4 player Supergun?

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
How is this accomplished on a home setup? Is an adapter necessary for every game?

neo-geo 2

Raiden's Valet
howdy,
for most games player 3 and 4 controls are outputed via molex connectors beside the jamma harness. you would have to make a harness for every game you had. some games (ghostbusters) uses the jamma harness for the controls by using unused slots on the harness.

Darklighterx

20 Year Member
Damn, you mean to say, that for every 3-4 player game, an extra harness must be constructed?
Say, for instance, I want to play Alien vs Predator on a supergun (in this case, a Super Nova), it comes stock, with 2 controllers. If I want a third player, I must build an extra harness, just for this specific game, right?
What if I want to play Golden Axe The Return of Death Adder? Another custom harness must be made, for enabling 4 players?
Man, if this is true, is surely sounds complicated. Were these types of harnesses sold premmade, or included with the full kit of these types of games?
Thanks.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Daklighterx:
Say, for instance, I want to play Alien vs Predator on a supergun (in this case, a Super Nova), it comes stock, with 2 controllers. If I want a third player, I must build an extra harness, just for this specific game, right?
Well, since AvP is not the only CPS2 game to have a 3 player option you will be able to use the same harness for some other CPS games.
So we can say that an auxiliary harness is platform-specific rather than game-specific.

Rigel

The Ultimate 11
MKL:
Well, since AvP is not the only CPS2 game to have a 3 player option you will be able to use the same harness for some other CPS games.
So we can say that an auxiliary harness is platform-specific rather than game-specific.
Also, for example, TMNT and Captain America use the same harness for players 3 and 4.

RiotoftheBlood

Chin's Drinking Partner
I figured out a way to completely and properly support both 2 player / 6 push and 3 player / push (the latter is what AvP uses) modes WITHOUT changing any wires. All the mode change requires is the flip of a switch.

What makes adding support for 3+ players extremely difficult for CPS2 games is the fact that some of auxillary harness pins for 3P are the same as the ones used for 1P and 2P kicks! You'd think, that with 34 pins on the connector, there would have been a better layout for the functions... I mean, you could have 10 pins for player 3 (coin, start, up, down, left, right, push 1, push 2, push 3, push 4), another 10 pins for player 4, 6 buttons for kicks, and 3 for the volume control. That would leave another 5 pins for extra grounds, which are the same as the grounds on the JAMMA harness anyway.

If you really want to rack your brain, try coming up with a way to implement 4P 4PUSH and 2P 6PUSH modes without some MASSIVE switching routines. I don't believe it can be done.

The 4th buttons for 1P and 2P really take any hopes of making such a system straight to hell, because some games use the JAMMA harness for the 4th button and some use the Auxillary connector.

Such confusion... But at least the 2P 6PUSH / 3P 3 PUSH thing can be done without too much trouble. Unfortunately, the only games that would fully benefit form this are Alien vs. Predator and Battle Circuit, as far as I know.

<small>[ August 29, 2003, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: RiotoftheBlood ]</small>

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
My supergun is setup for 4 players, I just haven't built 4 controllers yet. Here's all my 4 player games: TMNT, Simpsons, Xmen, NBA Hangtime, and NFL Blitz '99.

Darklighterx

20 Year Member
So, are these harnesses included with full kits, or does one buy them seperately?

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Daklighterx:
So, are these harnesses included with full kits, or does one buy them seperately?
It depends on the game... Usually, if it really is a full kit it will come with the specific harness, and you'll have to wire the end that doesn't go to the board to your controller needs. You can find most of these harness in ebay or arcade on-line stores (check Bob Roberts, he may even construct them on request). Constructing them yourself is another option, as long as you have access to the specific molex connectors used.