AES collecting back in the day

ChrisB

Another Striker
Hi
Have a burning question....... Being around the neo geo as a teenager but unfortunately mamma and pappa never earned enough dosh to buy me an aes when I was growing up.

Did AES carts ever actually become affordable when the console was fading out of popularity so to speak?
This question is more aimed at guys in the uk who might be able to help me out with this?

Did the aes carts ever actually drop in price (sub 」200) in the late 90s?

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Nothing AES has ever been affordable.

Last edited:

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
They were cheaper at some EBs or software etc. at the end of the line, similar to ngage etc. IIRC.

Last edited:

ChrisB

Another Striker
Pretty much confirms then what I thought prices stayed high even through to the end of production of the neo geo.
In the uk i never ever remembered seeing anything dropping in price aes wise

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Wasn't there a time when games like "Robo Army" could be picked up for 30 bucks? Supposedly?

I missed all that, of course. Have my stash of AES games from back then as a kid and got back into it when it was expensive as usual so I can't provide first-hand experience here. :)

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Wasn't there a time when games like "Robo Army" could be picked up for 30 bucks? Supposedly?

Meh....shit game. I would pay someone $30 not to buy it. Neo collecting is just crazy now.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Meh....shit game. I would pay someone $30 not to buy it. Neo collecting is just crazy now.

We can't be friends anymore. Robo Army is a classic beat 'em up... one of the few on the Neo. I do like Final Fight 3 though.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Depends on the title. In the 2000's common games were $20-50 or so, and only the most rare titles fetching more than the original asking price. Now people pay hundreds for fucking Mutation Nation, lol.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Depends on the title. In the 2000's common games were $20-50 or so, and only the most rare titles fetching more than the original asking price. Now people pay hundreds for fucking Mutation Nation, lol.

Remember 2002 people were selling MS AES for $500ish.........LOL

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I remember vividly, as does my repository. Good times. Did you get yours then, too?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Hi
Have a burning question....... Being around the neo geo as a teenager but unfortunately mamma and pappa never earned enough dosh to buy me an aes when I was growing up.

Did AES carts ever actually become affordable when the console was fading out of popularity so to speak?
This question is more aimed at guys in the uk who might be able to help me out with this?

Did the aes carts ever actually drop in price (sub 」200) in the late 90s?

Not sure about new but 2nd hand games were very cheap in the mid to late 90s in the UK, especially around when the Playstation came out. This continued into the early 2000s. By today's ridiculous standards, many games were still relatively cheap in 2010, hell even 2013 :lolz:

bravojohny

Armored Scrum Object
From what I read AES games were never very affordable. You always had to pay a lot by comparison to Mega Drive or Super Nintendo games. There were some bundles, when some stores started to stock of by the end of the nineties, and you could have some good deals. But the only cheap option, when it concerns to Neo Geo scene was to buy CD games. That's why SNK released the platform. However, loadings and Saturn + PlayStation, obliterate it.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I do like Final Fight 3 though.

What does a console only game released almost 5 years later have to do with Robo Army?

Now people pay hundreds for fucking Mutation Nation, lol.

Of course this has nothing to do with why people are paying hundreds for it now, but, Mutation Nation is probably the most balanced and well designed game in the genre for the hardware.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Back in the late 90s, many of the games were expensive just because the market basket was different.

Like Blazing Star for $475 just seemed like too much. In today's dollars that would have been like $900.

However, by 2002 Blazing Star was selling close to $900.

In 1999 Metal Slug was $500. By 2002 it was going for $1000. A few years after that it was $1600.

The best time to buy and sell was probably around 2002 however. The prices of games had polarized such that you could get common games for very cheap, but the rare games were out of reach. If you wanted to start a collection, that would have been a great time.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Of course this has nothing to do with why people are paying hundreds for it now, but, Mutation Nation is probably the most balanced and well designed game in the genre for the hardware.

If you forget how bad is the jump gameplay, it's pretty solid in my book.
Jumps on that game are terrible tho.

Music kicks ass.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
If you forget how bad are the jump gameplay, it's pretty solid in my book.
Jumps on that game are terrible tho.

Well, if you're jumping when you shouldn't be, and jumping incorrectly when you should be…

2. Jumping in the game is useful, even though jump attacks are not needed in the game (unless you want to juggle a regular enemy or mid-boss. No, the juggles can't be exploited.. They're kind of useless). You can change the direction of your jump mid-air and change the plane in which you land on. I.E. you can almost jump from the southwestern-most corner to the northeastern-most corner.

Jumping is MOST useful in situations when you have 4 or 5 regular enemies encircling you. You allow them to target you/jump toward you when you're on the northern-most plane, as you jump toward the southern most plane.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I started buying AES games in 2007 and at that time it was not terrible.

Over the next couple of years I bought about 40 games? think the most I ever paid was around $250 (for the JPN versions)

And that included games like Sengoku 2, Art of Fighting 2, Samurai Spirits 4, SVC Chaos, KOF 01 and 02, Last Blade 2 etc etc etc.

I also got many harder to find games for around $100 - $150 including 8man, Burning Fight, Mutation Nation, Robo Army, Cyber Lip (cardboard box). Again all JPN versions.

I haven't been following AES recently, but pretty sure it would be impossible for me to rebuild the collection at today's prices. And thats ok - my modded xbox is alls I need.

UK 2nd hand prices were probably at their lowest around the late 90s/turn of the millennium. I seem to recall Computer Exchange at Tottenham Court Road dumping much of their stock for near peanuts as the Saturn /PS1 conversions came in around 97/98 (Is there anyone else on the forum who frequented that establishment back then?) I think the majority of people thought that was it for the SNK machine, and we’d never need to ever go back to expensive, space consuming carts - A CD and a 1 Meg ram expansion gave exactly the same experience. Obviously.
I bought my 2nd AES in Feb 2000 – boxed with 20 games for £150 (That slightly made up for me selling my 1st one to CEX in 1994 for £100 and a couple of Amiga games :(), and you could get the “common” titles quite easily for minimal effort in the early 2000s from Ebay, Loot, small ads, etc. Most of my collection is from then – the prices to replace now are simply untenable for me to pay.
From memory, prices seemed to spike for all things SNK when the Pocket was recalled in summer 2000 (there was a big scramble at the time for stock clearance on that console, and many of the titles entered the rarity folklore) and this had a knock on for the related series’ AES games. I certainly remember the £350 days for Slug 1 and thinking that was a “no go”, and I can’t recall that ever dropping in the 16 years since.
“Retro”’s also entered the mainstream gaming conscience since then, which has seen knock on price rises for almost everything a couple of generations or so behind the current systems (Try rebuilding a NES or original Gameboy boxed/complete cart collection, for example, and check out some of the prices being asked for what were once common titles.)
Last year’s 25th anniversary’s put the spotlight on Neo again, so there’s another bump for the prices as people enter the scene to find out more about the original hardware. I’d expect this year’s focus on 20th anni’ for MSlug will also see prices rise again for those games as more people are introduced to the series.
I haven’t kept track of MVS prices. I wish I’d been looking out for those from day 1, but I believed (foolishly) for a long while that I’d have a chance one day with getting the games I wanted on AES. I cracked last year and got a converter for CSword2, and it’s one of the best purchases made - there are still a few bargains to be had (relatively speaking in comparison to AES) with some of the common titles if you’re not too precious on box, instructions, etc but do want original carts. AES just looks out of sight for me now and that includes conversions.

ChrisB

Another Striker
Not sure about new but 2nd hand games were very cheap in the mid to late 90s in the UK, especially around when the Playstation came out. This continued into the early 2000s. By today's ridiculous standards, many games were still relatively cheap in 2010, hell even 2013 :lolz:

Interesting.. that figures as my friends who wanted a neo geo never got round to owning one they just moved on to pc and playstation stuff so yeah makes sense that they would have been cheap but I just never knew this was the case until now.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, the absolutely insane prices of all things Neo (as well and most other 16 bit games) is a relatively recent thing. It's caused by all these new collectors entering the market buying everything they can regardless of the price and not waiting on deals so the prices keep going up, up, up.

ChrisB

Another Striker
UK 2nd hand prices were probably at their lowest around the late 90s/turn of the millennium. I seem to recall Computer Exchange at Tottenham Court Road dumping much of their stock for near peanuts as the Saturn /PS1 conversions came in around 97/98 (Is there anyone else on the forum who frequented that establishment back then?) I think the majority of people thought that was it for the SNK machine, and we’d never need to ever go back to expensive, space consuming carts - A CD and a 1 Meg ram expansion gave exactly the same experience. Obviously.
I bought my 2nd AES in Feb 2000 – boxed with 20 games for £150 (That slightly made up for me selling my 1st one to CEX in 1994 for £100 and a couple of Amiga games :(), and you could get the “common” titles quite easily for minimal effort in the early 2000s from Ebay, Loot, small ads, etc. Most of my collection is from then – the prices to replace now are simply untenable for me to pay.
From memory, prices seemed to spike for all things SNK when the Pocket was recalled in summer 2000 (there was a big scramble at the time for stock clearance on that console, and many of the titles entered the rarity folklore) and this had a knock on for the related series’ AES games. I certainly remember the £350 days for Slug 1 and thinking that was a “no go”, and I can’t recall that ever dropping in the 16 years since.
“Retro”’s also entered the mainstream gaming conscience since then, which has seen knock on price rises for almost everything a couple of generations or so behind the current systems (Try rebuilding a NES or original Gameboy boxed/complete cart collection, for example, and check out some of the prices being asked for what were once common titles.)
Last year’s 25th anniversary’s put the spotlight on Neo again, so there’s another bump for the prices as people enter the scene to find out more about the original hardware. I’d expect this year’s focus on 20th anni’ for MSlug will also see prices rise again for those games as more people are introduced to the series.
I haven’t kept track of MVS prices. I wish I’d been looking out for those from day 1, but I believed (foolishly) for a long while that I’d have a chance one day with getting the games I wanted on AES. I cracked last year and got a converter for CSword2, and it’s one of the best purchases made - there are still a few bargains to be had (relatively speaking in comparison to AES) with some of the common titles if you’re not too precious on box, instructions, etc but do want original carts. AES just looks out of sight for me now and that includes conversions.

Thanks for the reply, very interesting stuff there. AES with 20 games for £150, even with inflation today that's one hell of a steal :)

ChrisB

Another Striker
Yeah, the absolutely insane prices of all things Neo (as well and most other 16 bit games) is a relatively recent thing. It's caused by all these new collectors entering the market buying everything they can regardless of the price and not waiting on deals so the prices keep going up, up, up.

Yeah just going to push up the prices even further, I had my eye on a couple of aes games saw a very nice last blade 2 jap go for £400 and AOF 3 fetch £280. I mean I love gaming but prices are just too rich for me.