Android and Linux Handhelds - Shield, GCW Zero, GP2X, Pandora, Pyra, JXD, etc.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
I search shmup games from Switch, but landscape mode only likes Jameston+

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I search shmup games from Switch, but landscape mode only likes Jameston+

I put mine on a dock and play with a joystick on big screen for the vert stuff. But it's honestly fine all the small screen.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
I have find one crazy archive with more than 300+ shmup Switch games :LOL:

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I got a Abernic RG35XX (2024) free for review, style and color similar to the OG Gameboy.

Preliminary review:
The biggest takeaway I'd say is that the processors in these newer handhelds are very capable nowadays. I believe it's a 1.5 GHz quad core with 1gb of ram. Doesn't sound that impressive but it's almost overkill for this setup. Seems to handle newer stuff pretty decent: Atomiswave, Naomi, PSP, PS1, N64 / most anything arcade and all with little to no tweaking of the menu options. (so far)
But...it just has a single digital controller so really it doesn't live up to its full potential.

Many newer games require an analog stick, some but not all can attempt to use a digital dpad instead (results may vary) and even further some need two analog sticks to play properly. At least the system has plenty of buttons to try and work something out with.
In short I could not recommend this to most people if it was to be their only handheld system with the other models currently available. I'd suggest to most people getting a horizontal model made by the same company for a few bucks more, they have one or two analog sticks built in.
I would recommend it to people who don't want to tinker around with it or play with the settings much. Kids, teens, young adults (would make a great gift). People who want a true drop in your pocket handheld. (Analog sticks break or can get ruined easily) It is overall a good value, you could easily do worse. Anything much less expensive will be severely under powered and more customizable modular/DIY systems are several times more expensive.

The screen is gorgeous.. one of the best I've seen.. very sharp with vibrant colors.

Some games the aspect ratio seems to be ever so slightly off. (can be tweaked in other OS's I'm sure)
Would be nice if the sound was a bit louder on the built in speaker (I'm going deaf though) seems to be missing some range. For example, I have a hard time hearing some speech. I tried the standard 3.5mm headphone jack with a few sets of headphones and it seems underpowered., at least with the stock OS.
Comes stock with its own custom GUI and Retroarch mostly set up already for this system.
A +/pro would be its set up plug and play already, no need to spend days tinkering with it.The stock system seems good enough for 90% of the general population, just add some more of your favorite games.
If you like tinkering though I've read and have seen that these systems are compatible with Garlic OS (may still be in beta for this console), EmulationStation and Batocera.

Ad claims it supports wired and wireless controllers.
I plugged a USB C hub and a Buffalo brand SNES controller into it and it worked plug and play through RetroArch but not the systems stock front end. It has a mini HDMI out video port so you could attach it to a monitor and play multiplayer games that way. Unfortunately games in the stock frontend are stretched to full screen. Still playing with retroarch to try and fix it but I promise with custom firmware it’s adjustable. I Wish most stuff just used the standard HDMI port.
I watched a very detailed online review for this and the person had several wireless WIFI/Bluetooth dongles and couldn't get them to work.Seemed like a knowledgeable and intelligent person so not saying it's impossible but it would be unfeasible or impractical.
I can't find options for bluetooth or wifi anywhere in the stock system either and would imagine you'd want to play it on a stand with it situated fairly close to your face. The USB port is on the bottom further adding to the difficulty of doing that.

Reviewer also pointed out there’s an older Plus model that has built in WIFI/Bluetooth with the same specs that may actually be cheaper if still available.
Another +/Pro TATE MODE -has a list of vertical games built in and are set up to use the controls as is. Hold with both hands, use your left hands thumb for the dpad and index through pinky on the right hand for the buttons on the back. Fairly playable and intuitive and you should be able to get used to it somewhat quickly.
In reality this isn’t a newer system and there’s not really anything better about it.

Seems to just be something the manufacturer threw together with it’s left over parts.