4 slot power needs??

Toby

Zero's Secretary
Im sure this has been posted before but i cant find it.

Would i be correct in saying an sc200 doesnt have suficiant current ( cant find a equivelent in the uk)

Would a pc AT psu be good enough?

Is there any info out there on running these boards just with 5volts ive read people have done it?

CHeeRs:help:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I wouldn't recommend a Sc-200....

Not reliable enough...

You can run it off 5v..... if you can supply enough.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
iirc the 4 slot needs at least 5A and the 6 slot 7A on the +5v.

This is what I recommended:

1 Slot - 2A
2 Slot - 3A
4 Slot - 5A
6 Slot - 7A

Just remember this is only for the board not + cart load. If you have additional stuff that would contribute to the load then you might need to adjust depending on what you add on.

Last edited:

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Would it be okay to use a PC power supply that offers +5 and +12, only at higher amperages?

Toby

Zero's Secretary
What would be the best PSU to use? is the 12v just for audio? has anyone written up how to consolize a 4 slot?

I did a 2 slot a couple of years ago it was quite crude from what i remember i just wired directly to the connector. Id like to do this one a bit neater wiring to the most direct points on the PCB.

as im in the UK i dont need to worry about the video issues just RGB and sync to the TV?

Any help is very welcome

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Would it be okay to use a PC power supply that offers +5 and +12, only at higher amperages?

Yes, the board only pulls what it needs. Amps are like Horsepower, you only use it when it's needed.

What would be the best PSU to use? is the 12v just for audio? has anyone written up how to consolize a 4 slot?

I did a 2 slot a couple of years ago it was quite crude from what i remember i just wired directly to the connector. Id like to do this one a bit neater wiring to the most direct points on the PCB.

as im in the UK i dont need to worry about the video issues just RGB and sync to the TV?

Any help is very welcome

+12v is only used for the audio. Maybe MKL knows how to consolize a 4 slot only using +5v. I only know 1 and 2 slots. You can use a multimeter to follow traces from the MVS edge back to under the cover to find tap points.

If you have a regular SCART TV then yes you do not need to worry about encoders as SCARTs take straight RGB. You can either make a SCART socket on your 4 slot or wire up an A/V port like that on an AES.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Xian Xi: FYI, that is not entirely true.

Many SCART inputs on TV's only have the composite wired up, not the RGB.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
I'm going to consolize a 4-slot so I did some measurements to establish the current draw and choose a PSU accordingly.
Note that my 4-slot is the older/bigger version but there is a newer/smaller one that is probably slightly less power hungry.

It turns out a fully loaded (older) 4-slot draws more than 5A on +5V. Note that the current draw will be a little higher with some other carts (with higher meg counts).
So a PSU rated at least +5V/6A will be necessary for a consolization (yes, I'm doing it without +12V).
An AT(X) PSU will of course be fine if one doesn't mind the bulkiness/ugliness.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'm going to consolize a 4-slot so I did some measurements to establish the current draw and choose a PSU accordingly.
Note that my 4-slot is the older/bigger version but there is a newer/smaller one that is probably slightly less power hungry.

It turns out a fully loaded (older) 4-slot draws more than 5A on +5V. Note that the current draw will be a little higher with some other carts (with higher meg counts).
So a PSU rated at least +5V/6A will be necessary for a consolization (yes, I'm doing it without +12V).
An AT(X) PSU will of course be fine if one doesn't mind the bulkiness/ugliness.

Always great info MKL. Just to be safe can you run a current draw test using ALL high meg count games? I would think it would have to be games that are at least 600+ for a max run.

Thanks