About owning only one console/system.

Cnidarian

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I was pondering this myself, and would like to know everyone else's opinion on the matter.

As far as games go, I can't remember any time in my life that I have only owned one game system or console, I always had at least two or three.

I can't even imagine having just one system to play all the time, the lack of variety would surely cause me to give up on gaming alltogether.
Even though I'm a console enthusiast at heart, I believe the same can apply for arcade cabs as well. I have never seen anyone with only one form of gaming, ever.

(Unless you don't have anything downloaded on your drive to play, the computer counts as well).

So, is there anyone here who has devoted all their time and money on only one home system/arcade machine? Or still is? What was it like?

Right now, I only play my Aes and Genesis, so the thought has crossed my mind...

<small>[ March 01, 2003, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Cnidarian ]</small>

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Yea,I know several people who only own one system.
When they see all mine they think I'm nuts..

madyorkie

Rugal's Thug
When i was a teenager in the 80's i only had an atari 2600 video console,and that cost a fortune second hand as well, it wasnt til i left school and started work in 85 that i was able to buy my own consoles and computers, instead of my mum n dad having to pay. The first computer i bought my self was a spectrum(The best games machine in the universe),since then i got just about every new console that came out, though i still not got an xbox and i think my gamecube was a waste of money,but at the mo i use me neo geo most,with the odd game on mame and always make time for a speccy sesh, 3d death chase......the best game ever created!!!!!!!

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
I was thinking about this same problem as well.

I'm moving to Tokyo soon, and my apartment is going to be much smaller than the one I have now. I have four systems: Neo-Geo AES, PS2, DC, and Saturn. Some of them are going to have to go into storage.

I thought about only bringing the Neo, but then I can't watch DVD's.

And if I don't bring the DC, I can't play all the really great SNK and CAPCOM games that came out on that system.

The only thing I can live without is the Saturn, and even then, I'm not too happy about that.

What's a guy to do?

S

snkneogeousaCTH

modded xbox + 120gb hd modded + thousands of teh romz stored on the harddrive

lol lol

But seriously, I guess you could do that if you owned all the games.

Cnidarian

Over Top Auto Mechanic
What's a guy to do?
So many game companies, so many choices...*sigh*

It really feels impossible to choose just one, and its neccessary to have all those different companies competing with one another.

Because company competition = better games.

I forgot to mention, at one time I had:

NES, gameboy, Genesis, Megadrive(JP), Saturn, PSX, Dreamcast, and PS2.

(These were all after the Atari and Commodore 64 games).

Now, I've managed to "trim down" my collection to just three consoles: PS2, Genesis/Megadrive, and NeoGeo AES.

I play all three routinely, but any less does not feel possible to me!

Q

qube

I just traded my PS2 to Saturn Gamer and I'm already thinking about getting another one :( I don't know if it is even possible to survive without at least 3 or 4 systems. I can honestly say that I use at least 7 or 8 systems on a weekly basis. Kind of sad huh?

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
simply it's the PS2.

during each generation, I focus in one system only and get the must-have games in the other systems.

it goes like this:

NES: the only system in it's time

SNES: even thogh we started with Mega Drive, we completly dumped it after getting SNES but still we bought all the must-have games in sega's system (mainly RPGs)

NEO-GEO: what happened to Mega Drive happened to SNES as well after getting the NEO

PSOne: this stayed on the top for a long time and no other system could ditch (we had the Saturn and N64) it untill the ........

PS2: I consider it nearly perfect (now that castelvania will be there .......... let's hope it's gonna rock).

my focus now is on the PS2 (I have all the other systems as well). I spend most my spare time (and money crying ) with it and there is still a big number of games I want to play

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
nope.

hell i have like 25+

i dont want to list em all because i dont want this thread to turn into a dick measuring thread.

sometims i only use one. usually dreamcast or somethin.

and sometimes i got crazy (usually on weekends) and play like every system i gots.

if i had to have only 2 (barring emuz and stuff on dc and xbox) theyd be dreamcast and saturn.

if i could only have one, i think id go crazy :p

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
As far as the current generation of systems go (Xbox/PS2/GCN), I only have the Xbox. Frankly, there really aren't that many compelling games for me to buy. Sure there are a few games on each platform I would love to play, but they aren't really worth it to get a system over, IMO. I only bought an xbox b/c it was pretty good value (I have always wanted to get JSRF) and Steel Battalion was too cool for me to passup.

But before that, I have almost everything under the sun. I still play my Neo and Saturn religiously (I just finished Shining the Holy Ark, what an awesome game). And I have dived into collecting some Sega Genesis games lately.

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
For me I've technically owned multiple systems since I got an NES (I already had a TI-99/4A) but with each gaming 'era' there's been one system that's my primary system. I break it down like this for me:

83-87 TI 99/4A
87-91 NES
92-95 Super NES
97-99 Playstation
99-2001 Dreamcast
2001-Present toss-up between Playstation2 and Neo Geo

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
I suppose if you put a gun to my head and asked me to choose only one I'd say the Neo, but that's because I see it less as a system and more as a hobby.

How about you guys? If you were forced to choose one, which one would it be?

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
In response to the previous post... If I had to choose just one system, I think I'd go with the Saturn. It's tough, but yeah. The reason is that it has so many good shooters and arcade games including some decent SNK ports. The Metal Slug port is pretty well done I've heard, the Twinkle Star Sprites port is amazing, and it just has an overall great selection. Radiant Silvergun, Layer Section, etc...

<small>[ March 02, 2003, 02:20 AM: Message edited by: dmhawkmoon ]</small>

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
If I had to choose one, I'd choose the Playstation. For it's Capcom/SNK fighters, Konami classics, RPGs (which include some of the best SNES RPGs), adventure, shit.. The Playstation is the system for me.

Cnidarian

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Hmm, forced to choose one?

Well if its currently, for me I guess it would be a tie between the PS2 and the Neo Geo.

If I had a very large library of games for the Neo, I'd be set, because they are the classic ones that never grow old. Plus I have an affinity for cartridges...

But for the PS2, thanks to the dvd player and backwards compatibility, you have so many options there... Double the library of games, and the ability to watch movies.

It's a tough choice, but whichever one I can get the most games for is the one I would choose. And not just any games, but the ones I love to play of course.

=====================

Ah, my original post was a little vague. I only meant for us gamers, and not about the industry or whatever else.

For game systems/companies, there can never be one, and as long as people crave variety there never will.

And you want to keep up with the times, with each new leap forward in technology. Unless the system you have can be upgraded infinitely...

The world would be pretty generic and boring with just one of everything. Oh well... Back to the topic!

<small>[ March 02, 2003, 02:58 AM: Message edited by: Cnidarian ]</small>

biocat

Kula's Candy
I've actually thought seriously about getting rid of some of my systems or at least putting them into storage. I just don't have the time I used to have to play video games. I wish I did but I don't. Besides, nowadays I can't play a game for more than an hour. It just makes me feel like a lush and wish that I was outside doing something productive.

Anyway, if I could only choose one, I guess it would have to be my Neo cab since I play LB2 and KOF2k2 with my housemates a bunch and delivers fun in small bite-size amounts. But I also love my PC Engine and play that second to my neo. I guess I play my PS2 just about everyday (which would be more than my PC Engine), but that's only because of DDRMax (which, for some reason, I don't consider much of a video game).

I don't know, if I had to pick two it would be my PC Engine and my Neo. If I had to pick one and I lived in a small apartment with no housemates, I would pick my PC Engine. If I lived in the house I'm in now and could only choose one, I suppose it would be the Neo. :)