AES vs MVS Game Differences?

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
This has probably been discussed before, but the search seems to be broken right now.

What games have significant differences in MVS vs AES mode? I know most AES games have limited continues vs infinite buy-in and whatnot, but that's not what I'm interested in. I'm curious about differences like Top Hunter playing all the stages in AES mode vs only 3/4 of them in MVS mode or AoF 3 having a story in AES mode but not in MVS mode. Stuff like that. I also know that Magician Lord respawns the player where they died in AES mode but back to the start of the level in MVS mode (and there's some HP differences too I think).

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
I never knew about that. Interesting. I wonder why considering it's the exact same code?

They might have thought it would make the game too easy because you could potentially use it as 1 player to get extra lives without being sent back to a checkpoint although Occam's razor suggests that they were just lazy cocksuckers, it wasn't the default MVS setting (it's turn based 2p by default in the MVS version), and they just didn't bother to implement the option in the AES version.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
It's not a mode; it's a separate rom version. Some later AES carts are the instant respawn version.
Ah ok. There's another question: How many Neo Geo games have multiple rom versions?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Ah ok. There's another question: How many Neo Geo games have multiple rom versions?
There are a ton, especially if you include earlier games where the AES version had a difficulty select and limited continues built into the rom, while the MVS version did not. Easiest way to find most of the variants is to peruse a curated rom list like a downloaded pack for NeoSD or mame.

Luckily, Magician Lord is the only example of a dramatic AES/MVS gameplay difference that's based on the rom instead of the system bios.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
There are a ton, especially if you include earlier games where the AES version had a difficulty select and limited continues built into the rom, while the MVS version did not. Easiest way to find most of the variants is to peruse a curated rom list like a downloaded pack for NeoSD or mame.
So early games had the options built into the rom itself and aren't affected by the BIOS? Interesting.

Can most MVS games be set to AES mode through through Universe BIOS and gain any benefits (extra story, levels, whatnot) they offer or will some games not like that?

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
On Metal Slugs (X onwards) you can enable the "vulcan fix" option. That allows you to move your vehicles while keeping your shot at an angle. Should have been like that for every platform if you ask me.

ALso, Windjammers not being able to adjust time in AES mode is weird. That's an important option in MVS mode.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
So early games had the options built into the rom itself and aren't affected by the BIOS? Interesting.

Can most MVS games be set to AES mode through through Universe BIOS and gain any benefits (extra story, levels, whatnot) they offer or will some games not like that?
Most games can open all of this at the bios level. It's rare that the rom differences are that dramatic.

On Metal Slugs (X onwards) you can enable the "vulcan fix" option. That allows you to move your vehicles while keeping your shot at an angle. Should have been like that for every platform if you ask me.

ALso, Windjammers not being able to adjust time in AES mode is weird. That's an important option in MVS mode.
I suck at Windjammers, so I'm curious about this.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
There is, usually, one massive difference between any MVS and AES version of a Neo-Geo game.... the price.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
EDIT: Also, since you mentioned Art of Fighting 3, the 2 bosses are selectable right from the start of a game in MVS mode.

Art of Fighting 1 allowed you to select the 2 bosses in both HOME and MVS, but, you had to have them saved on the memory card and load the data at the start of the game.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I feel like I should be making a list. This is all good stuff!

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Just adding to this list, the 2 rom revisions of the first Shock Troopers game. (the differences in how the life meter is handled)

Unfortunately Shock Troopers never got an AES release (though it can certainly be played in AES mode in emulators / Unibios) so both those rom revisions are arcade only. I'm sure I don't have to list all the differences between the versions again :)

Also not strictly an AES mode thing but when World Heroes was released for the home market they rebalanced the damage on light attacks so that Brocken doesn't instantly kill you in like 7 crouching light kicks. This was an actual change in the rom.