About those yellow warnind labels on the front of aes/mvs carts

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
Is there a set list of games that had or didn't have them? Because it seems quite random.. I have a bunch of MVS carts and about half of them have it.. perhaps the older ones didn't have it?

I have Fatal Fury Special for AES and that doesn't have one.. I really hate it especially when they are missing from AES carts.. they look kind of bare :annoyed:

edit: damn my typos.. meant "warning labels"

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Warning labels were only introduced in the mid to late 90s. Early games won't have the warning labels. For example, KOF 94 and 95 don't have the warning label, but starting with 96, KOF games had the warning label. Games produced after SNK's closure in 2001 won't have the warning sticker either.

vasilas432

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Is there a set list of games that had or didn't have them? Because it seems quite random.. I have a bunch of MVS carts and about half of them have it.. perhaps the older ones didn't have it?

I have Fatal Fury Special for AES and that doesn't have one.. I really hate it especially when they are missing from AES carts.. they look kind of bare :annoyed:

edit: damn my typos.. meant "warning labels"
Hi mate! Indeed it would be nice to have a list. It is really annoying to own carts that should have it but it is gone!
I can confirm these games:
King of the Monsters jap none
King of he Monsters 2 jap none
Metal Slug 3 jpn 1st run yes
Samurai Spirits IV jap yes

EDIT: the above are AES games

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Hi mate! Indeed it would be nice to have a list. It is really annoying to own carts that should have it but it is gone!

I just sold a Metal Slug 3 3rd run cart to a member here and I can't for the life of me remember if it had a warning sticker on the MVS cart or not. My 1st run, encrypted version, definitely does, but I don't know if the third run had it... That was a hard cart to give up, but man, my 1st run I've had since Dec 28, 2000. I know, because it's the cart that got me to register here. I couldn't give that baby up... ;)

Last edited:

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
I don't think any soft case games had the warning labels. They stopped being applied actually before SNK closed. For example, Metal Slug 3 and Sengoku 3 US don't have gold labels, but are SNK games. KOF 2000 US has no gold warning label, but KOF 2000 Jpn does. Metal Slug 3 first run Jpn has the warning label, I think the second run does not have the label.

EDIT - I am just talking AES carts. Sorry about the confusion!

Last edited:

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
I see.. so it is quite random then.. and its a case of most games inbetween kof 96 and metal slug 4? Im pretty sure I saw a metal slug 4 (aes) with the sticker.. could be wrong though

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey

It would be a LOONG list but quite useful all the same! I guess we should just document it ourselves for now..

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
If you're unsure if it's supposed to have a warning label or not a good indicator is to check the Cart Pics section on this site, link somewhere to the <----- left of this!

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
If you're unsure if it's supposed to have a warning label or not a good indicator is to check the Cart Pics section on this site, link somewhere to the <----- left of this!

Good call mate, didn't think of that.. welcome back btw :p

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
For example, Metal Slug 3 and Sengoku 3 US don't have gold labels, but are SNK games.

dsc05946l.jpg

Label is authentic.

Or, are you talking about AES carts?

I wonder what the first game to have the warning sticker was...

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Specification on the particular format should be encouraged, reduces confusion.

Weird how Metal Slug 3 US AES has no warning sticker though.

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
dsc05946l.jpg

Label is authentic.

I think he's talking about AES carts.

I'm sure the first one for MVS is around about NGH 93 (Neo Bomberman), with the start of some English labelled carts having laminated/holo labels around NGH 200 (Neo Turf Masters)

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
I figured SNK would use the same practice over both AES/MVS formats.. no such luck I guess.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
dsc05946l.jpg

Label is authentic.

Judging by that serial number that should be a third run, third board revision, MVS cart as well, in 2001. Do you have the one dark and one clear pcb board on the bottom?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
What is the difference in the Metal Slug 3 MVS runs?

Board revision changes, from what I can tell. The first version used a custom set of ROMs and the UNIBIOS simply shows a CRC for the first bank and -custom- for the rest. The second revision used the mini-flash pcb soldered to the board and an EPROM M1 chip. The third revision was on the 2001 board set (that clear PCB) and doesn't use the Neo SMA chip to decode between the program ROMs. Running a CRC in the UNIBIOS shows a completely different CRC for bank one, and the other banks generate CRCs now (don't read -custom- anymore). With the second revision having an M1 change it's possible there were some minor sound tweaks done, and perhaps some program tuning, but I couldn't see or hear any differences when I had both version 1 and version 3 in the same cab. Honestly, if there are differences they are very subtle and probably not worth noting.

vasilas432

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Judging by that serial number that should be a third run, third board revision, MVS cart as well, in 2001. Do you have the one dark and one clear pcb board on the bottom?
Different colors has Metal Slug X. Metal Slug 3 has all green. For the AES at least.

Last edited:

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
Thanks. I have revision 2 and 3 then. Haven't noticed any differences yet

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I don't think any soft case games had the warning labels. They stopped being applied actually before SNK closed. For example, Metal Slug 3 and Sengoku 3 US don't have gold labels, but are SNK games. KOF 2000 US has no gold warning label, but KOF 2000 Jpn does. Metal Slug 3 first run Jpn has the warning label, I think the second run does not have the label.

Interesting about the KoF 2000 carts. I was just checking out all of my carts and I have 2000 MVS US and it has no warning label.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I figured SNK would use the same practice over both AES/MVS formats.. no such luck I guess.

Well, SNK was known for their inconcistency, e.g AoF 3 on Jpn home cart. The 1st run didn't come with the gold warning sticker, but the second one did.