AES with no sound

ROM-Lover

New Challenger
Hi,
I´ve soldered a socket for the bios in an AES system and it has some connecting problems but it´s now fixed and runs.

But there´s no sound on 3,5 jack and on standard jack.

Is it possibile that´s from a bad connection at the bios?

The board revision is 3-6. Where is the part(s) that controls the sound?

Have a nice day.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
The sound ROMs are on the cart on the AES. There's no ROM on the AES board itself.

First clean the cart edge connectors with a pink or white eraser. Clean the slot on the board too. Instructions are out at http://www.hardmvs.com - dirty carts and slots are the biggest cause of no sound.

After that... It's tougher. Check the Z80 CPU and its connections to the cart slot. Look for damaged traces - drink spills, rodent damage, scraped/gouged connectors, etc. before you start replacing chips.

jew90

Geese's Thug
good suggestions by channelmaniac :glee:

Is there sound from the console as all? like from the A/V port?

Did the sound work on either jack / av port before you perfom the mod?

Have you tried a different game?

If you have and there is no sound from both ports then it is likely a problem with the sound ciruitary rather than a problem with one of the ports.

The sound circuitary isn't tested on the AES so you won't get an error during bootup that you might have got (depending on fault) with an MVS.

If it worked before your mod then i'd start with the obvious which would be broken / bad traces around the bios chip / anything else you might have repaired.

The sound is controlled by the Z80 cpu, if you have been flexing the mobo when removing it you might have disturbed a solder joint around here too or gouged a trace from the z80 to the 68000 or any chips in between.

hope that helps a bit

ROM-Lover

New Challenger
I´ve checked all traces i could direct see.
In Unibios jukebox cames error starting sound.

Is this giving a hint?

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Yes.

It's telling you that you need to check the things I said. ;)

The "program ROM" for the Z80 is on the cart. There is no program ROM on the board like there is on the MVS. This means that dirty carts, dirty slots, broken traces from the cart to the Z80, bad Z80, or other problems in the sound subsystem could cause the sound to not work.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Ya check the Z80 connection from the cart slot to the Z80. Check all the data and address lines on the Z80. It would be from the CHA board slot which is the one on the bottom and usually closest to the Z80.

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
I’d make a separate thread, but I’m incapable at the moment. Anyway, on the subject of audio, I’ve noticed that when playing an MVS cart on an AES using a Super MVS Converter II with a unibios 3.0 I get no audio on game intros when I’ve set the game type to MVS. That’s JUST intros; the rest of the audio in the game works perfectly, with the Neo Geo start-up screen not queuing up the music on a game-to-game basis. This is resolved simply by setting the game to console in the unibios interface.
It’s not exactly bugging me, but for those of you out there that are so familiar with the hardware, I was just curious to see if you could explain this little annoyance.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I’d make a separate thread, but I’m incapable at the moment. Anyway, on the subject of audio, I’ve noticed that when playing an MVS cart on an AES using a Super MVS Converter II with a unibios 3.0 I get no audio on game intros when I’ve set the game type to MVS. That’s JUST intros; the rest of the audio in the game works perfectly, with the Neo Geo start-up screen not queuing up the music on a game-to-game basis. This is resolved simply by setting the game to console in the unibios interface.
It’s not exactly bugging me, but for those of you out there that are so familiar with the hardware, I was just curious to see if you could explain this little annoyance.

MVS requires a softdip setting for attract sound.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
On the Unibios splash screen press B+C+D and go to "setting the softdip".