6-slot carts problems

Steve Death FFS

Armored Scrum Object
Hi all.

I need help.

In my 6 slot mvs only 3 slot works fine but the remaining 3 are working bad.

(slots 2-3-6 are ok, slots 1-4-5 works bad)

i get the picture like a "bad insert" aes cart in a aes system...

The 5v voltage is +/- 4.80

can someone help me?

Thanks,

Steve.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Have you tried cleaning the bad working slots cart connectors..
They may be dirty or have some corrosion built up..
Do the carts go in tight?

The tech guys should be here soon enough to help..

Steve Death FFS

Armored Scrum Object
Thanks Chris1,

I have cleaned all the slot...

but nothing is changed.

crying

The carts go in "so so" tight, however not tight like my 1 slot...

Cleaning all the pcb can help a bit?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Steve Death FFS:
Thanks Chris1,

but nothing is changed.

crying

Cleaning all the pcb can help a bit?
Hmmm...the connecters may be worn out..or a few of them are bent to far back to make contact..

The wierd thing is that it's 3 bad slots..

Does this occur with every game..
Try cleaning the games real well too...and don't press them all the way in..

I need a Tech guy in here..with a 6 slot..
Hello... help :)

apus

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
4.8V seems a bit low for a 6-slot. For example: My 2-slot works well with 5.05 but has problems running at 4.95 (erroneous picture). Did you try to increase the value (~5.1V)?

Greets

Dennis

Steve Death FFS

Armored Scrum Object
Thanks again Chris1 and Dennis for your hints.

Board cleaned up, and voltage resized.

but...

nothing is changed.

Someone can/wants to help me, Please?

help

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Steve Death FFS:
Thanks again Chris1 and Dennis for your hints.

Board cleaned up, and voltage resized.

but...

nothing is changed.

Someone can/wants to help me, Please?

help
Damn that sucks..
I hope someone can help you..

help

candycab

Vice's Love Slave
apus:
4.8V seems a bit low for a 6-slot. For example: My 2-slot works well with 5.05 but has problems running at 4.95 (erroneous picture). Did you try to increase the value (~5.1V)?

Greets

Dennis
Hmm I was going to suggest the same thing.

Im sure tttooodddyy or MKL may have some ideas on this. But there is the possibility that the slots are just geeked too.
Like Chris said make sure the slots are spotless and the pins arent bend inwards too much , make sure your carts are clean as well.

<small>[ April 30, 2003, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: candycab ]</small>

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Steve Death FFS:
The question is how you cleaned them... Note that you should clean not only the area where the cart goes in but also the small interstice between the PCB and the plastic of the slot: dust and dirt are prone to slip inside thus causing shortings. The only way to effectively clean that area is compressed air. I once solved a similar problem on a SNES by cleaning underneath the slot. Actually, on my 4-slot I use to cover those interstices with some tape.

And BTW, have you tried to insert in the bad slots the carts that work well in the other slots?

Steve Death FFS:
Do you see any slot pins that are bent backwards, thus not making a good contact with the cart? If so, take a needle and bend its point so that it becomes a hook and use it to pull the pins back into place.

<small>[ April 28, 2003, 07:32 AM: Message edited by: MKL ]</small>

Steve Death FFS

Armored Scrum Object
So...

Can be only a problem of "bad pin connection" or "dirty board" or can be a problem
of "electronic parts"?

I'm asking this because i REALLY cleaned up the board with soap and compressed air, but... nothing is changed.

Are all the slot connected to their respectives electronic components or all the slots are connected together (and switched only by the "select" button)?

thanx again you all.

Steve.

candycab

Vice's Love Slave
Hey MKL ? since this is a 6 Slot board , could it be the actuall connection between the 2 pcb boards ?

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
I would recommend isopropyl alcohol instead of soap. That's what I used at Hitachi when I worked there.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Soap wtf, clean the slots thouroughly
<a href="http://www.hardmvs.com/html/slotCleaning.htm" target="_blank">http://www.hardmvs.com/html/slotCleaning.htm</a>
and the cart connections for that matter.

Regarding the 5 volt rail, Ive found 5.2 volts best on my 6 slots, measure it at the board jamma/mvs edge connect not the psu as there will be drop in the wiring.

I would split the boardset and clean the dust and cobwebbs off the bottom board, may as well check the battery for leakage onto the board. If its looking dodgy just snip it out for the time being. It will not cause the problem you have but ditch it if leaking before you get a corrosion problem.

With the boards split check for obvious dry joints/loose connections on the underside especially around the sockets.

Maybe bent or loose sockets, but that should be fairly apparent.

With the board running and all slots occupied, try gently twisting or moving side to side one of carts in the faulty slots as you select games. You may get a make or break situation that would confirm a slot/ cart continuety problem.

Good luck.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Steve Death FFS:
So...

Can be only a problem of "bad pin connection" or "dirty board" or can be a problem
of "electronic parts"?

I'm asking this because i REALLY cleaned up the board with soap and compressed air, but... nothing is changed.

Are all the slot connected to their respectives electronic components or all the slots are connected together (and switched only by the "select" button)?

thanx again you all.

Steve.
There are a bank of SN74 ttl switching ICs (dozens) involved in the cart switching, if you were unlucky there may be a faulty Sn74 or two, but it shouldnt have the effect you descrbe imho.
How do they look, they can literally burn up when they fail. Especially with a reatively high VCC current available as we have with mvs power supplies.
You could try touching the ICs after running the boardset for a while, really hot means really fucked.

Reckon its something more fundimental.

Nightmare Tony where are you :)

<small>[ May 01, 2003, 07:39 AM: Message edited by: ttooddddyy ]</small>

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
Thought of something else. On boards with lots of electrolytic capacitors, it's not good to submerge them in liquid. It can get inside the cap and cause problems. This was a rule at Hitachi, we couldn't run a board through the automatic washer if it had electrlytic caps installed already. It had to be washed without them, and have them manually installed afterward.

Another good cleaner is Axarel electronics cleaner. Works wonders, especially on solder flux residue.

And for those that don't know, NeoGeo falls into the category of boards with lots of caps.

Steve Death FFS

Armored Scrum Object
ttooddddyy:
Soap wtf, clean the slots thouroughly
<a href="http://www.hardmvs.com/html/slotCleaning.htm" target="_blank">http://www.hardmvs.com/html/slotCleaning.htm</a>
and the cart connections for that matter.
Yeah, I have cleaned up the board following this guide.

Erroneously I have said "soap" in order to simplify the speech.

tomorrow I will try to clean up the second one.

Thanks again.

Steve. :)

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Reznor007:
And for those that don't know, NeoGeo falls into the category of boards with lots of caps.
The upper board on a 6-slot, i.e. the only board that Steve was supposed to clean, has only 2 capacitors...

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
Well, looking at my 1 slot, it has several in the audio section.

Also, even 1 cap can be altered by liquid residue left in it.

Steve Death FFS

Armored Scrum Object
ok let's try to describe what i see on the screen..

slot 1: all the sprites have white "vertical" lines.

slot 2: ok

slot 3: i can see only the sprites in the "first plan", a.k.a ---> life bars and super bars on fighting games and scores in Super Side Kick, nothing in the background (it's "all black")...

slot 4: (version one) screen white, with light signs of sprites movement or (versio two) all the screen are F*+*d up with some LARGE (and colored) vertical lines.

slot 5: ok

slot 6: ok

The sound work great on all slots.

Sorry for make you bad with my problem.

thanks

Steve.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
WoW!..
"My" only answer would be that not every connector is making good enough contact to the carts.

Is this the same with every cart combination you put in the machine..?

I'm not sure if this is ok to do but I would move the carts slightly while this is happening to see if any changes occur.

Sort of like moving a cart around in a Blink Syndrome Nintendo..