Any Apple Techs here?

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
.... and back from the Apple Store(again). this time they confirmed that the logic board does need to be replaced. weee!

Sucks they couldn't have told you that the first time. Genius Bar 4 lyfe!

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
im pretty sure you can use the expanded ram version as long as the logic board is made for your exact processor.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
im pretty sure you can use the expanded ram version as long as the logic board is made for your exact processor.

well, the cpu is integrated into the logic board(so is the ram). and both are i5 1.6ghz and physically appear identical.

next time i think i'll stick to a macbook pro. no more of this air b.s.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
well, the cpu is integrated into the logic board(so is the ram). and both are i5 1.6ghz and physically appear identical.

next time i think i'll stick to a macbook pro. no more of this air b.s.

thats what i meant. but get a logic board made for what the machine was specifically built. I dont know what will happen if you put in a logic board onto a mobo made for a slightly different clock speed even if it is for the same class of processor.

as far as mbp goes- that was my big problem with my last one- logic board failure (more than once). fwiw- that was the only lemon mac i ever had. after a few applecare repairs (over the 3 years i had the machine) they took my core2duo machine and upgraded me to a brand new top of the line i7 one free of charge. The one thing they have always done well was take care of the customers.

Last edited:

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
just thought i'd give you guys closure on this..

i did order the a1370 i5 1.6ghz 4gb logic board to replace the 2gb version. got it today, installed it and it's working just fine. only issue now is the 120gb ssd i got from newegg is bad(the original 64gb works!).. so going to get the 120 exchanged for now(will consider a bigger size/better quality ssd in the future)

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

i did order the a1370 i5 1.6ghz 4gb logic board to replace the 2gb version. got it today, installed it and it's working just fine. only issue now is the 120gb ssd i got from newegg is bad(the original 64gb works!).. so going to get the 120 exchanged for now(will consider a bigger size/better quality ssd in the future)

Sweet, man. Glad to hear you got it up and running.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager

Nicely done!

If you don't mind my asking, what's been your total outlay on this so far?

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
sorry to bump an old thread.... but I'm on to another Macbook adventure :spock:

I got rid of the Air(felt the screen was a bit too small and didn't like how small the hard drive was).

I recently acquired a Macbook Pro 13" Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz (Mid 2010) - A1278. These A1278's were available as Core 2 Duo, i5 & i7. I notice that the logic boards for each model seem to be nearly identical.
That being the case, could I get an i5 or i7 logic board and swap it out on this system? I tried "googling" it but didn't really find a good answer.