3DS 'downlaodable' version, what a rip!

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
Physical and download versions being the same price is ridiculous. However, there must be a good number of people paying the price for the digital downloads. I think it's just a matter of time until download versions will be the only option.

Absolutely.
And then what happens to the 'dedicated' physical games shops?
They won't survive on hardware and peripherals and people will just be buying and downloading online.
Hardware will be a sideline for electrical retailers and supermarkets.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Giving away your customer rights for the sake of convenience is foolish end of story. We have already accepted paying for beta versions of software that are upgraded multiple times after purchase because of the ridiculous AAA budgets and crunch times these developers are held to.
You can bet your ass once this final transition happens, you will be forced into buying whatever hardware they sling in order to play a game you already purchased, and that's not even taking into consideration the fact once their servers for said games that always require an online connection go away, so does your right to play it.
In short, don't be a fucking dingus.

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
I have to say that I can't think of anything more at odds with the historic attitudes of the Neo community than digital downloads.

And as people have pointed out earlier in this thread, it's clearly a sign of things to come.
Like with music, eventually downloads will likely be the only game in town.
For all consoles and PC's I would expect.

An unintended consequence might be that in 10 years the retro collectable games scene might exclusively be what we have now!
That could be good news for the cartridge based and more hardy disk based systems.

Last edited:

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
An unintended consequence might be that in 10 years the retro collectable games scene might exclusively be what we have now!
That could be good news for the cartridge based and more hardy disk based systems.

I dunno about that! If that's the case, we might live to see a 1500$ Super Mario 3.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I really do like being all digital, especially in a handheld, but fuck paying full price. If a physical version is $40 then the digital should be $30 or so.

This. My only thing is I prefer physcial copies to rub my cock marks all over. My only issue with digital shit is when it vanishes online, you can probably never get it back again. I've bought digital only releases before but if I have a choice between the two, it's physical.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Count me in with the other old curmudgeons who prefer hard copies. I'm the same way with music, the only digital versions of songs I have are mp3s from download codes that came with LPs.

Chef McM

n00b
I'm also the sort to prefer physical copies in most instances. I do buy digital only games on PSN and XBLA, but I have real issues with Nintendo's digital service. They put some pretty draconian restrictions on digital content. The fact that purchases are still tied to console rather than an account is lousy. If your system is lost, stolen, or breaks, you lose your content unless you can convince Nintendo support to take pity on you. You are also restricted in how many times you can transfer the content. I've actually used up my 5 transfers for 3ds between upgrading to an XL and buying a few different collectors models.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
You are also restricted in how many times you can transfer the content. I've actually used up my 5 transfers for 3ds between upgrading to an XL and buying a few different collectors models.

Actually, recent patches removed this restriction, you can now transfer as much as you like! I think there was also something about games being account tied.. but I don't think its as flexible as say.. ANY other service in that regard.

ArmoredGecko

Quiz Detective
I've always sort of accepted that Steam charged the same amount as physical copies because they run sales so often (and so low). But for consoles I always liked having a physical copy. Watching a sibling play while reading the manual is a time honored tradition that shouldn't be forgotten. Plus the art on some game cases, and carts/discs is pretty damn cool and I'll be sad to see it phased out. Having a physical copy of Mega Man 9 and 10 would make my year.