Any 10 pin bowlers here?

arbormatt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
I phrased it as such because we are international and if I said League bowlers that might have caused confusion. I have a USBC Masters tournament coming up Saturday and can't wait.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I did beer leagues for a long time. At best I had an average around 180, but I no longer bowl. I travel too much for work, and I hate being a sub.

Last edited:

arbormatt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
I'm around 210 right now but in city and state tournaments I usually average 230-240. I'm hoping to make some cash.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
This is how you know you're getting old. You see topics about league bowling on your favorite forum on earth.

edit - real life league bowling, not the SNK classic.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Fair enough.

neo_geo_league_bowling_screen_1.png

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I usee to do bowling for school sport. Highlight of the afternoon was sneaking back into the bowling ally after we finished and playing Metal slug and a few other games tgey had running.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
I used to chat on msn with this girl from highschool and wed always play a bowling game on msn games.
So we decided to go on a bowling date.
It was my first time bowling in real life, I was terrible.

The shit haunted me years later when I went on a bowling date in GTA4 and fucked up there too.

I tried practicing, but I am terrible.
My highest score was 146.

Sadly the Bowling alleys closed around here so I can practice anymore.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yeah, that's a good point. Not that many well put together bowling alleys anymore. Most small town alleys have closed down. We have a few city bowling alleys, but they are mostly a joke. They have about 4 lanes, and it's mostly just a gimmick for city folk.

Luckily, I live in the Midwest which is not that progressive.

There's a couple good ones that still stock some nice pinball and arcade machines. They also have some incredible fried food. The good ol kinda bowling alley.

arbormatt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
I live in a small town and we went from 3 alleys to 1. The alley in town is mostly just used for the poker room and bar they built.

arbormatt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
This is how you know you're getting old. You see topics about league bowling on your favorite forum on earth.

edit - real life league bowling, not the SNK classic.

Haha. That is why I put 10 pin. I knew league bowling on this forum would get that result. Still a great arcade game though. I'm thinking about picking up a Simpsons arcade bowling rig close to me. I have not played it before, but it looks fun.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
I probably average like 155, I can't hook for shit.

I've bowled candlepin since I could walk though: Candlepin-bowling-usa-lane25-rs.jpg

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
The pins are like that.. don't know why. Someone just decided to make them that way. Candlepin was codified before tenpin was. The major difference between the games is that you throw three balls per frame. Fallen pins are not cleared after each shot and are legal to hit. Scoring is exactly the same. People play it in the Maritimes and New England. There are some other prominent forms of bowling, duckpins (played on the east coast of the US and Quebec), fivepins (in Canada) and ninepins (mostly Germany and other parts of Europe).

Last edited:

arbormatt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Candle pin seems neat. I have only done duckpin bowling in Indianapolis. We only did it once but I was proud as fuck when I had two strikes in a row. It is almost like skee ball. Had my tournament today and only shot an 800 for four games. 210,190,167,233. I won't be moving on to the next round. Oh well. I had fun.It was a modified house shot that went 42' long and we changed lanes after each game. Pretty tough today.

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
Took a bowling class in college. It was really the only time I ever bowled on a consistent basis. I enjoyed the experience but after that class I just never went bowling again.

I’ll probably try it out again once I get a little more free time in the future.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Took a bowling class in college. It was really the only time I ever bowled on a consistent basis. I enjoyed the experience but after that class I just never went bowling again.

I’ll probably try it out again once I get a little more free time in the future.
Join a fun league. My local AMF does one for Monday Night Football with pizza, drinks, and an NFL ticket included, and it's cheap as hell. Ask around. Good way to meet some folks, if you're into that.

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
I was really heavy with the bowling scene as a kid, and got out of it. Then a buddy of mine got me going almost every Friday at a great bowling alley and we kept it consistent. Unfortunately, it closed down due to a rent issue (it was next to Weis Markets).

Once in a blue moon, I would go bowling, but other than that I haven't bowled consistently in a long time.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Before my foot injury I used to average 235, after the injury I'm lucky if I can get 150. I used to love bowling so much.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I used to bowl in a league through college. I usually bowled around 200 I don't remember what my average was. I miss it. I'm still looking for that 300. My best game was 277.

edit:

I don't bowl properly either. My thumb gets caught in the hole a lot so i only put my thumb in up to the joint but not past. I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong that's causing it to stick. I've had it drilled specifically to fix this problem and it still happens. I can still get a good hook even with this grip though.

Last edited:

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
Join a fun league. My local AMF does one for Monday Night Football with pizza, drinks, and an NFL ticket included, and it's cheap as hell. Ask around. Good way to meet some folks, if you're into that.

Yeah, I’ll probably do some research and ask around to see what’s out there. I’m hoping to try it out sometime next year.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
My thumb gets caught in the hole a lot so i only put my thumb in up to the joint but not past. I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong that's causing it to stick. I've had it drilled specifically to fix this problem and it still happens. I can still get a good hook even with this grip though.

You probably need the thumb ovaled a bit. I have the same problem, mine is too wide and I also grip too hard with my thumb. Though you don't have to bowl full-thumb to bowl correctly, since it's the first thing to come out of the ball anyways. There are even no-thumb/two-handed bowlers that do well. Just find something that's comfortable that you can repeat over and over without injury and stick with it.

arbormatt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Before my foot injury I used to average 235, after the injury I'm lucky if I can get 150. I used to love bowling so much.

Not to be a dick but I have a hard time believing you had a league average of 235. If we are just talking about open bowling, that's a different story. I usually shoot around 250 just fucking around with friends and drinking beer. Our house shot for league is pretty tough though.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Not to be a dick but I have a hard time believing you had a league average of 235. If we are just talking about open bowling, that's a different story. I usually shoot around 250 just fucking around with friends and drinking beer. Our house shot for league is pretty tough though.

I never said I was in a league. That's open bowling. But that was my average, not an average of 3 good games, it was my actual average. Fucking around is never consistent.