About ARCADE! conversions

grimeka

NEST Puppet
Hi.
I have some questions about the conversions made for ARCADE!
Who made this conversions?
How many ARCADE! conversions are there? How many units of each conversion?
When these conversions were made?
And if someone have more info about these conversions, please, tell me..

Thx!

EDIT:
My interest is specifically for the titles that had an MVS only release! were the 26 titles converted by !ARCADE! or just a few!

quantities for each title released would help too if someone knows!

I will appreciate precise information! this is a research on an ongoing project for a book in Spanish!

Last edited:
who cares how many conversions where made, ray can make more if he wants to. No point in that information.

SSS

neo retired
Interestingly enough all were NGF licensed. So that makes them offcial.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
who cares how many conversions where made, ray can make more if he wants to. No point in that information.

Jesus man, take it down a notch.
It's not like the OP was asking anything truly outrageous.
Besides, I don't think Ray will ever be bothering with the neo geo ever again.

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
They were usually made on special boards made by or for !ARCADE!, how perfectly these work tends to be subject to some people's interpretation.

I have read on here a few years ago about a Strikers 1945 PLUS conversion by !ARCADE! where a person stated they had issues with it til they had another person move the chips from these custom boards into some genuine SNK made boards, after which there was never an issue again. Others had said in the same thread they hadnt had an issue with their particular cart.

I also saw someone state that it would be wise to stay away from their Super Dodge Ball conversion, for reasons they did not go into, why that is i dont know.

Here is another thread: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?150677-Strikers-1945-Plus-Conversion-by-Arcade

And heres a pic of the custom boards:
cartw.jpg

grimeka

NEST Puppet
My interest is specifically for the titles that had an MVS only release! were the 26 titles converted by !ARCADE! or just a few!

I will appreciate precise information! this is a research on an ongoing project for a book in Spanish!

snkino

n00b
Hi.
I have some questions about the conversions made for ARCADE!
Who made this conversions?
How many ARCADE! conversions are there? How many units of each conversion?
When these conversions were made?
And if someone have more info about these conversions, please, tell me..

Thx!

EDIT:

my first exprience with the neo-geo conversion games start way back to 1992. first i went with my friend to video connection in ventura blvd ca . they carry massive collection of mvs cart and must of our early games like nam 75- crossed sword- blues journey each for only 25$ but if you want to make conversion you have to go to mas system

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
we had a brief conversation this morning about his research! all he wants to know is not who can convert but information about the conversions that were released by arcade! back in the day! actual info of the people who bought them like the price in those days, presentation, quality of stickers and inserts, if there was a manual enclosed and if it was translated! but for all the games that didn't have an AES release! it's only a journalistic approach not a business matter so if anyone haves this info and wants to share it in public or a PM to grimeka please do so!

any help is greatly appreciated!

grimeka

NEST Puppet
we had a brief conversation this morning about his research! all he wants to know is not who can convert but information about the conversions that were released by arcade! back in the day! actual info of the people who bought them like the price in those days, presentation, quality of stickers and inserts, if there was a manual enclosed and if it was translated! but for all the games that didn't have an AES release! it's only a journalistic approach not a business matter so if anyone haves this info and wants to share it in public or a PM to grimeka please do so!

any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your help, my friend!

Zellez

King's Dry Cleaner
I was browsing yesterday a french forum where the OP was complaining about its 1945 striker conversion from Arcade!.
You can see here the pics here

http://www.neogeofans.com/leforum/showthread.php?t=41543

What a mess the soldering on the back of the boards... How did that happen?

i'm not too sure about that one. i seem to remember that they sacced ms3 and kof99 carts just to make one stikers conversion.

You can convert Strikers with kof99 (or MS3) + Samu3 (or FF3 or KoF95 or other games that use a PROGBK1 board). There's no point in using MS3 and kof99.
Anyway there are a lot of pics around where !Arcade! made custom boards are shown, so these definitely exist and were used.

he had the board epoxied before applying the roms, it just looks unprofessional, doesn´t change anything on the functional side.

Zellez

King's Dry Cleaner
he had the board epoxied before applying the roms, it just looks unprofessional, doesn´t change anything on the functional side.

Ah, so it's epoxy. Didn't realize it from the pictures and thought it was some bad soldering.
Anyway isn't epoxy used on boards and such supposed to stand the heat from hot tin?

DavidG

I looked at those images and someone has really messed with those carts. I have taken a strikers apart and you do see the usual crap left behind from the solder they use but the connections are clean and consistant.

When someone has the tools to remove and resolder all those SMT chips and do it well then you flip the board and it looks like a chimp went at it with a radio shack soldering iron....something is wrong.

I will post a picture of what it really looks like later on.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Maybe when the demand got higher he had someone else do the soldering.

amaradona

Kabuki Klasher
According to the french owner,the game doesn't work anymore.
Anyway,I am agree with Xian...I believe the soldering was made by a beginner.

Zellez

King's Dry Cleaner
Not KOF 95, unless you have an extra LS74 chip you can add to the BK1, cause KOF 95 doesnt have it.

you could always use the one on the MVS board since you might not need it anyway (that depends on what you are planning to do with the boards, of course)
Anyway the LS74 is responsible for some of the audio effects right?

Last edited:

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Its so much easier to just select the right cart to begin with, KOF 96 is easy to get without a case, and cheap. You could dick around changing that surface mount chip off the MVS board and onto the AES board, but with 96 being the same price or way cheaper if you get it with no case and book, you dont need either, cause you buy a KOF 99 with a case and if you can find one with no book again, youre set. If you can get KOF 99 with a case but no book, you save quite abit of cash there, since youre using two games to make one, you only need one case, and unless you need the manuals for those games, you dont need them for the game youre going to make.

I re-use all the MVS boards. I do much prefer to do ROM chip only swap if i can, which i can do really quickly. I dont mind doing a few jumpers, that is pretty normal to have to do, but i always avoid moving surface mount chips.

grimeka

NEST Puppet
Does anyone have pics of the !arcade! conversions games Ganryu and Super Dodgeball?

Thx

if it does not work, someone tried to repair it by re-flowing / adding more solder. Explains the lousy soldering after epoxying the board.

someone with a little more proficiency could definitely fix it.

Aldynes

n00b
I have a converted Prehistoric Isle 2 by !Arcade! The insert and instruction manual are of high quality. You can kind of tell where they cut and pasted images from other manuals to pull this one together but still well done. The game itself runs very well with no sound distortions or graphic glitches. I have a wedding to go to this weekend but when I get back next week I'll post some pictures for you.