3DS / 3DS XL gets another hardware update

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
If this allows me to play 3d games with the 3d on, without getting sick I'm down. I bought the 3d at launch and later upgraded to the XL so I guess that makes me a sucker and I should have reason to be pissed, but I'm over it.

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
I want to get a regular ds for right now and spend only like $50 for one, I was going to buy a used ds lite, but started checking out the dsi xl and wondered if it would be worth paying a little more for the bigger screens? Any pro's/cons for the dsi xl? I really want to get that new 3ds when it comes state side, but I have had an itch to play some old ds games. Any comments on the different models would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I want to get a regular ds for right now and spend only like $50 for one, I was going to buy a used ds lite, but started checking out the dsi xl and wondered if it would be worth paying a little more for the bigger screens? Any pro's/cons for the dsi xl? I really want to get that new 3ds when it comes state side, but I have had an itch to play some old ds games. Any comments on the different models would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The 3DS is backwards compatible with all DS games that do not require accessories.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member

The DSi XL imo is the best for any original DS software. The 3DS while backwards compatiable doesn't display the games as good as it does on the DSi XL mainly due to native resolution issues. Imo if you have a large DS library of titles then the DSi XL is the best hands down for it.

If you really want to look at it in another light.

Gameboy, Gameboy color games play best on a GBA SP.
Gameboy Advance Software looks best on a DS, DSi or Gamecube Gameboy Player.

DS Games look best on a DSi XL.

And well 3DS games at this time look best on a 3DS XL tho from what the new unit has I'm sure that'll change when it's out.

Last edited:

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
It's called the 3DS because you buy it 3 times before you're finally through. :keke:

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Heh I guess but even so I hope this'll be the last revision for awhile even tho I've played the everliving hell out of my 3DS XL.

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
The DSi XL imo is the best for any original DS software. The 3DS while backwards compatiable doesn't display the games as good as it does on the DSi XL mainly due to native resolution issues. Imo if you have a large DS library of titles then the DSi XL is the best hands down for it.

If you really want to look at it in another light.

Gameboy, Gameboy color games play best an a GBA SP.
Gameboy Advance Software looks best on a DS, DSi or Gamecube Gameboy Player.

DS Games look best on a DSi XL.

And well 3DS games at this time look best on a 3DS XL tho from what the new unit has I'm sure that'll change when it's out.

Thanks for the info man. I had an original ds then a ds lite when they came out. I sold it but have really been wanting to play some ds lately. I wanted a 3ds xl, but this new revision seems like it's worth it to wait. I'd rather only invest like $50 right now and save up for the new 3ds whenever it comes out here.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Thanks for the info man. I had an original ds then a ds lite when they came out. I sold it but have really been wanting to play some ds lately. I wanted a 3ds xl, but this new revision seems like it's worth it to wait. I'd rather only invest like $50 right now and save up for the new 3ds whenever it comes out here.

Right now even if you splash on it a lil extra, a DSi XL is pretty solid. The ONLY complaint I've had about the 3DS is in terms of sound. I.E. You can have the volume at max but you can't hear shit if there's anything going on in the background so you're pretty much wearing headphones 24/7 when using it.

The DSi XL speakers are solid as hell. Nice, crisp clean sound, and overall a very colorful screen for the games you'd want to play on it. I bought mine brand new years ago and I still get a ton of play out of it even today. Don't even get me started on some of the games that came out over the years that sold me on this thing. Not even talking Poke'mon or Mario either. lol

Case in point this little gem.

Monster-Tale-DS-Cover-E-333x300.jpg

Think of it like a Metroidish game only with the way you progress, you get an actual combo system when fighting monsters. Very colorful sprites & well animated along with a very well done soundtrack.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Monster Tale is so good! I still want a DSi XL

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I kept waiting to find a good deal on an XL locally after everyone kept finding new ones for like $90 and I never found any.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I kept waiting to find a good deal on an XL locally after everyone kept finding new ones for like $90 and I never found any.

I kept missing those sales too, I but on the one I have now for 120.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member

Just bite the bullet and get it. The system is a keeper. I kinda wish I got the Mario unit tho. Red is my favorite color.

Last edited:

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Heh I guess but even so I hope this'll be the last revision for awhile even tho I've played the everliving hell out of my 3DS XL.

Yeah, I think this'll be the absolute last revision I buy. Lord knows I've lost too much money already by buying and reselling my 3DS systems.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Just bite the bullet and get it. The system is a keeper. I kinda wish I got the Mario unit tho. Red is my favorite color.
Yeah, next time I find a new one I might just bite the bullet, damn the price. I wonder if any retailers still have them in stock.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Yeah, next time I find a new one I might just bite the bullet, damn the price. I wonder if any retailers still have them in stock.

Fuck the price dude..

Look at this baby....

Super-Mario-25th-Anniversary-DSi-XL.jpg

There is no price on love..

P.S. Next chance I get I'll be willing to blow thru 2 bills to get this new. Its just too nice to pass up on.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Naturally, that one is more expensive than the rest!

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Naturally, that one is more expensive than the rest!

Well it comes with Mario Kart as a pack-in which is w/e to me but I like the simple icons on the front of the unit.