$600 for every person, $1200 for every couple. REALLY?

beatifik

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
the article is really vague, but this sounds like a ridiculous and awesome idea all at once!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/24/economic.stimulus/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- U.S. taxpayers would get checks of several hundred dollars from the federal government under a plan to stimulate the economy, congressional and Bush administration officials said Thursday.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson, right, and House Minority Leader John Boehner announce the package Thursday.

"Tens of millions Americans will have a check in the mail," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-California, said at a Capitol Hill news conference. "It is there to strengthen the middle class, to create jobs and to turn this economy around."

House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, said, "I'm looking for quick action in the House. I hope that the Senate will follow quickly so that we can put this money in the hands of middle-income Americans as soon as possible."

Speaking a few minutes later at the White House, President Bush said the package will "boost our economy and encourage job creation."

Sources on Capitol Hill and at the Treasury Department said the plan would send checks of $600 to individuals and $1,200 to couples who paid income tax and who filed jointly.

People who did not pay federal income taxes but who had earned income of more than $3,000 would get checks of $300 per individual or $600 per couple.

A Democratic aide and Republican aide said there will be an additional amount per child, which could be in the neighborhood of $300.

Those who earn up to $75,000 individually or up to $150,000 as a couple will be eligible for the payments, said Republican and Democratic sources familiar with the tentative deal.

Pelosi said as many as 116 million American families will get a rebate check.

Checks could be in taxpayer mailboxes by June, according to an Associated Press report.

The agreement includes a robust package of business incentives and help for homeowners facing possible mortgage foreclosures.

The Treasury Department still must analyze the numbers to determine the price tag of the stimulus package, sources said.

To get to the agreement, Democrats dropped calls for increases in food stamps and an extension of unemployment compensation. Republicans agreed to allow people who pay Social Security taxes but not income taxes to get the checks, sources said.

"This package has the right set of policies and is the right size," Bush said Thursday. "The incentives in this package will lead to higher consumer spending and increased business investment this year."

He added, "This package recognizes that lowering taxes is a powerful and efficient way to help consumers and businesses."

The stimulus package may face resistance from fiscal conservatives in both parties over worries that it would increase the federal debt. Auditors report that the federal deficit -- the difference between what the government takes in and what it spends -- is increasing.

The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office estimated Wednesday the deficit would jump to $250 billion, mainly because of a weakening economy. That estimate does not include any additional spending that would be part of a stimulus package.

The proposal is intended to address economic worries stemming from a worldwide credit crunch created by the mortgage crisis and plunging stock markets. The president proposed the package last week. Watch a debate on whether the U.S. is heading into a recession »

Officials in both parties credited Paulson, the former Goldman Sachs executive known for a shrewd grasp of the markets, with pushing the package aggressively.

"He's been on the phone with practically every member of Congress -- some of them a few times," one Senate Republican aide said. "He's not fooling around."

Marek

Banned
"to create jobs"

I swear to god this is the most inane thing I have ever heard. Yes. This check will create a job for me. Whenever the government wants to pass of a horrible idea they say it will "create jobs."

How about fixing loopholes that encourage outsourcing? That would create some jobs.

If I get a check I will spend it on drugs, booze, and explosives.

I AM SO FUCKING SICK OF LIVING IN AMERICA /angst

seriously though. I feel like every day I wake up into a nightmare...

Last edited:

DJDD

Morden's Lackey
Populous said:
seriously though. I feel like every day I wake up into a nightmare...

you call this a nightmare?? how about waking up every morning in Iraq, or how about Nigeria, Botswana, Somalia, Ethiopia, Afghanistan, Romania...I could go on and on. The average salary in some of these countries wouldn't amount to what you pay a year on eating out a couple of times a week. Sure our economy is in the crapper, our current president is a moron, and our presidential candidates are worth less than an abandoned turd in a toilet bowl, but at least we can walk out the door in the morning without worrying if our own government is going to shoot us because of an off color comment we made two weeks ago (I hope so anyways). So quit yer bitchin and wait for a check in the mail that will probably never come.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
I guess this is one time that it does pay to have kids. $300 per:D

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm not really fond of this $600 check idea.

Who's paying for it?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Surprised the fuckfaces in congress didn't make it payout on Nov3, 2008

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
wasabi said:

Who's paying for it?
They're going to pull out of Iraq tonight.

Wait, no, then we'd all get $10,000 checks.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
terrible futurama-esque idea.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Haha, just enough to cover the christmas season credit card bill.

Who the hell are they kidding though, create jobs? Come on. The nation has to be working towards a common goal before internal growth can be established. Right now that isnt happening, there is a disease in america right now. Its called greed.

Eliminate that and you eliminate much of the countries problems leveling things in the end.

2 percent of the population owns 50 percent of the land. That pretty much puts a strain on everybody and the gap is only widening. Better money distribution would take the tension off and promote a more stable economy.

Canada would probably be in teh same boat, but we have huge amounts of immigration keeping us afloat, and a shitload of resources to leach off of.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
wasabi said:

Who's paying for it?

Say what?

All the Treasury Department has to do is keep on printing them bills!

lolz

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
SpamYouToDeath said:
They're going to pull out of Iraq tonight.

Wait, no, then we'd all get $10,000 checks.

hahahaha.

seriously, I thought our currency was already devalued enough.

striderpunk

Member # 6311,
wasabi said:

Who's paying for it?
169px-Hu_Jintao%2C_Nov_13%2C_2004.jpg

enough said.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'm going to post some more shit up for sale tonight so I can get some of your american free money as well.

Also; lol @ wizkid calling America a greed-diseased country when he won't even think twice about judging you based on your material possessions. Oh, shit, I forgot, Wizzy's a moron.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Lagduf said:
Say what?

All the Treasury Department has to do is keep on printing them bills!

lolz

Maybe it'll end up like the Weimar Republic? :spock:

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
dark penguin said:
Maybe it'll end up like the Weimar Republic? :spock:

Where's that pic of the kid with the wheelbarrow full of money?

THATS YOU UHMERICA!!!

edit: it was a pyramid, not a wheelbarrow. Doh.

weimar2.jpg

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Going straight to the credit cards ... drop in the fucking bucket. :oh_no:

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Rade said:
I'm going to post some more shit up for sale tonight so I can get some of your american free money as well.

Also; lol @ wizkid calling America a greed-diseased country when he won't even think twice about judging you based on your material possessions. Oh, shit, I forgot, Wizzy's a moron.

Dude, I am not greedy. Please remind yourself who said, oh dont worry about the time you ripped me off on ebay, I decided to be nice because you were somebody from this site. I didnt know you personally and still let you off.

I also sometimes include free shit when people buy stuff off me. Just for the hell of it.

Dont twist your facts around man, I judge you because you acted like a douchebag. Some people may not like me for my views, but ethically, I am as straight up as they come.

Now back to the program.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Rade said:
Where's that pic of the kid with the wheelbarrow full of money?

THATS YOU UHMERICA!!!

edit: it was a pyramid, not a wheelbarrow. Doh.

weimar2.jpg

No worries...pyramids and money go great together. Amway!

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Kim _Kaphwan said:
terrible futurama-esque idea.

Excellent. My favorite episode. Period.

If that kind of hilarity ensues IRL, I'm all for this idea.