Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
This game definitely deserves its own thread, coming out next week and all. The only review I've seen so far was a 8.5 by Nintendo Power.

I haven't been playing games much recently, but I plan on picking this up if its as good as Dual Strike.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Weevus said:
This game definitely deserves its own thread, coming out next week and all. The only review I've seen so far was a 8.5 by Nintendo Power.

I haven't been playing games much recently, but I plan on picking this up if its as good as Dual Strike.

Even though I'm still trying to get through AW2 on the GBA, I'll pick it up. Can't say enough good things about this series. I can still remember playing through the first AW in college. Good times.

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
Shit, I don't even play games anymore, but I'm there for this!

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
i wouldn't trust a review for a nintendo game in an nintendo magazine.
i'm interested in this though. i thought it already came out since i seen mag
ads for it already.

Kristoff

Another Striker
I almost made a thread for this game yesterday, but got caught up with work.

I'll be picking it up for sure.

I love that it's now got a Mad Max apocolyptic look to it. And the new zoomed in look for the battle animations look great! I also like that they dropped the Dual Co-op moves from DS. They were fun, but a little over done I thought.

The best part is that we can play Wi-fi matches. Looking forward to a few matches with you guys!

djdelly

Teh Mizzle
Can't wait! I'll be picking it up the day it comes out and my DS will get some love again.... AW: DS was the last game I really enjoyed for the DS.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Kristoff said:
I almost made a thread for this game yesterday, but got caught up with work.

I'll be picking it up for sure.

I love that it's now got a Mad Max apocolyptic look to it. And the new zoomed in look for the battle animations look great! I also like that they dropped the Dual Co-op moves from DS. They were fun, but a little over done I thought.

The best part is that we can play Wi-fi matches. Looking forward to a few matches with you guys!

I agree about the Dual Strike moves. Just the fact that it gave you two turns in a row was pretty cheap. Also agree with dj that the first one was the most fun I've had with my DS since Castlevania.

Kristoff

Another Striker
So apparently the game shipped yesterday and should be found in GameStop this afternoon.

I'm going to swing by and try to pick up a copy later today. Anyone else jumping on the wagon early?

WiFi matches = yesplease.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Just called Best Buy and they have them in. On my way to battle rush hour traffic to get this game.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
So far so good. I'm on the fourth mission after less than an hour into it. I'll probably try the Wi-fi later tonight.

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
Weevus said:
So far so good. I'm on the fourth mission after less than an hour into it. I'll probably try the Wi-fi later tonight.

Do they make you play through the lame tutorial missions like the other games? As much as I like this series I can't stand how they throw a bunch of training maps at you for the first 30 minutes.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Mr.Nemoperson said:
Do they make you play through the lame tutorial missions like the other games? As much as I like this series I can't stand how they throw a bunch of training maps at you for the first 30 minutes.

Yeah. Basically tradition at this point.
I'm still enjoying the game a lot though. The story seems a lot more bleak, but it's still completely AW through and through. I like the idea of units 'leveling up' when they kill off enemies. This is just a very well made series, pretty much the Hot Shots Golf of turn-based strategy.

I need to score a copy of Dual Strike.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
I'm a bit hesitant to play this because I want to finish up AW2 and AWDS, but the wi-fi option mixed with the other new abilities might be a little too much to pass up. :crying:

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Loopz said:
Yeah. Basically tradition at this point.
I'm still enjoying the game a lot though. The story seems a lot more bleak, but it's still completely AW through and through. I like the idea of units 'leveling up' when they kill off enemies. This is just a very well made series, pretty much the Hot Shots Golf of turn-based strategy.

I need to score a copy of Dual Strike.

I totally agree about the leveling up part. The tutorials don't really bother me too much either. If you haven't played Dual Strike you really should, but it seems to be hard to find these days.

Pocketgamer

Ukyo's Doctor
15 Year Member
Picked it up yesterday and it is the second to last copy should be sold out by now. Good thing for this game I had already reserved it, how is it looking everywhere else, Are you guys having trouble finding Days of Ruin?

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
Does this have a hot seat mode where you can pass a system back and forth to play against someone else? I thought the the last version had this feature.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
God dammit...I need to get this game.

Intelligent Systems uber alles...:buttrock:

Kunai

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Dammit...

I want... :(

So, it is a brand-new storyline, right? I like the character illustrations for the game.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Kunai said:
Dammit...

I want... :(

So, it is a brand-new storyline, right? I like the character illustrations for the game.

Yessir, entirely new. Great music again too.
That's a sexy new av, even though you retired Ninja Kun.
:mr_t:

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Snair said:
How is the online? Can you use voice chat with anyone from the get go?

I haven't been able to figure out the voice chat. Only played one online match against a random person. Pretty damn fun though.

There's one training mission that's killing me right now. It went to day 40 before I just gave up. My friend code is 094613-643612. I'll put it in my sig.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
koll. i'll pick this up.
don't think i'll play online though.
i mean, the matches are way too long half the time.

Lime2K

Host for Orochi
the game limits the online matches to a certain number of days.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
I picked my copy up last night and am loving it. Although I'm having to learn the new units and abilities, it's a blast. Here's my friend code for those of you who want to battle.

BTW: Does anyone know how the hell to talk over this thing? The manual says I can turn the option on in a menu, but I've searched through the whole game and can't find the option.