All about the gameplay!

Grizz9567

Crossed Swords Squire
Let us start by saying the new games look very pretty:)

My 2Cents added!

Now here we go...why is it...that they do not program the actual physics into these fighters!

Meaning : When it rains...the characters should get all wet and play more sluggish..they should slide around in the snow..rain..mud..etc..when they walk through sand..it should kick up and slow them up! If the wind blows from left to right..they should feel it..Meaning: as we push to the left..it would slow our walk down and if the player on the left walked toward me..it would speed him a bit..What about having a crashing wave coming towards the screen and actually knock the characters down!

Or bonfires in the background pumping out smoke that makes your character dizzy and sluggish for a bit..heavy breathing if inhaled..or even if u get to close or throw an opponent near the fire..he actually was burned or broken boned and couldnt use that arm or leg again ?
these are just some of the examples i would like to see implemented in the new fighters!

I may be a dreamer...but it is a great dream!

If racing games can do it..why can't all games do this ?

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Let us start by saying the new games look very pretty:)

My 2Cents added!

Now here we go...why is it...that they do not program the actual physics into these fighters!

Meaning : When it rains...the characters should get all wet and play more sluggish..they should slide around in the snow..rain..mud..etc..when they walk through sand..it should kick up and slow them up! If the wind blows from left to right..they should feel it..Meaning: as we push to the left..it would slow our walk down and if the player on the left walked toward me..it would speed him a bit..What about having a crashing wave coming towards the screen and actually knock the characters down!

Or bonfires in the background pumping out smoke that makes your character dizzy and sluggish for a bit..heavy breathing if inhaled..or even if u get to close or throw an opponent near the fire..he actually was burned or broken boned and couldnt use that arm or leg again ?
these are just some of the examples i would like to see implemented in the new fighters!

I may be a dreamer...but it is a great dream!

If racing games can do it..why can't all games do this ?

This would be cool but there should be an option to turn it off.

1 on 1 fighters should be exactly that, and not 1 vs 1 vs terrain. Just look at Smash Brothers...90% of that game is avoiding a stage KO. I could see people abusing the negative stage effects and not actually practicing to gain real skill.

Fuck, I did it on Mortal Kombat: Armageddon back in the day...why learn some fancy-pants combo when all you have to do is get them to the edge and uppercut away for a free win?

I would love for developers to add the visuals of weather/terrain elements but it would be murder for competitive play. My 2cents :)

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Yeah, I don't think this would be such a great idea.

Weather elements and other environmental factors work great in action platformers, RPGs and other types of games where these challenges add to the difficulty of the gameplay.

And realistically, the environment might favor one fighter over another based on their size, strength and fighting style. It's an even bigger factor in games with storylines that are inspired from Japan's 17th century, where samurai and ronin and duelists of all kinds wandered the countryside looking to get into fights with others. In these animes and mangas, there are characters who specialize in fighting in knee deep water, in snow, in environments with thinner air and whatnot.

Most of the video games, anime and manga you see now with these elements are based very strongly on Miyamoto Musashi's roamings. Ryu, Haohmaru, Terry Bogard and many, many other famous video game, anime and manga icons are derivitave of this.

But in a fighting game, where reflexes are a key element to playing well, environmental factors would break the consistency of the head to head experience.

Now, I've seen stuff in single player quest modes, like in the Soul Calibur series, where you have to beat this opponent on a slippery surface. And I believe that in Soul Calibur 2, Talim's stage on the windmill requires you to be careful because you might get pushed off the tower by the strong winds. As an occasional gimmick, this can work.

But in a strict head to head fight, two players don't want to deal with that stuff. And personally, I don't blame them. It's never needed it for head to head gameplay.

Grizz9567

Crossed Swords Squire
That makes sense. I am just thinking in a slightly different view. I would'nt want every character to be exactly the same in skills and strength. The big guys are supposed to be slower. etc.. I am just thinking with the technology out there, we could have so much more. I don't want the characters to specialize in fighting in water..or sand.or anything..etc..I just figure it would add to the games touch and make us learn and play even harder to avoid and/or [for better words] get used to playing with these types of elements. Either way..you are both right..and peeps always abuse something somehow. it is just human nature.....i guess..:smirk: