noticable at all. I hope they finish up the collection soon :(

I have a complete Popeye and complete Tex Avery (for my favorite short: One Cab Family - the one where the Taxi has a baby car, but he wants to be a racecar instead of a cab like his dad). Good to know about Tom & Jerry.

V3rtigo

Mr. Big's Thug
I would think the only way to get them all is to find torrents, but is there a complete Looney Tunes episode/animated short list? Like on IMDB or something? It seems like it would get a little difficult to keep track of all the shorts and know you have them all. Please let me know how you're going to go about this, as I too would LOVE to have the entire collection myself.

Exact numbers don't really even exist. There's some episodes that were created and never released, some that mightve been destroyed, etc. A rough estimate is 1000 +- 50. This includes all Merrie Melodies and Looney Tunes from 1929-69. I'm not necessarily looking to get them all, but I know that there are some that will never be released like the racist war cartoons.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
I'm not necessarily looking to get them all, but I know that there are some that will never be released like the racist war cartoons.

Hey, Disney released a bunch of the Nazi Donald Duck ones already and IIRC there was a recent theatrical showing of the Censored Eleven at a film festival so you never know...

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Is there a collection of Chuck Jones' work? My fave, Roadrunner & Wile E Coyote, was notable for containing no voices.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I understand not playing the offensive cartoons on TV anymore, but to seemingly erase them from history by not rereleasing them is like erasing a part of media history. I think there is a relevance to those old shows. They are extremely offensive, but I find it interesting how censorship began to dominate those cartoons

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
I know that the Looney Tunes Collections are out, but they're missing tons of episodes and will never release some of the questionable ones. I used to buy stuff that wasn't available publicly on ioffer, but it seems they've cleaned stuff up. So, other than torrents and burning discs myself (I'm lazy), where can you get them? Has anyone seen complete sets of Tom&Jerry, Merrie Melodies, Looney Tunes, etc. in person anywhere?

I would check comic and anime conventions when they are in your town. They are always vendors there selling DVD boots of this kind of stuff now that the Dragon Ball Z, Jackie Chan, Sentai, and anime flavor of the month fad of the 90's died out. Most of the vendors now sale old westerns, 70's tv shows, and old cartoons from the era that you are looking for.