(a thousand ways to beat a dead horse:) SOR1/Bare KNuckle is the best in the series by far

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Love the sound track of 3. Just as good as 2 if not better refined.

Whoa wait. There's a few good songs in there, but nothing like sor2. I HATE how shitty the sound effects and general animation/look of 3 turned out as. And the use of English in the US game is so gross. So much went wrong with it when so much went right with sor2. It's almost as if sor2 was an accident. It's just so damn good.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
i quite like final fight 2, although it's not as good as the first, still a solid beat em' up. but what's your opinion on final fight 3?.
I can't deny that FF3 is interesting and somewhat cool. it's a game that is more in line with what was going on with side scrollers at the time than with keeping the FF style alive, has more in common with SOR3 I find, than the first FF. In that regard I'm cool with it. thing is I'm mental about the first FF - in fact the other FF (Fatal Fury) and earlier Street Smart are in the same league. as far as recreating that fictional late 80s early 90s street vibe goes.
add to that possibly the most revolutionary control scheme ever for an arcade game - which subsequently became the basis for SF2 and you have the perfection of street fighting side scroller. it's the most fair, precise and demanding beat'em up I have ever played. it's a game of chess basically. and above all it's fun as hell, pure chaos and a feast of colours, sounds, pop culture, blood, sleaze and beefiness. I think it's a massive shame that Capcom didn't make a sequel for this or any other of it's incredible fighting games.
there I went again. shit I can't keep it to myself hah. I'm that nutter with the megaphone.
Final Fight 3 has nothing in relation to this. it has non of this cool. it's very much a console game. that's fine though. I just think games such as these are unnecessarily flashy. the first Final Fight is punishing but pushes you to build up your recourses - the way good japanese have always done with their best games. after this it was just flashiness and fireballs. I like the more stripped down approach

FF2 is like what Capcom liked to do on the SNES - they did it with Super Ghouls n Ghosts and here again. it's taylor made for the audience. I have trouble enjoying it aesthetically - it's kind of Disneyfied. but yeah at the heart of it as a fighting game it's not bad at all.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Yea, SOR deserves all the credit but SOR2 is the better game hands down. SOR2 is the most complete beat'm up I have ever played. Adam was my goto character in SOR1, wish they had kept him around for SOR2 but Axel had so many badass combos, no complaints.

Pretty much this. SoR1 is a super solid beat-em-up and I'd argue underrated by most folks but SoR2 is just a better game. More dense mechanically, better soundtrack (though 1's is still great), better sound fx (love the impact sounds when Axel hits with his f+Special attack) better looking (technically) and is everything a sequel should be (enhancing what was great about the first game and removing/tweaking the stuff that wasn't so great).

The screen clearing mechanic takes way too long in the first game, the characters have more limited move sets (which can be totally fine in beat-em-ups but SoR2's additions make sooo much sense) and the flipping bitches can eat a dick.

Only thing SoR1 has that's better is Adam over Skate. Skate blows.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Pretty much this. SoR1 is a super solid beat-em-up and I'd argue underrated by most folks but SoR2 is just a better game. More dense mechanically, better soundtrack (though 1's is still great), better sound fx (love the impact sounds when Axel hits with his f+Special attack) better looking (technically) and is everything a sequel should be (enhancing what was great about the first game and removing/tweaking the stuff that wasn't so great).

The screen clearing mechanic takes way too long in the first game, the characters have more limited move sets (which can be totally fine in beat-em-ups but SoR2's additions make sooo much sense) and the flipping bitches can eat a dick.

Only thing SoR1 has that's better is Adam over Skate. Skate blows.

Obviously, these are more than valid points of view, I can only disagree but do find the argumentation interesting.
you know what I want to ask you is - do you not feel that with so much power now available to the selected characters, they are greatly overpowered with regards to the mostly very dumb opponents? I would eventually get tired of hitting people in SOR2 and feel that there was something slightly off about the hit boxes. I can't seem to feel that all that power is warranted - once the gloss wears tyhrough, it's just too much. I used to love to pull off many of these moves, but looking back - punch kick jump kick and grab can be enough.
just to bring back Final Fight for a second. the enemy - character challenge, especially when they ganged up and each followed their distinct routine - was in my opinion, perfect.
with SOR1 it was a Double Dragon approach. with SOR2 it was about overkill - a game which came out post Street Fighter 2 and capitalized on what that game did with fighting moves. but it was about fun, not serious technical challenge (not saying the game was easy, I do think it was overlong and stopped providing enough variation after a while).
and also the character design - back then was interesting and even cool - but it hasn't stood the test of time in my opinion - selectable characters look better for the most part in the first part than they do in the second.
as I say, it's just about points of view so I appreciate the mostly SOR2 support from those posting.

edit:
here's something nice for all you fans for SOR2, you may have seen it already: http://www.soronline.net/sor2_bk2beta.htm

edit 2:
taken from wikipedia - anyone play this? sounds pretty awesome:

3D Streets of Rage 2 was developed by M2 as part of the 3D Classics series for the Nintendo 3DS. It was released on April 29, 2015 in Japan[1] and July 23, 2015 in North America, Europe and Australia.[2][3] In addition to being redesigned with the stereoscopic 3D effects of the 3DS, it features two new gameplay modes in Rage Relay and Casual Mode. Rage Relay allows the player to play through the game using all four characters in any chosen order, and will switch to the next in line each time they die. Casual Mode allows players to instantly defeat enemies, including bosses, by knocking them to the ground or using combos

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
http://www.soronline.net/sor1_bkm.htm

fuck what the?

Info

Bare Knuckle Mobile is an official SOR game produced in 2008 by SEGA with music by Yuzo Koshiro, designed for play on Java-compatible mobile phone devices. Only ever released in Japan, the game is essentially a remake of SOR1 with higher-resolution graphics. Once again, the story involves our heroes taking on the darkness of the evil Syndicate, in order to stop Mr. X taking over!

There are 2 playable characters: Axel Stone and Blaze Fielding, but Adam fans needn't worry too much: he appears as a training guide in the initial tutorial, and joins you later on in the game to help you out as a CPU-controlled player! (though sadly, he still isn't playable) The game sports some fantastic new, official sprites which have re-imagined some classic SOR1 enemies in a SOR2/3 style, and also features a brand new boss character called Harakiri. There are some new sounds and musical arrangements (though the music is MIDI and fairly low quality). The stages range from completely new to improved versions of those found in SOR1.

Bare Knuckle Mobile is controlled largely with a one-handed interface, in a slightly new interpretation of classic SOR action. In order to attack, you have to approach the enemy and then continue to tap the direction key toward them. Simple enough, and it works surprisingly well. For a pre-smartphone mobile game, this really isn't too bad, and definitely worth a look for any true SOR fan!

edit:
boss exclusive to this version of the game

edit:
info on the making of SOR1, really cool: great site
http://www.soronline.net/sor1_makingof.htm

godhand.png

Last edited:

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Obviously, these are more than valid points of view, I can only disagree but do find the argumentation interesting.
you know what I want to ask you is - do you not feel that with so much power now available to the selected characters, they are greatly overpowered with regards to the mostly very dumb opponents? I would eventually get tired of hitting people in SOR2 and feel that there was something slightly off about the hit boxes. I can't seem to feel that all that power is warranted - once the gloss wears tyhrough, it's just too much. I used to love to pull off many of these moves, but looking back - punch kick jump kick and grab can be enough.
just to bring back Final Fight for a second. the enemy - character challenge, especially when they ganged up and each followed their distinct routine - was in my opinion, perfect.
with SOR1 it was a Double Dragon approach. with SOR2 it was about overkill - a game which came out post Street Fighter 2 and capitalized on what that game did with fighting moves. but it was about fun, not serious technical challenge (not saying the game was easy, I do think it was overlong and stopped providing enough variation after a while).
and also the character design - back then was interesting and even cool - but it hasn't stood the test of time in my opinion - selectable characters look better for the most part in the first part than they do in the second.
as I say, it's just about points of view so I appreciate the mostly SOR2 support from those posting.

Love 1 and love 2. But 3 changed the game for me. And its because of the difficulty. A screw up on the developers end changed the game for the better. No longer are you mindlessly wading through waves of enemies. You have a real sense of accomplishment when you finally make it some where in that game.

Playing 2 player was the only way too. You and your bud each grab a controller, pick your favorite character and take it nice and slow other wise you getted ganked.

Plus the threat of your buddy whooping your butt in the mix was always a real threat.

Too me SoR 3 stands out especially over BK3, but also over the other 2 and its all thanks to the difficulty that I have come to love.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
SOR1 was my intro to the Sega Genesis. My cousin had it, and i remember one Christmas all i did was play SOR1 in his room the whole day. I still didn't have a genesis as a young kid, but my upstairs neighbor did, and they introduced my to SOR2. That game is really special to me, and it was reason alone to own the console. To this day its still my favorite beat em up, and I try to play it a few times a year. SOR3 is great as well. But doesn't capture the magic thats SOR2, but i will say that people sleep on the OST for SOR3. its different sure, but its also fucking good.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
It must be the music in the dance club that gets people all hot and bothered for Sor3.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
SOR3 is such a fantastic game to play during twilight hours when you're tired and maybe a little drunk. Then you beat stage 5 on easy and are told to up the difficulty and you say 'fuck this gay earth' and turn it off. But the next day you remember how cool the boss fight was with those three ninjas in the subway (? it was a subway right).

edit: you know the thing about SOR1 is the bosses are just completely unmemorable. First boss is some bucktoothed retard, second boss is memorable cuz he got the Freddy Krueger going on and third boss is a wrestler based on Warrior, but the others? No idea.

SOR2's first boss was cool as hell though. You see the bartender in the background as you're beating guys up, he goes out, maybe the first time you registered that maybe you didn't who knows it's been 20+ years. Next thing you know you're in the rain and oh fuck it's the bartender but he's boss! Great introduction right there.

edit2: that boring industrial level in SOR1, the boss is just two copies of the level 2 boss. pathetic. lazy. thank fucking god there was that incredible elevator level afterwards.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
You know what really sucks, and didn't help at all?

The first level in SOR3.

Set in a fucking WAREHOUSE. And dudes dressed in suits. Just utterly and totally boring.

The first level of a game is so integral and sets the mood for the game, and Sega just completely blew it here by opening with it in a damned warehouse.

edit: ki you read my mind, I agree, shoulda been the club.

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yep, the club should have been where you start first.

Last edited:

Naika

Street Hoop Star
probably going to be amongst the few here, but i like the first streets of rage the most. is it a better game than the second? probably not, but i really like the music in the first game and how it complements the backgrounds and stages to create a memorable atmosphere. and adam hunter is a badass.

plus, that intro :buttrock:

In the 90s, it was SOR2 all the way for me for a while. It was until I got to my thirties that I suddenly realized that SOR was my favorite. The atmosphere and balance is just spot on, and each character has just enough distinction that it becomes fun to play anyone. The music on 1 is my favorite and really is a product of it's times. SOR2 is a great game but the character balance is awful on hindsight because, frankly, we all just want to play Axel and be done with it. Adam and Blaze on SOR1 were great characters compared to Skate and Max. Sure the sprites were small on SOR1, but it helped to showcase the landscape of the stages, making you feel as though you really were duking it out in the streets. Great game, great atmosphere and my pick over SOR2.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
just watched a longplay of SOR1.

in the credits a dude is named:

THERE IS "NO" ACCOUNTING FOR TASTE.
TINON.

just incredible. right up there with Yukichan's Papa in amazing video game credit names.

wonder what he's doing now

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I have to disagree. I play with Axel the most because I like his fighting style but Blaze and Max are very playable characters, especially Blaze, she is so badass.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
I have to disagree. I play with Axel the most because I like his fighting style but Blaze and Max are very playable characters, especially Blaze, she is so badass.

Blaze is very playable in SOR2 but just wished her fighting style was a big....I dunno faster. Max is alright (esp his slams), but Skate isn't fun.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Blaze is very playable in SOR2 but just wished her fighting style was a big....I dunno faster. Max is alright (esp his slams), but Skate isn't fun.

skate is obviously a nod in DJ Boy's direction. over all the character designs are all over the place

I pray for a sidescroller revival - but as a purist I hope they understand the beauty of the old school and not a million chain combos and thunderbolts by tapping a button.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I pray for a sidescroller revival - but as a purist I hope they understand the beauty of the old school and not a million chain combos and thunderbolts by tapping a button.

If a "revival" were to ever occur, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be combo-centric.

Casual fans assume there were no games released in the genre after 1993. Intricate combo engines don't really fit the RETROSTALIGIA theme people tend to look for.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
If a "revival" were to ever occur, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be combo-centric.

Casual fans assume there were no games released in the genre after 1993. Intricate combo engines don't really fit the RETROSTALIGIA theme people tend to look for.

that I do agree with - but doing a side scrolling beat 'em up right is going to be hard - at least in my book. if I would have to apply a seal of approval for side scrollers in their entire history - being honest and looking at it today - I don't think it would even reach 10 games. I'm not anything other than just another player/admirer of the genre - but I feel I can understand what the right ingredients are.
I am talking about games limited to beating the shit out of punks and street criminals tho