All about Anime

Benimaru

King's Dry Cleaner
Maybe we should have an anime topic just like "all about shooters" I definately enjoyed hearing what people had to say about certain anime series and movies. I especially enjoyed talking to slerch :D

But those topics usually die out fast, so let's keep the fire going..

If a mod could sticky this that would be great :tickled:

Anyway, to start up a subject. I just watched the first episode of Samuai Champloo and I thought it was great. Finally a Samurai anime with real fighting seens. Even though I thought the music was mostly crap, the rest is pretty good. If you have seen it, what are your thoughts?

slerch666

updyke,
Sorry, haven't seen Champloo, so I can't comment on it. I won't be seeing it until it gets a legit US release beginning in January (I think it's Jan).

I don't do fansubs or bootlegs. I have enough legit R1 releases to keep me more than busy.

There have been, however, at least 2 Champloo topics. (not that this is one, just saying you may want to check out what other people said about it there too).

It is my understanding that Fuji TV canceled Champloo before it finished airing. I believe Now Loading is the one who made that comment.

Benimaru

King's Dry Cleaner
Very intresting. I understand about not watching fansubs. But this is the best way to choose some good anime to watch. I only watch a couple of episodes from each anime to see if I like it. So far I watched Samurai 7, Samurai Champloo, Elfen Lied, Naruto, Gungrave, Haibane Renmei, and Gokusen.

It seems I am mostly intrested in Champloo and Haibane Renmei ... the latter being the best. I can't believe I missed. So I will definately buy the US releases.

slerch666

updyke,
Haibane Renmei is a damn good show.

I thought it was kind of interesting that there wasn't any REAL conflict until the second disc, and that didn't really happen until the END of the second disc (eps 7 I think it was, or around there, it's been a while since I watched through it).

See, I have no sense and spend too much money buying Anime (I did a tally on the Anime I have ordered through Rightstuf, Nick Goracke would love me for it) through January, and not all the companies have solicited their Nov/Dec titles yet... a very scray thought.

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
I saw Love Hina for the first time in english and it was terrible! Some girl gave me the Japanese version and I loved that! In the english, it sounds like the VA's arn't really taking the voices seriously. I say that cause whoever does the voices do NOT fit them (well for most of them...).

The guy that does Keitaro (in english) isn't bad but he isn't great either. He doesn't make those goofy sounds that the Japanese guy does (which makes the show very funny!). The girl that does Kitsune is terrible because she has a southern accent. When I saw this, I was like "the fcuk is this shit?". It was so bad, I didn't even finish the first episode.

Just outta curiousity, how can people make fan-subs? What program can you use in order to do so?

Maury V.

Benimaru

King's Dry Cleaner
Razial said:
I saw Love Hina for the first time in english and it was terrible! Some girl gave me the Japanese version and I loved that! In the english, it sounds like the VA's arn't really taking the voices seriously. I say that cause whoever does the voices do NOT fit them (well for most of them...).

The guy that does Keitaro (in english) isn't bad but he isn't great either. He doesn't make those goofy sounds that the Japanese guy does (which makes the show very funny!). The girl that does Kitsune is terrible because she has a southern accent. When I saw this, I was like "the fcuk is this shit?". It was so bad, I didn't even finish the first episode.

Just outta curiousity, how can people make fan-subs? What program can you use in order to do so?

Maury V.

It's not that easy to make fansubs. You have to get raws or rip dvds yourself, you have to encode them, translate them, time them .. etc

You use several programs to do all these...

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
I recently purchased NGE Perfect Colletion, Resurrection, Genesis Reborn and the new Platinum Vol. 1 thing.

I'm mad about teh Eva :loco: The platinum-thingy is HIGHLY recommended. No Evangelion-jitter, excellent picture, awesome box-art and less volumes to buy ;) I can't comment on the sound, because my sound system blows, but I'd recommend this new release to anyone who likes NGE. I'm definitely pre-ordering the remaining six volumes as soon as they're announced.

I've also just purchased the first five volumes of Escaflowne. Yesterday, I learned about the new Perfect Collection coming out in two months. Just my luck :p Oh well, I only have to get around £5 each for the volumes I have, to not really lose any money buying the Perfect Collection. But still... :spock:

Benimaru

King's Dry Cleaner
Yeah Eva is great. But I think RahXephon is everything Eva should of been

Deyer

Kristian Meller said:
I'm mad about teh Eva :loco: The platinum-thingy is HIGHLY recommended. No Evangelion-jitter, excellent picture, awesome box-art and less volumes to buy ;) I can't comment on the sound, because my sound system blows, but I'd recommend this new release to anyone who likes NGE. I'm definitely pre-ordering the remaining six volumes as soon as they're announced.

Is it really that much better than the original?

I have the original box set, but I don't see the point unless it's a lot better than the original.

ST-V

Speaking of the NGE Perfect Collection, does anyone know when the second DVD is coming out?

Mugen!
samuraichamploo_005.jpg

Other cool things of the moment: Paranoia Agent, Naruto, Haibane Renmei, Turn A Gundam

slerch666

updyke,
ST-V said:
Speaking of the NGE Perfect Collection, does anyone know when the second DVD is coming out?
Yeah, it streets September 21, 2004. Easiest question I had to answer all day. :D

I have the original box set, but I don't see the point unless it's a lot better than the original.
It's a lot better in terms of picture quality and sound. If you don't care about either of these, then fuck it, don't waste your money. It's the same show that you saw when you watched the original sets. I believe there is some added footage to be seen at some point, but I'm not totally clear on that one.

Eva seems to be the whore of the Anime industry, they pimp the shit out of it. This is supposed to use the same video masters as the latest Japanese release did, except, for whatever reason, ADV decided to do a non-progressive encode when the R2s are progressive. Weird.

dragonwillow

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Benimaru said:

Rah was great indeed.
Have you seen the movie?
HUGE disappointment for me.

They ruined the story... took a lot of the mysticism out of it.

slerch666

updyke,
dragonwillow said:
Rah was great indeed.
Have you seen the movie?

I bought the movie and... it's still sitting on my shelf.

Did you know it also has messes up audio on the Japanese track? Evidently one speaker has no sound and all of the dialog, rather than coming from the center channel, comes from the right speaker? At about 40 minutes into the movie, it goes back to normal.

ADV is 'working on it' though.

Benimaru

King's Dry Cleaner
slerch666 said:
I bought the movie and... it's still sitting on my shelf.

Did you know it also has messes up audio on the Japanese track? Evidently one speaker has no sound and all of the dialog, rather than coming from the center channel, comes from the right speaker? At about 40 minutes into the movie, it goes back to normal.

ADV is 'working on it' though.

Yeah they are just gonna call the dvds back.

By the way, a little update on my anime. Just got the first two dvds on haibane renmei. That stuff is unbelievably good. I don't know why I love it so much. Weird.

Samurai Champloo seems to be getting better by the moment, I honestly love it and recommend it to anyone.

toy_brain

Amano's Drinking Buddy
dragonwillow said:
Rah was great indeed.
Have you seen the movie?

I agree, I watched the movie a couple days ago and was hugely dissapointed by it.

It wasnt just the way they messed around with the story, the also took all the tension out of the fight scenes (even the end one) and several characters no longer made any sense. I mean, what was Quan supposed to be anyway? Good? Bad? was she attacking Ayato or guiding him? In the series its obvious, but in the film it just made no sense.

Bah, well at least it came in a nice sturdy box :p

Benimaru

King's Dry Cleaner
toy_brain said:
I agree, I watched the movie a couple days ago and was hugely dissapointed by it.

It wasnt just the way they messed around with the story, the also took all the tension out of the fight scenes (even the end one) and several characters no longer made any sense. I mean, what was Quan supposed to be anyway? Good? Bad? was she attacking Ayato or guiding him? In the series its obvious, but in the film it just made no sense.

Bah, well at least it came in a nice sturdy box :p

Well if your brain wasn't a toy, you probably would of understood.

Just playing. It was, indeed, confusing.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Deyer said:

It is a lot better. You should get it if you ever plan on watching the series again. You won't regret it. Lack of Evangelion-jitter is one thing, but the colours are so amazing you won't believe it the first time you play the disc.

Also, Slerch, wouldn't it be a natural assumption to make that the episodes found on the Resurrection and Genesis Reborn discs, are the ones found in the Platinum "Perfect Collection"?

Benimaru said:

RahXephon is next on my list ;)

Last edited:

slerch666

updyke,
Kristian Meller said:
Also, Slerch, wouldn't it be a natural assumption to make that the episodes found on the Resurrection and Genesis Reborn discs, are the ones found in the Platinum "Perfect Collection"?
Wouldn't it be natural to assume it is? Sure. Is it possible that they wouldn't include the extra bits from the 2 discs? Yeah it is. No one's really asked, and ADV hasn't really said, that I know of. I believe the Resurrection/Genesis Reborn stuff is what was on the remastered R2s, and since ADV used the remastered R2 video for the Platinum release, I would like to think they'd have the extra bits as well. But with all things, it's never a given.

And I'll stand by what I said about the Platinum edition. If you were only watching Eva originally to watch it, and it wasn't something you have any burning desire to watch more than once, then you can leave the Platinum edition on the shelf. The extra bits, better sound and better video quality don't really change the feel of the show, and as such doesn't warrant another purchase unless you desire these things or loved the show.

In fact, image gallery of cool anime:

Samurai Champloo:
003.jpg

Paranoia Agent:
mousou_img.jpg

Naruto:
naruto01.jpg

Haibane Renmei:
haibane_renmei_03.jpg

Turn A Gundam:
moon72.jpg

slerch: FujiTV cancelled Cowboy Bebop. They do that a lot. No worries, the series will likely continue production anyway, if only bevcause of how much money CN may offer it.

Last edited:

slerch666

updyke,
Jethrek- I didn't think canceling Champloo would be an issue. I have a feeling they've completed the series, now people in Japan will just have to buy the DVDs to see the end. Sucks for them. Also, given Geneon has the license, I'm sure they wouldn't want an incomplete series so if worse came to worse they'd probably offer up some money to have the series finish.

In your image gallery, the only thing that hasn't been licensed for R1 release... yet... is Naruto. I'm thinking if it's anything like One Piece, 4Kids is going to get it and fuck it up and release it as a kids show on Fox Kids. With luck someone, Funimation on 4Kids other titles, will get the OK from 4Kids for an unmolested version...

Last edited:

Benimaru

King's Dry Cleaner
Cowboy Bebop? I think you mean Champloo?

Anyway, even though it's discontinued, that does not change the fact that it's a great anime. I am 5 episodes deep and already in love. Reminds me alot of Cowboy Bebop. Also, the US release is due in January of next year.

slerch666 said:
Jethrek- I didn't think canceling Champloo would be an issue. I have a feeling they've completed the series, now people in Japan will just have to buy the DVDs to see the end. Sucks for them. Also, given Geneon has the license, I'm sure they wouldn't want an incomplete series so if worse came to worse they'd probably offer up some money to have the series finish.

In your image gallery, the only thing that hasn't been licensed for R1 release... yet... is Naruto. I'm thinking if it's anything like One Piece, 4Kids is going to get it and fuck it up and release it as a kids show on Fox Kids. With luck someone, Funimation on 4Kids other titles, will get the OK from 4Kids for an unmolested version...

Naruto is much more adultt han one piece, so I don't think 4Kids will win a bidding war for it against FUNimation. Parts of the series simply cannot be aired on FoxBox or WB Kids.

Turn A Gundam is the other that has not been picked up. While "Gundam" is liscensed by Bandai, they have made no moves whatsoever to liscence Turn A. Turn A was designed to appeal to a very adult audience, and therefore it doesn't fair well with the "OMG, fighting giant robots" crowd that made SEED and Wing successes.

Benimaru

King's Dry Cleaner
Never really liked Gunda. I think there are alot better mecha anime than the Gundam franchise. I mean it's so abused

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
i did a little bit of fan subbing (2 episodes or so) and all they gave me was the raw avi of the show, very time consuming using just wma to watch it over and over again. a 20minute show would take me 3+ hours for a pretty average translation.