A fresh look at the game Ninja Masters

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Rade Kuruc:
Shito:
Ninja Master's = one of the best games on the system period
What email address do I use if I want to send nude picture of myself to your girlfriend??
lwkusa@Hotmale.com

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
EvilWasabi:
This is pretty much my sentiment as well. When I first saw Ninja Masters displayed as an upcoming game in 1996 off the neogeo.co.jp site, I didn't give a shit. But then when I downloaded the roms and played it on neorage, I was floored. I had to own the game, and so now I do.

The thing about gaming in 1996 was how easy it was to overlook anything that wasn't already established. Last Blade 1 could have beena forgotten game if there wasn't a last blade 2 in 1998 (actually, to a degree, last blade 1 is very underappreciated) - it's just the time period. People were too busy playing other stuff like Tekken 2, Killer instinct 2, Soul Edge, and VF2. Not me, but then I was too focused on SFA2, SSIV, SSIII and ... SSIII. So seeing some no name fighter come out was not too exciting. Especially seeing the ADK logo on it. Back then, my tastes weren't refined enough to understand that ADK kicked ass.

But today, Ninja Masters is one of my most appreciated games. Definitely worth every peeny as a collectors item, and as a gaming piece, priceless.

neobuyer:
Firstly, Kazuya, damn good review there. Top notch.

Ninja Master's has:

1) Best single character in a fighter ever (Karasu)

2) Best combo system I've ever played- don't believe the 'dial-a-combo' BS- this game will reward you, you will start to feel that you've never had such complete control over a fighter. You'll start kicking the crap out of the guy you're playing, and then just sheath your weapon and kick his ass without it- just to show him the degree of ownage you've dropped down upon him. I've played this game 3-4 times a week for a year and I STILL DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING

3) In the top 5 Neo games for best backgrounds.

4) Some of the Neo's best game music, knitting together the Neo's best and most fully realised running theme in any of their fighters, ever.

Don't listen to Rade and Bobak, they've been in Bobak's carport huffing model airplane glue.

Ninja Master's is one of the best playing fighters ever coded. Awesome depth that people 'don't get' for reasons that are pretty unclear. -But I have my theories:

Theory A) Came out in 96- and didn't 'wow' people with the sort of over the top graphics SamSho3 and 4 did. NM went with smaller, tighter, slightly more detailed with very tight animation and blazing fast game speed.

Theory B) People, since they didn't play this game much decided it played like Killer Instinct or some other combo 'gimmick' game and dismissed it.

Theory C) People simply haven't played it enough to scatch the surface, let alone begin to appreciate it's depth.

For another review- Read Garg 7's review at <a href="http://www.neogeotemple.com" target="_blank">www.neogeotemple.com</a> for another spot on review of Ninja Master's.
Another asshole. Fuck, I'll play it once i finish my mvs super gun.

This is one of the most underated fighting games on the Neo. It actually plays better than most of the SamSho games IMO(except SamSho 2). Graphically I can understand why people have overlooked it, but it does play really good, and its play style is one all its own. In fact, this is arguably the best fighting game ADK ever put out(I'm still pretty partial to WH2 myself though). I wonder if SNK owns the rights to these characters? Some would make fine addtions to a future SamSho game, revamped of course.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
This game is a bitch to get on MVS. There must have been like 3 people I've made attempts to get this from after they've made posts in the selling forum and they just never respond (FTL was one of them, bitch). I'm destined to never own this game frown

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
SonGohan:
This game is a bitch to get on MVS. There must have been like 3 people I've made attempts to get this from after they've made posts in the selling forum and they just never respond (FTL was one of them, bitch). I'm destined to never own this game :(
NM isnt to bad, but its extremely loose combo wise. I like some of the bg's and stuff. Something is just missing in it.
I prefer 2k1 to this anyday, the dm cancels make that game great and its much more playable then NM.

Strange that coming from me..

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
SonGohan:
This game is a bitch to get on MVS. There must have been like 3 people I've made attempts to get this from after they've made posts in the selling forum and they just never respond (FTL was one of them, bitch). I'm destined to never own this game :(
I hear ya on that one, it took me a while to be able to pick it up. You are gonna hate me for this I know, but I bought FTL's NM cart... sorry man :)

Hope you manage to find it, it's a great game...

Kaz

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I've played the rom, I like it, and want it for my MVS collection. I love loose combo systems, and this fighter isn't bad by any means, and is a great Neo asset. I don't have a problem with people not selling it to me rather not getting a simple "it's sold" msg, especially when I send pms AND email. I'll own this game.. somebody.. frown

UnCauzi

Crazed MVS Addict
Yknow, I played Ninja Masters and liked the game, but after playing human competition I really found it wanting. I must say some of the designs are pretty neat and the DM's had some thought put into them. Just the canned combos are a bit much for me.

My 2 cents.

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
SonGohan:
I've played the rom, I like it, and want it for my MVS collection. I love loose combo systems, and this fighter isn't bad by any means, and is a great Neo asset. I don't have a problem with people not selling it to me rather not getting a simple "it's sold" msg, especially when I send pms AND email. I'll own this game.. somebody.. :(
I'm sure he didn't do it on purpose... he did have a lot of people emailing/messaging him so he probably missed your msg... I don't think he wouldn't reply on purpose. I'm sure you'll find the game sooner or later though... I have to go on a search for Waku Waku 7 soon when I have the cash, should be fun wink

Kaz

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Kazuya_UK:
SonGohan:
I've played the rom, I like it, and want it for my MVS collection. I love loose combo systems, and this fighter isn't bad by any means, and is a great Neo asset. I don't have a problem with people not selling it to me rather not getting a simple "it's sold" msg, especially when I send pms AND email. I'll own this game.. somebody.. :(
I'm sure he didn't do it on purpose... he did have a lot of people emailing/messaging him so he probably missed your msg... I don't think he wouldn't reply on purpose. I'm sure you'll find the game sooner or later though... I have to go on a search for Waku Waku 7 soon when I have the cash, should be fun wink

Kaz
It's all good man. He just PM'd me saying he had another one coming his way soon. Now it's only a matter if I can scrounge enough cash :)

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
SonGohan:
Kazuya_UK:
SonGohan:

Kaz
It's all good man. He just PM'd me saying he had another one coming his way soon. Now it's only a matter if I can scrounge enough cash :)
Excellent man, hope you get it! :)

Btw, those are some good mp3's on your site! I liked the Esaka one you did especially!

Kaz

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
neobuyer:
Firstly, Kazuya, damn good review there. Top notch.

Ninja Master's has:

1) Best single character in a fighter ever (Karasu)

2) Best combo system I've ever played- don't believe the 'dial-a-combo' BS- this game will reward you, you will start to feel that you've never had such complete control over a fighter. You'll start kicking the crap out of the guy you're playing, and then just sheath your weapon and kick his ass without it- just to show him the degree of ownage you've dropped down upon him. I've played this game 3-4 times a week for a year and I STILL DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING

3) In the top 5 Neo games for best backgrounds.

4) Some of the Neo's best game music, knitting together the Neo's best and most fully realised running theme in any of their fighters, ever.

Don't listen to Rade and Bobak, they've been in Bobak's carport huffing model airplane glue.

Ninja Master's is one of the best playing fighters ever coded. Awesome depth that people 'don't get' for reasons that are pretty unclear. -But I have my theories:

Theory A) Came out in 96- and didn't 'wow' people with the sort of over the top graphics SamSho3 and 4 did. NM went with smaller, tighter, slightly more detailed with very tight animation and blazing fast game speed.

Theory B) People, since they didn't play this game much decided it played like Killer Instinct or some other combo 'gimmick' game and dismissed it.

Theory C) People simply haven't played it enough to scatch the surface, let alone begin to appreciate it's depth.

For another review- Read Garg 7's review at <a href="http://www.neogeotemple.com" target="_blank">www.neogeotemple.com</a> for another spot on review of Ninja Master's.
Well said, NM is a gem, I love the gameplay, the action, the dark atmosphere/tone of the game, the music is foreboding as well.... One of my favorite Neo fighters, too bad there was never a sequel!

SEGA_X

Ninja Combat Warrior
Great review
Ninja Masters is one of my favorite game I have for Neo geo cd.

thundr51

Bead Banger
I've actually had this game for a while and it is pretty good. While I do like the combos, I just can't seem to do much freeform stuff with them. Some vids would be nice... help

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
SEGA_X:
Great review
Just out of interest, how are the load times on the Neo Geo CD version?

Thundr51: Yeah, what we need is a good Ninja Masters tribute site. I'd be up for helping out with something like that, in fact it could be hosted on my site if there was enough interest in it? If there are any experts at the game that could either make vids, do some in depth combo FAQ's or anything like that, or someone that could put together a nice design/gfx for it, post here and maybe we could do it. Ninja Masters deserves more exposure :)

Kaz

thundr51

Bead Banger
SonGohan:
I've played the rom, I like it, and want it for my MVS collection. I love loose combo systems
Just curious, what do you mean by a 'loose' combo system? most of the combo's seem pre-determined... then again, I have trouble doing a 2 in 1 on this game. I'd love to be able to figure out how the combo system works on this game. Somebody get this guy a NM cart!

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Kazuya_UK:
Yeah, what we need is a good Ninja Masters tribute site. I'd be up for helping out with something like that, in fact it could be hosted on my site if there was enough interest in it? If there are any experts at the game that could either make vids, do some in depth combo FAQ's or anything like that, or someone that could put together a nice design/gfx for it, post here and maybe we could do it. Ninja Masters deserves more exposure
I volunteer fan art of Karasu, Goemon and Kamui

<small>[ July 08, 2003, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: neobuyer ]</small>

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
thundr51:
SonGohan:
I've played the rom, I like it, and want it for my MVS collection. I love loose combo systems
Just curious, what do you mean by a 'loose' combo system? most of the combo's seem pre-determined... then again, I have trouble doing a 2 in 1 on this game. I'd love to be able to figure out how the combo system works on this game. Somebody get this guy a NM cart!
You have trouble doing 2 in 1s in this game? I mean, there's a lot of old Street Fighter-ish combos that work in this game (ie: jump in P, crouch L, cancel into fireball with Sasuke). It's easy for me to get those off.. it's just digging deeper into the engine to figure out other, more complex combos.

thundr51

Bead Banger
Ok, so maybe I went a bit overboard saying that I couldn't do a 2in1. loco I think i'm using the b and d buttons too much. I've been playing a lot of KOF98 lately and I use mostly C's and D's when I get close enough and combo off of that. Did a little be of experimenting with tonight and so far things look pretty good nothing noteworthy yet but i'm learning.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I'm not too familiar with the game either. I churn out a few combos by suprise though and then remember how I did them. Here's one I just stumbled upon (best viewed in 1024x768) - <a href="http://snkguitarist.com/ninjamasters/" target="_blank">http://snkguitarist.com/ninjamasters/</a>

I button mash when I do these, but as soon as I see them done I remember what buttons I did mash to make it happen :D

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Bobak:
overrated, worth only the MVS money, if that.
Game isn't overrated. The price certainly is tho on home cart.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
I remember reading a post on here about the game and I loaded it up on MAME one day to pass the time between classes.

Pretty much like Son Gohan I was pretty amazed that w/o really thinking I could pull off 7-8 hit combos. Then again I was using the main character (I forget his name) and he's basically a shoto clone (move input wise) so maybe that's why I had such an easy time with it.

I do plan on purchasing the MVS cart sometime in the future and messing around with it.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Kazuya_UK:
SEGA_X:
Great review
Just out of interest, how are the load times on the Neo Geo CD version?
Around 25 secs. for initial loading, 8 secs. for the chara menu and then about 20-30 secs. between the levels. It does not load between rounds.

thundr51

Bead Banger
I think i'm getting a bit better at this game. Managed to pull together a decent combo with Kasumi

B->BC->qcf+bx3, air throw

only six hits but looks pretty nifty. Still trying to find what else I can do after the juggle hit on gh qcf+Px3. I don't think her DM will connect and I have problems doing her Finisher. anybody got an easier way to do it?

BTW: thanx for the inspiration everyone

UnCauzi

Crazed MVS Addict
I don't see where the depth in the combo system comes from that you all are talking about. The game is relatively riddled with huge combos that can be started from any light attack that are very "canned."

Although I do like the guy with the crows.