Any ideas how to remove a label on an MVS cart?

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
My Garou has a replacement label, but I noticed the corner was up recently and it looks like the original (probably Japanese) label is underneath.

Does anyone know a good way to remove the top label without damaging the original? I'm guessing not, but thought it was worth asking as I'd prefer it in its original state.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
My Garou has a replacement label, but I noticed the corner was up recently and it looks like the original (probably Japanese) label is underneath.

Does anyone know a good way to remove the top label without damaging the original? I'm guessing not, but thought it was worth asking as I'd prefer it in its original state.

I use lighter fluid to dissolve the adhesive... this will prob dissolve the adsive on the Jap label as well.. if you're VERY careful... you will be able to remove the upper one... and GENTLY get rid of the rest of the sticker on top from the original label... (gently applying lighter fluid...)

THEN remove the bottom label... VERY carefully... dry and stick back on with an adhesive,...

xROTx

PS I suggest you stick something at the ends of the label to hold the wet label you are drying down... as they tend to curl up...

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Another way to do it is to apply heat like using a hair dryer.

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
Was going to say what Rot said. Lighter fluid, dry, re-apply.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I'd go with heat and a very very slow and careful millimeter by millimeter slow pull of the top from the bottom. Depending how far gone or crispy the top label glue is you may have some pretty good luck with it dry, and if not the heat my soften it just enough. When I got my MVS last year Aerofighters 2 was in the lot but I noticed a double layer sticker that started to pop up too. I began to slowly pull away from it as I said, found the glue was mostly dried out. I went very slowly over awhile and got it up without shredding the original Japanese label. There's a couple very little spots where a tiny bit of the blank ink on the symbols is slightly faded as the glue ate into it, but it never ripped.

Now it matches my sequel, Sonic Wings 2 and 3.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Any luck with this yet Matt? Interested in how you fare(d).

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Any luck with this yet Matt? Interested in how you fare(d).

I completely forgot to come back here and check for responses to be honest.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I will give the hot air a try tonight, as it sounds the simplest method, and then the lighter fluid if I have no luck with that. I will report back with how it goes.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Update. The hairdryer technique worked great. It took about a minute and the only rip was because I was a bit hasty to start. Some of the damage looks to have already been there as nothing came away on those parts.

Much happier with this than the replacement label. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I like it, and it appears you're right I don't think the cover up label did any real removal of sticker maybe a spot or two of ink removal like on the MA symbol there which is about the worst my Sonic Wings 2 cart got pulling mine off if that.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
You definitely mad the right call removing that.