another George Romero remake

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I think I've seen it once on cable. Was that the one with bubba? I don't think it'll be very good.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I liked somewhere between 45-130 seconds of the Dawn remake. I was indifferent to about an hour of it, and hated the rest. I'll watch this when it hits DVD.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
It could be watchable. I know a lot of Romero purists that hated the Dawn remake, but I thought it was entertaining. I wouldn't place it above the original in terms of quality, as they're quite different and seperated by different budgets and years of movie making progress, but it wasn't bad.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
I thought they already did a low budget remake of this?

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I loved the Dawn remake, so I'll give this a try. However, I really didn't like the Land remake so I'm a bit skeptical.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
GregN. said:
Was that the one with bubba?

Yeah, but it was Bub.

Kind of old news about this though.

They're also doing a remake of The Crazies as well.

Don't really know how I feel about this, since Day of the Dead is one of my favorite zombie movies of all time.

I've enjoyed the remakes of Night and Dawn for what they were, but never really considered them to be on a comparable level with the originals (not big on the idea of remakes as it is to begin with.)

I'll keep an open mind though.

But if a Rhodes-like asshole doesn't get torn apart by zombies and screams "Choke on 'em!" while they're feasting on his intestines I'll be majorly pissed.

fatal fury fan #2

Duck King's DJ
Average Joe said:
But if a Rhodes-like asshole doesn't get torn apart by zombies and screams "Choke on 'em!" while they're feasting on his intestines I'll be majorly pissed.

it better be the same or better! that has to be the best part of day of the dead :buttrock:

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Wes said:
I loved the Dawn remake, so I'll give this a try. However, I really didn't like the Land remake so I'm a bit skeptical.

Whart? Dont you mean sequal?

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Average Joe said:
Don't really know how I feel about this, since Day of the Dead is one of my favorite zombie movies of all time.

Seconded.

The remake will be shit, and is totally unnecessary.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
I actually like the Dawn remake now more than I did when I first saw it. Its still light years behind the original of course, but its a solid zombie movie on its own.

A remake of Day COULD turn out excellent, but it probably won't. Especially since they'll either cut Bub alltogether, or make his whole "story" worse (i.e.- Make him even smarter, like some goddamned undead comic relief).

Dawn > Day > Night > Night remake > Dawn remake > Land

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
the dawn remake was awesome, and AFAIK the same people behind it are doing the day remake. so it should be solid.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
I dunno, I thought in terms of pacing, directing, acting... just about everything, the remake of Dawn of the Dead improved on the original. I enjoyed the original, but I enjoyed the remake much more. In fact, it's probably my fav zombie movie of all time.

It's been awhile, but IIRC the opening of the original was kinda clunky. I remember not being able to make out the dialogue very well, and the speech from the black minister was mostly incomprehensible. The opening of the remake did a much better job of setting the scene and showing the outbreak of chaos in a much shorter time.

I was really disappointed with Land of the Dead. I never really liked the "intelligent zombie" idea, I think it kinda defeats the purpose of a zombie movie. I think the series really jumped the shark with this one.

My ranking would look more like this:

Dawn Remake > Return of the Living Dead > Dawn of the Dead > Night of the Living Dead > 28 Days Later

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
jp. said:
Zombies cannot run.

Fuck these remakes.

Exactly...

Why not Just remake "Night of the Living Dead" in the same manner?

Then it probably would be just another Zombie movie and not a personal essay about the cold war.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
norton9478 said:
Exactly...

Why not Just remake "Night of the Living Dead" in the same manner?

Then it probably would be just another Zombie movie and not a personal essay about the cold war.

They did remake Night of the Living Dead, in 1990.

jp.

Angel's Love Slave
Indeed.

Running zombies ruin the flicks.

One person can easily kill one zombie. Hell, a "normal" person theoretically could easily kill 10-20 zombies alone. But it is the slow, creeping, inevitable death that makes zombie flicks so damn good. Not "OMG THERE'S A ZOMBIE BEHIND J00 RUN BITCH RUN OH SHIT ITS RUNNING TOO OH SHIT A ZOMBIE JUST DID A SOMERSAULT OUT THE FUCKING WINDOW ONTO A TRAPEZE AND IS NOW RUNNING AFTER YOU ON ITS HANDS!!!!"

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
StickmanLoser said:
They did remake Night of the Living Dead, in 1990.

With Running Zombies? That was the point.

PS. it was for TV or straight to video right?

TV movies don't count.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
jp. said:
Indeed.

Running zombies ruin the flicks.

One person can easily kill one zombie. Hell, a "normal" person theoretically could easily kill 10-20 zombies alone. But it is the slow, creeping, inevitable death that makes zombie flicks so damn good. Not "OMG THERE'S A ZOMBIE BEHIND J00 RUN BITCH RUN OH SHIT ITS RUNNING TOO OH SHIT A ZOMBIE JUST DID A SOMERSAULT OUT THE FUCKING WINDOW ONTO A TRAPEZE AND IS NOW RUNNING AFTER YOU ON ITS HANDS!!!!"

Zombie Doggs should be able to run fast tho... Cuz that was cool.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
tsukaesugi said:
I was really disappointed with Land of the Dead. I never really liked the "intelligent zombie" idea, I think it kinda defeats the purpose of a zombie movie. I think the series really jumped the shark with this one.

My ranking would look more like this:

Dawn Remake > Return of the Living Dead > Dawn of the Dead > Night of the Living Dead > 28 Days Later
Well, I agree with the '28 Days Later being last' part.

Part of what I thought defeated the purpose of a zombie movie is the Dawn remake's director going out of his way to explain that you only turn into a zombie if bitten by a zombie...which as far as the Romero universe goes, is fucking bullshit. "The recently deceased are returning to life." All of them. And the cause is unknown. That's the whole point. It's not some virus that's transmitted. There's no way to fight it, because no one knows why it's happening. If you die, you become a zombie -- that's the horror of it.

And running zombies are also bullshit. These are dead bodies that are deteriorating. Their bodies aren't processing anything. Muscles breaking down; fluids drying up. How the hell can they be faster and stronger than normal people? That little girl zombie in the beginning jumping up like Spider-Man? Ugh. And that's not scarier. What makes zombies scary is the inevitability. You can run circles around them and you can out-muscle them...but EVENTUALLY...you are going to find yourself surrounded in a situation you can't get out of. Therein lies the horror. If anything, them being fast makes them less scary, imo.

Geez, jp beat me to it while I was typing my essay.

@norton: no, the Night remake was an actual in-theaters movie.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
@norton: no, the Night remake was an actual in-theaters movie.

Ohh SNAP!!!

But from what I heard about it, I'd prefer Night of the Living Bread