AES needs to warm-up for NeoSD pro to work?

jcoelho

n00b
Hi guys!

I hope you are doing well.

My early NEO-AES recently started to exhibit this strange behavior where, if I try to boot-up my NeoSD pro, it gives me no video at all or it boots to the game in the first memory slot, is like it's not able to boot to the menu and it defaults to the first slot somehow. This only happens when the console has been off for a couple of hours or so. After warming-up for around a minute, I can turn it off and on again and it goes right to the menu as it should.

When it boots directly to the first slot (when the console is 'cold'), flashing a game to one of the memory slots normally fails with a blank screen. After the warm-up period, I can flash games as per normal.

I also noticed that original games boot up just fine even if the console has been off for days.

Thinking it could be faulty capacitors I did a full recap today but tests are showing the issue is still there. Not sure where to go from here...any thoughts? This started happening a couple of weeks ago, I got the console around 2 years ago and this never happened before.

Appreciate you help!

PS: I'm using a Triad WSX050-4000-R as recommended by firebrandx. Here's an image of the same board I have from the firebrandx site:

neogeoaespsuguide-03.jpg

jcoelho

n00b
I think it is safe to say that you shouldn't blame your console then. :)
Yeah, that's what I thought but I'm pretty sure the neosd pro draws more power than original carts. So I think the issue might be related to the console not handling power internally as it should.

jcoelho

n00b
Thanks all for replying. I have a power jack and a power transistor at hand, so I'll try the new power jack first.

I've attached a picture of my power jack with what I believe is a 0.01 uF ceramic capacitor, is that correct? The coding only says "103".

Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20230812_091024.jpg
    20230812_091024.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 6

jcoelho

n00b
Hi all,

Quick update on this. The power jack was in very, very rough shape. It's been replaced along with the ceramic capacitor on top of it. Now the console seems to boot-up right away even after a few hours of inactivity. Nervertheless, the NeoSD pro is failing if I try to flash a game on any of the 4 slots right away, I have to wait for a few minutes for it to work, flashing on the ram slot works fine though :o/

I'll contact Terraonion about this but I was wondering whether you guys have seen this behavior before? Here's a video: NeoSD pro fails to flash memory slot

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20230814_231319.jpg
    20230814_231319.jpg
    769.4 KB · Views: 3

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Nice work. Yes, you should contact their support. It's probably worth reflashing the firmware.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
You need to massage the AES gently at first and then slowly increase intensity to warm it up, you can't just go shoving your cartridge in cold mate.

And always use lots of AES lube

Johnny16Bit

Camel Slug
I'll be interested to hear what support says. I have experienced something very similar with my 3-5 (5v) AES. If it's the same issue, I can at least tell you it's no use spending money in another power supply. I got a kickass Meanwell PSU and it didn't change a thing, the system seems to go on a reboot loop when I try to flash a game.
It works (mostly fine) on my 3-4 (10v), so I just use that one when I want to flash a slot. All I can do with the 3-5 is play a pre-flashed game.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
20s of Jumping Jack & High Knees is a minimum before power on AES

jcoelho

n00b
Another update for the record: Just turned the console on after around 10 hours of inactivity and the neosd couldn't boot up properly, swapped it for an original cart and that one worked fine. Neosd worked after that...so, still needs to warm-up before taking the neosd :(

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
When you have the NeoSD inserted, check your 5v level.

jcoelho

n00b
When you have the NeoSD inserted, check your 5v level.
Good idea, I want to install one of those voltage meters, like the ones I've seen in the superguns.

Assuming the voltage drops too much with the neosd running. Would there be a solution for that?

maki

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Voltage is easy to test with a multi meter ;)

below 4.8V on the +5V rail and things get funky, Garou for example drops the background music during the first level, will also show sprite flickering.

IME NEO-AES or rather AES with 5V voltage supply are more prone to voltage drops, new caps help as well, so do clean contacts on the slot (you've fixed the power plug already)

Reactions: wyo

jcoelho

n00b
Voltage is easy to test with a multi meter ;)

below 4.8V on the +5V rail and things get funky, Garou for example drops the background music during the first level, will also show sprite flickering.

IME NEO-AES or rather AES with 5V voltage supply are more prone to voltage drops, new caps help as well, so do clean contacts on the slot (you've fixed the power plug already)
Thanks Maki!

I'll measure voltage again. When I got the console I did measure it due to an unrelated issue which is now fixed. It was getting very close to 4.8v around the Z80.

Heres what I found at that time:

• The 5.14v from the power supply reach the left leg of the switch when it's open
  • After switching the console on, I'm measuring 4.91 to 4.93v coming out of the switch and into the transistor.
  • The center leg of the transistor is measuring 4.86 to 4.88v, got same results when measuring the big 1000uf cap that follows the transistor.
  • The Z80 is receiving 4.83v which, I believe, might be a bit low?

maki

Edo Express Delivery Guy
4.83V is quite close to 4.8V, and wo knows how well your Multimeter is calibratet.

Try some contact spray in the switch, and clean the slot while you're at it ;)

That "warm up" effect is typical for dry caps IME.

jcoelho

n00b
4.83V is quite close to 4.8V, and wo knows how well your Multimeter is calibratet.

Try some contact spray in the switch, and clean the slot while you're at it ;)

That "warm up" effect is typical for dry caps IME.
Will definitely try that. I did a full recap last weekend.

Thanks!

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Thanks Maki!

I'll measure voltage again. When I got the console I did measure it due to an unrelated issue which is now fixed. It was getting very close to 4.8v around the Z80.

• The 5.14v from the power supply reach the left leg of the switch when it's open
  • After switching the console on, I'm measuring 4.91 to 4.93v coming out of the switch and into the transistor.
  • The center leg of the transistor is measuring 4.86 to 4.88v, got same results when measuring the big 1000uf cap that follows the transistor.
Are these measurements with the NeoSD running?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Thanks Maki!

Are these measurements with the NeoSD running?
This. When I played around with a NeoSD, the voltage had to be pretty close to 5.00v for no issues to be occurring especially graphical and flashing especially. If that's without a cart then you might need a better power supply with more of buffer like maybe 5A even though you only need ~2A or less. I always go at least 30% more than I need in a power supply because of all the anomalies in power supplies nowadays.