Alberto Gonzales... Hilarious comment to justify electronic surveillance.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Guess who's next in line for the Su Preeme Court!

PopeCuervoLime

Avid Neo-Expert
15 Year Member
Doesn't surprise me too much.

As the top lawyer in the country he's doing what any other lawyer would do: go forward with your case using a steady history of past precedent. In this case it's the actions of other presidents and their use of surveillance. The goal of the argument being that if these guys did it and it was okay (and more importantly, history was kind to them because their tactics won wars for America), then it's okay for any President to do it now.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
PopeCuervoLime said:

As the top lawyer in the country he's doing what any other lawyer would do: go forward with your case using a steady history of past precedent. In this case it's the actions of other presidents and their use of surveillance. The goal of the argument being that if these guys did it and it was okay (and more importantly, history was kind to them because their tactics won wars for America), then it's okay for any President to do it now.

He's a Liar through and through......

No president has ever done anything like this in direct violation of Congress......

EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
NickD, where the hell have you been!!!

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
George Washington and Abe Lincoln authorized electronic surveillance?! Holy shit they were ahead of their times.

SSS

neo retired
wasabi said:
George Washington and Abe Lincoln authorized electronic surveillance?! Holy shit they were ahead of their times.

Come on now, I thought the fact that Lincoln had all released slaves implanted with ID tags so the gov't could track migratory patterns/population densities was common knowledge.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
norton9478 said:
He's a Liar through and through......

No president has ever done anything like this in direct violation of Congress......

EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I get what the guy was getting at, but still none of those presidents were around during times of....technology

Last edited:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
we're secretly moving slaves north WE NEED SURVEILANCE!

ViewtifulZFO

Street Hoop Star
PopeCuervoLime said:

Do you agree or disagree with the Attorney General?

IMTheWalrus

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
Gonzales point is moot because we aren't actually at war. Congress has to declare war. I'm also sure that you can't have a real war on an idea like terror. Argument over. Bush broke the law.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Even Bush 41 went to Congress to ask for war powers when dealing with the first Gulf War. This president has seized more power than any executive in recent memory. I'd love to see what happens when a Democrat takes over the White House...will Congressional Republicans be as respectful of all these "precedents"?

Fucking laughable.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Loopz said:
Even Bush 41 went to Congress to ask for war powers when dealing with the first Gulf War. This president has seized more power than any executive in recent memory. I'd love to see what happens when a Democrat takes over the White House...will Congressional Republicans be as respectful of all these "precedents"?

You don't have to wait...

Clinton asked for roving domestic wiretaps right after the OKC bombing...

Congress out and out refused....

Besides, the Republicans in congress would not have given Bush similar powers.... That's why Ashcroft and Gonzo decided not to ask for them. Instead they decided to to say they didn't need it. While Lying about the existance of wiretaps the whole time.

TMW02-01-06.jpg

PopeCuervoLime

Avid Neo-Expert
15 Year Member
ViewtifulZFO said:
Do you agree or disagree with the Attorney General?

Disagree in the sense that this whole hearing was a formality to let the people believe that the government is doing this legitimately when, in fact, the government will do whatever it wants in the name of national security.

Ironically, Republican values usually stand for smaller government yet because of the terrorist threat this President has used Gonzales and Ashcroft to twist everything around to justify everything from wiretaps to hidden surveillance, and all matter of high level intrusion into the lives of average Americans.

I agree that terrorists must be sought out and eliminated on both foreign soil and domestic, but we shouldn't have to do the terrorists' work for them in this country with all this Big Brother stuff.

Neon_Sonic

Setsuna's Owl Keeper
That's just awesome.

And I'm guessing "the Pope" missed the point of this thread entirely.

PopeCuervoLime

Avid Neo-Expert
15 Year Member
Neon_Sonic said:
That's just awesome.

And I'm guessing "the Pope" missed the point of this thread entirely.

This thread was started as sounding post for opinions and I gave mine.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Guys, I think we really really need to spy on the Quakers...

Those Peacnic Hommies are really fucking Dangerous.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The missing element of the Wiretap Debate is this...

Is it making us safer?

Many experts are saying that it is doing the opposite beause the Inteligence agencies are overwhealmed with shitty leads and not focusing enough time on Suspected Terrorists.....

NickD

Frenzy Football Player
Actually I started this thread because of the completely illogical and impossible response by Gonzales. There's no way that Washington, Lincoln, Wilson and Roosevelt could have use "electronic" surveillance. At least, if he would have say "Reagan, Nixon, Clinton" it would have sounded right, even though I'm against it but it wouldn't have made him a total moron.

The best thing those 4 presidents could have ever hope for was people snitching :kekeke: Especially when you don't even have electricity. Unless Gonzales just confessed that aliens do exists and that they have helped the US in the past :lol: :lol:

@Spinmaster:

I've been around. Just not here (NG.com) a lot. But I'm still on the net.