A Totally Fresh KOF.? yes NO?.....any ideas guys?

GunstarHeroblack

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Every year we are introduced to another game of this fighting series....In my opinion the series peaked at 98' and since then its had some interesting combos / moves from characters and all, but the story has kinda droned a bit , dont get me wrong I love KOF- But man I still see a couple of sprites from 95-96 in there...maybe for the 10th anniversary of the game they should do a major graphical overhaul again as they did in 96,(but for this they [hopefully not???]would have to change the game engine) to show how characters have evolved and matured (Mark of wolves Jaehoon and Dong -let Kim take a rest out) , some new fighters, new outfits, fighting stances like and a new storyline with some better designed characters- not totally taking all of the good characters out, as in Disasters as SF3, keep the majority in- like old new ratio: 60/40........(no more "mutated" characters/or fairy charcters, but those with special powers that are a little more based on actual fighting styles) recruit Fighters/Charcaters that have been dormant for YEARS (EIJI) from other SNK games maybe as whole new teams overall Eg: Kizuna enconter team - but at the same time maintaining a proper balance Fighting /humour..
Playmore needs a swift kick in the ass for Character design and background develpment, Man they suck in that department.(Bao and hinako/ Seth,Ramon, Lucky, Brian- and there are others they could do without) Maybe as more people in this forum have mentioned a new KOF"Idol" character in it as well maybe a feature or an option in the game such as a Tag feature, as in the Marvel/capcom series, to at least give THE KING of FIGHTERS a fresh new feeling as we had back in the day. .................................All in all as the saying goes: "if it aint broke dont fix it!!"...then at the same time you dont wanna be "BEATING a Dead horse"

Kaioh

Sakura's Bank Manager
I'd love to see a new KOF with other characters from the AOF games like Lee. I'd like to see Kizuna Encounter characters as playable and not Strikers (KOF'00).

the_colonel

Fio's Quartermaster
7/. First they need to recreate all characters basic attacks, or about 80% of them to give the game an all new fresh feel to its characters.
Then i would create a system called "delay or fake", what it does is for some moves, even basic or dm's, you can do them but hold the button & the move will be delayed alittle, if you charge the move fully it will gain greater damage & even tick damage (for the basics that is), or instead of charging the attacks you can cancel it by pulling the joystick in any direction then pushing anyother button. Fakes just cancel the move you where going to do.

-Delaying moves drains your power gauge & when you cancel it, it becomes a waist of energy.

-It would be useful for doing tick damage with certain attacks. This will make you appreciate standing up instead of getting knocked down & recieving different types of tick damage all the time

-The tick damage will chip off 2 or more bits of energy.
Its just a random idea i thought of, i've got about 30k of info for kof that i've cut & pasted as some are good idears that could be added to any kof series, i've posted it to snk/playmore & as it grows, i'll continue in giving out my idears. This is just one of the other 15 or so.

the_colonel

Fio's Quartermaster
Here's my personel faverate, its a new 4v4 system.

4/. New 4 vs 4 style.

Here's my idear on having 4 vs 4, but you fight in 2 seperate teams, like this e.g
i pick kyo, beni, robert & mary, i then brake them into 2 teams of 2 characters, kyo, robert & beni, mary.
If kyo beats both opponents then the game ends as i beat both there first 2 players with only one of mine. There other team is disqualified because of there team mates lack of fight in them.
If kyo wins & then there team member wins, then they stay in the game & the decider of the first match is on these (roberts) first team last characters. The winner gets the first match point.

Then its the second teams fighters turn to fight. But here's the catch, the team that won the first match has the advantage as if there first fighter wins the first round of the new match, then they win & do not need fight there last member as they won the first match point.
Whilst the other team must win this second match first round to get a chance to either win the second character (which is mary) or they can lose so that there last member can be used upon mary.

I know its hard to understand but when you do, this system would be superb. Basically your first characters of both teams should be your strongest fighters, as if you can win the very first round in both matches, then you have the biggest advantages to win, & you may only have to fight 3 characters instead of 4.

To cut it short its the first to win 2 strait victories wins.

Also here's another striker system which is pretty fair.

I would keep the 4 on 4 striker system but i would use it like this.
The striker system will be activated only when you press BCD, but you will loose 2 power stocks and what happends is that your character who is fighting will give up & be replaced by the striker. The striker will just be like an extra fighter, but you can only use once a match, its basically a way to rid someone of his/her best character, trouble is if the striker is defeated then you loose the strikers round, so you may end up loosing 2 characters in no time at all. So what you have to do is build up another 2 stocks while the striker is fighting (or build 3 so it makes it easier for him) so he can also give up (BCD AGAIN TO GIVE UP) when he's had his turn in draining the opponents energy. If the striker is not defeated & he manages to give up whilst still alive, then the team's original fighter will jump back in with a small energy boost to try to claim the victory. But if the striker gets beaten, then he will qualify for one of his teams original 3 characters, meaning the round will be counted as a knockout & because the character before the striker gave up as well, meaning they both gave up, results in 2 characters being defeated in one sitting, so you must watch your stock & energy meter closly.
Its just like having an extra fighter at the cost of many stocks. Its best not to use the striker to produce dm's unless you are sure you can finish off the opponent. If you cant finish your opponent & your struggling, you should use your stocks & try to build them to give up, so you don't loose your strikers round & you inflict damage to you enemy, it would be used alot more than kof 99/2000 counter & amour modes anyway.

<small>[ September 06, 2003, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: the_colonel ]</small>

MyLastCryForYou

Zero's Secretary
Wow all you guys have some great ideas.Although i think Snk/Playmore needs to move on to new hardware.The game will feel a lot more fresh if it ran on more superior hardware.Because of the limited memory and processing power of the Neo.Sacrifices have to be made each and everytime they make a new KOF or any game on that hardware.They try so hard to push the system to its limits,but it can only go so far.But the results we end up with in the end are recycled graphics,sound and gameplay.No matter how hard they try to make the game engine fresh,it always seems to feel the same.

the_colonel

Fio's Quartermaster
They may have been alittle lazy in terms of creating many new sprites but the gameplay they created in the last two kof's are un beatable, they are so different & kof 02 has its fair share of new moves.

Kof 03 is what its all coming down too, but what if they make great gameplay adjustments like the last two kof's then i'm not complaining if they are big enough to make the game very different, i would like the new sprites in all, but to me, kof's sprites are the best out of any other 2d fighter out there anyway. 3rd strikes are good but they need alot more variety in there to compete with kof's.

I think they can do better spritesno problem, its just the more memory they use the more it costs them to make. I just hope playmore/snk allows the team to make games in the 900 megs mark, you will see what they can really do then.

SNK has allways been resticted to how much meg they can put in games, just think if they could create games with no restrictions, you know full well they would wipe the floor with any game company with ease, they are not really lazy, just restricted.

They do considerably well considering... don't you think.

orochi_lubu

Sho's Rival
fer starters bring some of the motw characters in. update the looks of some of the guys i.e. terry, ryo, ect. if possible put the motw graphics in kof series. and put terry back as the champ since he'll win the title in the near future

the_colonel

Fio's Quartermaster
It would be good for emulation resons, but they'll still get around it.

If they keep the features like 02 but improve upon them, 03 may have a chance, then again if they change 03 to something totally different then they may slow the game speed back down, thats what snk usually do, as they have yet to perfect the next installment.

I hope they change up the game completly whilst itroducing the new game engine, features & systems whilst they keep the gameplay rapid & hardcore.

Because they might start off 03 like 99, so they can improve on it, just like why svc has not got the 4 jumps of kof when the game really needs them.

S

Simbob4000

fer starters bring some of the motw characters in. update the looks of some of the guys i.e. terry, ryo, ect. if possible put the motw graphics in kof series. and put terry back as the champ since he'll win the title in the near future
It would be stuped to have Terry in the main role in the KoF game's the only time i could have seen him in the main role or at lest a bigger role was
after NESTS blow out southtown. And i don't think Terry wins in MotW i think it's Rock

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
Well, at this point I don't have any clue on what to wish for. However, I do know that KoF is losing its nostalgic feeling, and at the same time once it goes mainstream it will hit new grounds, new fans, and new standards. Us the retrogamers, will face new challenges by accepting that our beloved company will no longer support old school style gaming. I am in favor of any SNK game as long as it doesn't suck as 2001. So any new innovations are welcome. I'll edit this later.

Darren

n00b
For a start

1)I would like to see new hardware.

2)Proper voice actors (must have american & english voices spot on.... and end to engrish at last!!)

3)A New KOF possible set after the MOTW time line

4)some teams/Characters included in my new KOF:

Japan team - Shingo, Goro's son and Moe
New FF - Rock, Hokotomaru and Dong hwan
AOF - Marco, Mr.karate and new student (female)
Psychic soldiers - Bao, Athena and Kensou
Korean/justice - Jhun, Jae hwan and May lee
Ikari - Leona and two new officers

any other ideas on characters to include?

ray_7

I thought the next KoF will be based on that new hardware, Atomiswave?

Giby

Disciple Of Orochi
ray_7 said:
I thought the next KoF will be based on that new hardware, Atomiswave?

2003 will be on MVS hardware, the KOF after 2003 will be based on Sammy's new Atomiswave.

ray_7

Master Giby said:
2003 will be on MVS hardware, the KOF after 2003 will be based on Sammy's new Atomiswave.

Ow, I see!

Thanks for that clearing that up.

That means 2003 is the last year for recycled sprite...:D

Giby

Disciple Of Orochi
ray_7 said:
Ow, I see!

Thanks for that clearing that up.

That means 2003 is the last year for recycled sprite...:D

You never know, SNKP just might use all of the characters from all of the previous KOF's and still use their old sprites. :loco:

ray_7

Yeah that could be a possibility as well, it's been their habit since 1994!!!:eek: