AES to PVM via RGB - Intermittent picture curl at the top of the screen

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Yeah I know exactly what it looks like, my monitors do that if I get the phase or h freq adjustments too far off. I wish I were more familiar with the 20L5, sorry.

No worries man, I appreciate you trying to help! Both my AES consoles look like this on the 20L5 but look perfect on my 20M2U. So far I have replaced the RGBS caps/resistors in both consoles and tried with and without the LM1881N circuit. I've also tried adjusting every conceivable option in the regular and service menus. SNES and MD are fine on either. I'd prefer to have everything running through one monitor due to space issues but if I have to have both set up, so be it.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
If it's not a total pain in the ass, I'd try maybe a 100 or 200ohm (ish) resistor on sync to humor myself.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Yeah, where ever you can work it into the cable temporarily if possible.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
I get that stupid issue on some of my arcade boards with my supergun using my RGB monitors. Nothing I've done seems to fix it. The only way I've gotten rid of it is to run my RGB through an extron 203rxi. It fixes that annoying ass curl but then I got all this shit on my desk. Supergun -> Extron -> Monitor.

Playing with the sync resistance can sometimes fix it like putting a 200 Ohm pot inline as a rheostat with the sync signal and fiddling with it ti'll it goes away. That works for my sunset rider board but not everything. My DDP DoJ only gets straight if I use the extron.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Revisited this issue today. Tried various resistors on the sync line but there was no change. I've tried 2 different revision AES consoles on various monitors, with and without correct caps, and with and without sync stripper. The 20L5 is the only one where this problem is present. The 20L5 works perfectly with Genesis, Saturn, SNES, even Neo CD via RGB. The reason I'd like to fix this is because the 20L5 is my nicest monitor in terms of PQ. I opened the monitor to see if I could find a H-hold pot but none are marked as such.

DSC00585.JPGDSC00588.JPG

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Can you get an AES RGB cable that uses composite sync instead of composite video?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Can you get an AES RGB cable that uses composite sync instead of composite video?

Just switched the pins in the DIN8 - same result. Worth a shot though, thanks!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
What revision AES boards are they? 3-5 and 3-6 don't have composite sync on any pin, only composite video to both 3 and 7.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
What revision AES boards are they? 3-5 and 3-6 don't have composite sync on any pin, only composite video to both 3 and 7.

One is 3-1 with corrected caps (but not the other mod you mentioned recently), other is bone stock 3-3.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Have you tried sync on green?

If you mean bridging the green signal to the sync input, the monitor didn't seem to like that ;) Couldn't find an on-screen option or button for sync on green either.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Nope, you need to add sync to the green input. Use the internal/external switch.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Nope, you need to add sync to the green input. Use the internal/external switch.

Ah, gotcha. Tried that, works now but no change. Why do you hate Neo Geo, Mr 20L5? :crying:

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Do you get the same issue with an MVS system?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Do you get the same issue with an MVS system?

Omega + sync stripper was fine - no curl. Side note: I think RGBS signals are too strong from the Omega. Without the sync stripper, the picture would jump on whiteouts and the audio buzz would worsen. Omegas are not grounded properly or something, but I digress.

My current CMVS (low serial JNX ;)) uses s-video but also no curl, FWIW.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Ah, gotcha. Tried that, works now but no change. Why do you hate Neo Geo, Mr 20L5? :crying:

I should have been more clear, use a pot inline to tune it. I made a cable for someone before with an inline pot and he said it worked.

buzzdennis

n00b
Anyone ever find a fix for this? Having the same issue on a 14L5. AES via RGB SCART (wired to csync), curl at the top.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Do you know which AES revision it is? The first revision ones can have a lower refresh rate, which is less compatible.