ancestors

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
My moms family is a bit of a dark path. My mom is from Cuba. Her mother from Jamaica. Her father was from Spain. On her moms side they're from west Africa, sub Saharan. On her dads side they're Spanish, pretty much as far as can be recalled. The genetics of my moms side of the family represent this. She was almost 50/50 African and European. Not much to report there. And no family tree work done, because there weren't records kept of African slaves. And her father just disappeared when she was a little kid. Not much info on his family.

My dads was a little more interesting. Irish, Jewish, and Nordic. But with our last name of Collins my aunt traced us back to a Stacy Collins who came to New Orleans from cork Ireland in the early 1800s. He had a few sons. Some went to Texas, what was then Mexico as Catholic settlers some went to Mississippi. Of his descendents there was a strong anti slavery, pro Union stance. And the Mississippi side were part of the now famous jones county loyalists. While the others in what was then the state of Texas were part of what was called the big thicket jay-hawkers. Who roamed east Texas woods and worked to sabotage confederate units. So on my fathers side of the family we are some of the oldest Texan families. Part of the original Catholics only settlers that Mexico wanted. And the Mississippi side my great great great (don't know how many greats) grandfather is a Simeon Collins, second lieutenant to Newt Knight, and his brother was Jasper Collins. Another member of that little resistance.

So although my father is a deadbeat. His family tree is interesting. While my moms is and likely will remain a mystery.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Myself, and a few others in my family have done genealogy on my grandfathers side. My uncle is huge into it. I remember going to the library with him in the 80's while he went through old newspapers.

My grandfathers side is the Forresters from Scotland, and our family crest is my avatar. From reading the Forrester official website our family got our name because we use to protect the forests in Scotland around our castle, Torwood, which is still standing today (kind of)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torwood_Castle

On our side here in the USA we have General Nathan Bedford Forrest, from the Civil War.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Bedford_Forrest

I actually received a message from a Forrester in Scotland last year asking me to get a DNA test done, as I am the only one on this side of the Forrester clan without one. I'm gonna do that when I have a few extra $$

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Traced back to the Revolutionary war. Had a great....great.......great.......grandfather that was a Civil War General. Lots of English and Welsh in the family tree. I need to revisit all this.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
I did some research and found out that I am distantly related to everyone in this thread. I also found out that everyone is this thread is also distantly related to each other.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I did some research and found out that I am distantly related to everyone in this thread. I also found out that everyone is this thread is also distantly related to each other.

We'll all be sure to be in each others wills so that, like a lottery, one of us ends up rich and probably dead shortly thereafter.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
I had an ancestor on my father's side who killed Pancho Villa because he was a peice of shit.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
My father's side has been traced to the 1400s to the town of Posen in Prussia (Now Poznan in Poland) they came to Finland via Sweden in the 1700s, originally glassblowers they quickly diversified into the import-export business and medicine. My great-grandfather was one of the key players in organizing the White counterrevolution in Helsinki, and he was even on the Reds' hit list to be shot on sight and had to hide out at our old summer place in Parainen :D He then went on to become the Minister of Health and Medicine during the late thirties to mid-fourties wartime government. My mother's family is originally from Sweden but have been landowners in the eastern Uusimaa region since time immemorial.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
On my mom's side, my grandfather's great-grandfather was a famous architect in our city who designed a lot of houses for the wealthy mainly in the 1870s. When I went home last summer I saw his name in a book at Barnes & Noble and from there visited our tourist center where all of his homes in the area were mentioned in a brochure with the addresses. I took my mom to see them all for a day since she had never done so before, since she didn't know which homes he architect'd. Here are a few:

1.png
His personal home for five years, a strange Y-shaped one.

2.jpg

3.jpg
A mirror image of the previous home.

4.jpg

I often wonder how disappointed he would be in me.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Late wins.

On my father's side I'm English, Spanish. On my mother's side I'm English, Irish, German. There is German nobility from my grandmother's family.

My great grandfather was a Corporal in the Australian Imperial Force, 7th Field Company and received a Military Medal.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
My earliest known ancestors were gladiators from Sicily and Vikings from Norway.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I dunno mate you've conquered China.

It is now a lifegoal to make my great-great-great-grandchildren feel inadequate to me.

My earliest known ancestors were gladiators from Sicily and Vikings from Norway.

How can you know this?

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
wouldn't say boring at all
all roots/routes go way deep into the land where yours came from, there's heritage there.
btw how is that dna thing done? is it expensive in the US?

It was $80. My sister had one done for her and myself, my wife did one for herself. In short, send them $80, thy ship out a "kit", spit in it, send it back in, get the results in an email a few months later.

I'm a bit skeptic...but it is what it is.

What I find amusing is that my father has long claimed this giant Native American heritage...survey sayz....0%. LOL.

My wife also though she was quite exotic....survey sayz...72% British. LOL again.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
My dad: 75% Thai, 25% Chinese, rumor has it he has some Arabic in him too.
My mom: Thai, Chinese, possibly some Japanese given that she is from Ayutthaya.

Basically, I trace my lineage to Sagat.

maxresdefault.jpg

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
On my dad's side we can trace it back to 1679 Nuremberg to where the first Enoch was. The Enoch name has been passed down since to the first son (my Brother, Dad, Opa...) They landed in Virginia in the 1800's, Opa was born in 1895.

Mom's side is Scottish/German mainly doctors and teachers, I was told one of the lead engineers on the Hoover Dam is not too far off the tree.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
DNA ancestry is pretty boring for white folks. I wouldn't recommend it. Your haplotype is going to match pretty much every white person.
You can track male lineage very well, but female is not quite as robust.

SmaMan

Cheng's Errand Boy
My lineage can be easily traced back to Sicily/North Africa. My great grandpa and a couple of his sons (not my grandpa, though, he was too young) were members of the Sicilian Mafia. The sons were bookies, as far as I can tell, working the racetracks in and around New Orleans.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
DNA ancestry is pretty boring for white folks. I wouldn't recommend it. Your haplotype is going to match pretty much every white person.
You can track male lineage very well, but female is not quite as robust.

I'm related to Charlemagne!

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
I never checked tbh.... my sis did many years ago, wanted to know about the origin of our family name and she found out it was given to a knight as reward (Spain) but I can't remember when unfortunately :(

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I can trace my father's family back to a dude who got shipped to the colonies from England in the early 1700's. The funny thing is that I always heard from the older people that the man (William) was given a huge amount of land in current day Virginia/NC as an honor. Well, that's half true. What happened is he got caught stealing bread, and his punishment was either go to jail or get shipped to the colonies to cultivate farmland, and he chose to hop on the boat. The family has more or less stayed in the Virginia/NC area for hundreds of years.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I can trace my father's family back to a dude who got shipped to the colonies from England in the early 1700's. The funny thing is that I always heard from the older people that the man (William) was given a huge amount of land in current day Virginia/NC as an honor. Well, that's half true. What happened is he got caught stealing bread, and his punishment was either go to jail or get shipped to the colonies to cultivate farmland, and he chose to hop on the boat. The family has more or less stayed in the Virginia/NC area for hundreds of years.

that's what you get for - PINCHING A LOAF!

:eye:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
It is now a lifegoal to make my great-great-great-grandchildren feel inadequate to me.

How can you know this?

Ancestry DNA Test, family stories handed down about lineage, simple research on the ole' internet